McGill Faculty of Medicine (M.D., C.M.) Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoomsy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It might be nice and useful for people who are starting this August at McGill to know who's going to be their future classmates...and a little background info...

(please add any extra fields...)

SDN Name: Hoomsy

Cohert: International Applicant

High School Location: North Andover, Massachusetts

Previous Education: B.Sc., Chemistry (McGill), M.Sc., Chemical Engineering (McGill)

Academic Interests: Bioinformatics Research, Biotechnology Research

Non Academic/Medical Interests: Snowboarding, Traveling, Poker

Languages: English, Farsi, German (little), Spanish (very little), French (bonjour?)

Favourite Beer: Guinness, Kilkenny

Plan B (If you did not go into medicine): Professional race car driver

Members don't see this ad.

I think everybody should add one category as we go along. I'm adding mine because of a really irritating thread in "Topics in Healthcare"...

SDN Name: trustwomen

Cohort: Quebec resident, MDCM (not Med-P)

High School Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Previous Education: B.Sc., Biology (Concordia), B.S.Sc., Sociology (University of Ottawa), B.S.Sc., Political Science (University of Ottawa)

Academic Interests (in no particular order): ethics, psychology, neurology, reproductive health, immunology, genetics, sociology, economics, political theory, feminist theory, and the list just keeps growing the longer I'm in school...

Non Academic/Medical Interests: travel, politics, reading, writing, activism, RPGs, dreaming in colour, getting lost in the hypnotic cuteness of my cats.

Languages: English, French, Spanish

Favourite Beer: raspberry lambic (but I usually order a cider anyway)

Plan B (If you did not go into medicine): try, try again - failing that, maybe health policy, or professional activism (a.k.a. non-profit work).

People Who Helped You Make It To Med School: my mum, my boyfriend, and a whole lot of mentors and friends around the world.

Cohort: Quebec resident, MDCM

High School Location: South Florida

Previous Education: B.S. Psychology and Biology at the University of North Florida

Academic Interests: psychobiology, molecular and cellular biology, genetics, neurology, oncology

Non Academic/Medical Interests: swimming, traveling, kite surfing, reading

Languages: French, English

Plan B -- flight attendent

Have you guys figured out how to accept your offer on Minerva? I'll see you guys in a few months!

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that getting into medical school isn't easy anywhere (at least in Canada), but just how much more difficult is it for an OOP student to get into McGill?

akinf said:
I understand that getting into medical school isn't easy anywhere (at least in Canada), but just how much more difficult is it for an OOP student to get into McGill?

Nearly impossible. I think this year they got ~400 OOP applications for 5-7 spots. You are 5 times more likely to get accepted to Harvard than to McGill as an OOP. While the numbers applying to McGill aren't much different than other schools the available spots are. Most schools have 10-15. Mcgill only has the 5. So sadly no love for OOPs.

ssc_396 said:
Nearly impossible. I think this year they got ~400 OOP applications for 5-7 spots. You are 5 times more likely to get accepted to Harvard than to McGill as an OOP. While the numbers applying to McGill aren't much different than other schools the available spots are. Most schools have 10-15. Mcgill only has the 5. So sadly no love for OOPs.

You know, lets look at McGill a little bit more analytically to determine if it even is as good a place to go to for all of us OOP.

1. Is it even as good as everyone says. McGill has a solid reputation it has built over many years, but is the medical school even that good? The facilities aren't that good, they are old and in dire need of money.

2. You are essentially trying to get into a school that only wants one type of person, Quebec-born and Quebec-raised.

3. When you look at the residency programs compared to other schools, is it even any better. My new Kaplan teacher described U of T hospitals as "shopping malls" and McGill as riding on it's reputation because it's facilities do, in fact, suck.

4. You would be dishing out extraoridinary amounts of money compared to other schools as an OOP student.

5. I'm not exactly sure how many students enter right from CEGEP, but wouldn't it be awkward sitting in a class with a bunch of youngins. I mean sure they are none of your concern, but what do you do outside of class in a province you aren't from with a bunch of people who speak a different language?

6. I still stand by the fact that McGill is a good school, but is it really as good as everyone makes it out to be.

7. This is not a rant about McGill, just an alternative view.

8. Consider what I have just said and reply with what you think.

Everyone always talks about the "facilities". What does this refer to? As far as I can tell in the first two years of med school the only "facilities" you make use of are the anatomy lab, histology lab, and some lecture halls. Believe me there is not that much variation amongst schools (comparing mainly with the US). The main thing mcgill lacks IMO is information technology - not enough computers, bad wireless connections, lack of server space. Still, our online note system is pretty good. Btw they are building an entirely new biomed research building so they can't be *that* strapped for money. And "shopping malls" are not necessarily the best place to gain clinical skills.

I went to an undergrad school with more money than it knew what to do with and sure the library had fancy carpeting but I assure you this had no impact on how "good" the school's education was. Med school especially is about you and the books and the cadavers (the latter of which, in contrast, to money, mcgill seems to receive a steady supply).

I'm sure Mcgill "wants" to have more people from out of Quebec, this enhances their international reputation, but Quebec has a doctor shortage and Quebec students are more likely to stay and practice there. A small percentage of the class speaks mostly french outside of class.

I don't think the out of province tuition is more than going to U of T but you'd have to check on that.

I have no idea whether mcgill is a "good choice" for OOP but try not to propagate misinformation.

akinf said:
You know, lets look at McGill a little bit more analytically to determine if it even is as good a place to go to for all of us OOP.

1. Is it even as good as everyone says. McGill has a solid reputation it has built over many years, but is the medical school even that good? The facilities aren't that good, they are old and in dire need of money.

2. You are essentially trying to get into a school that only wants one type of person, Quebec-born and Quebec-raised.

3. When you look at the residency programs compared to other schools, is it even any better. My new Kaplan teacher described U of T hospitals as "shopping malls" and McGill as riding on it's reputation because it's facilities do, in fact, suck.

4. You would be dishing out extraoridinary amounts of money compared to other schools as an OOP student.

5. I'm not exactly sure how many students enter right from CEGEP, but wouldn't it be awkward sitting in a class with a bunch of youngins. I mean sure they are none of your concern, but what do you do outside of class in a province you aren't from with a bunch of people who speak a different language?

6. I still stand by the fact that McGill is a good school, but is it really as good as everyone makes it out to be.

7. This is not a rant about McGill, just an alternative view.

8. Consider what I have just said and reply with what you think.

akinf said:

I have heard that the more run-down the hospital, the better the clinical training (just an opinion of a doc I know); his quote was "the med students run the wards like a scene out of Lord of the Flies, making you a clinical powerhouse that cannot be touched - whereas at the top hospitals they won't even let you touch a patient for fear of being sued". I have no idea if this is true though.

I do know McGill gets a fraction of the funding of other schools, and still does pretty well for itself. I'm no fan of Maclean's, but I assume they judge schools based on more than just "reputation". However, all Canadian schools provide a solid medical education, that can be favourably compared to that of the better American schools. I think OOPs should go where they can get in, and where they will be happy. In the end, we can't say what some people will prefer. McGill was my first choice for a dozen reasons other than their reputation.

BTW, McGill doesn't "want" provincial residents per se - the provincial government strictly limits their # of non-Quebec students, and strictly limits their funding to boot. Language issues also muddy the waters - McGill can't get a new facility without UdeM getting an equivalent one, so expansion/renovation takes longer and costs more.

(I have a secret hunch that McGill would rather, if they could, take only Americans and charge them 50k/year.)

northcountry said:
Cohort: Quebec resident, MDCM

High School Location: South Florida

Previous Education: B.S. Psychology and Biology at the University of North Florida
Northcountry, how were you a Quebec resident? Were you born here?

Okay.

What the hell. I think if you want to talk about McGill or bash it do it in another Tread. This is stricky for admitted students...

I was talking to the admissions...including my supervisor who used to be part of admissions...they take as many Quebecois for one reason...they are forced to by the Government of Quebec. Even the Americans...10 years ago they used to take over 25 per year. Now they only take 12.

And you want to put down McGill. That's great...go for it. But keep it to yourself. Or..first get into med school yourself then start complaining.

I got into a bunch of schools in the states and McGill (only Canadian school I could apply to). I picked McGill for a few reasons....1) I've spent some time now in Montreal and McGill and I love studying here. 2) The education here is first class...even though it migth not be pretty. The buildings and hospitals are as old as time. I doubt it'll ever change...they're basically historic sites. 3) If you do get lucky to get an interview here you can request a list which tells you WHERE the graduates place for residency. Out of all the Americans who went to McGill (or the canadians who wanted to go to the US) they all got top choices and amazing matches (top specialities)....like plastics, intern(cardio), neuro all at Mass Gen., Hopkins, Mayo etc. (I have no idea about Canadian...and I have no idea which hospitals are good or not)

Durring my Umass interview....I talked to the Dean of the med school. He told me that if I got into McGill and every other school I applied to (including Umass) that I should go to McGill. His nephew went to mcgill. He said that all his nephew's classmates got their top choices in the states for residencies. Plus he said since he's also a medical historian...so he had a bias about McGill.

Hoomsy

All these people that McGill bash....they are all just jealous. McGill is clearly the best institution of higher learning in Canada and those in other provinces just can't deal with the fact. Traditionally, McGill has been in the league of Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge....especially for medicine. Other med schools in Canada can't come close, despite the fact that "Mcleans" says so (did I spell that correctly? What is the circulation of that magazine anyway....534?). The thing you need to know about McGill is that it is saturated with names like Osler and Penfield and that the residency match list is amazing. If the facilities are so "rundown," how are they possibly doing heart, heart-lung, liver, pancreas and kidney transplants? Are they growing peas and doing ancient mendelian genetic studies out back in the garden of the genomics center because they "ran out" of money!? I think not. Have you ever heard of the term "gene chip?" McGill is closely allied with MIT for genomics research. Why are so many chairs of medicine, neurology and neurosurgery in the states from McGill? People need to do their homework before blindly writing things.

fourpoints said:
All these people that McGill bash....they are all just jealous. McGill is clearly the best institution of higher learning in Canada and those in other provinces just can't deal with the fact. Traditionally, McGill has been in the league of Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge....especially for medicine. Other med schools in Canada can't come close, despite the fact that "Mcleans" says so (did I spell that correctly? What is the circulation of that magazine anyway....534?). The thing you need to know about McGill is that it is saturated with names like Osler and Penfield and that the residency match list is amazing. If the facilities are so "rundown," how are they possibly doing heart, heart-lung, liver, pancreas and kidney transplants? Are they growing peas and doing ancient mendelian genetic studies out back in the garden of the genomics center because they "ran out" of money!? I think not. Have you ever heard of the term "gene chip?" McGill is closely allied with MIT for genomics research. Why are so many chairs of medicine, neurology and neurosurgery in the states from McGill? People need to do their homework before blindly writing things.

Listen up, first, this is not a McGill bashing thread, if you read back to my earlier post, you will see that I acknowledged McGill as a good school. Secondly, I just wanted to know if McGill is, in fact, as good as everyone says. Plus, I am not "propagating misinformation" or "putting down McGill" or even "jealous". I asked a legitimate question that posed an alternative point of view, and I wanted intelligent responses that accepted it or did not accept it. I didn't want a bunch of die-hard McGill fans to start ranting and raving, just what their opinion of my comments were.

Now, your earlier comment about other Med. schools not coming close to the quality of McGill in medicine is unfounded. Medical education is Canada is pretty consistent (that's why people place whereever they tend to want for residency) and McGill being substantially better is not valid. McGill does have a reputation, and obviously reputations are obtained from past evidence of success, but McGill is placed on a pedestal when it comes to medical education, but should it be there? The fact that their American graduates place in top residency means nothing because American institutions operate completely differently. Education in Canada is probably better than education in the US as a generalization, since McGill is highly reputable and an excellent school, it is not that much of a surprise that they place in top residencies. It also wouldn't be that much of a surprise to see students from any other medical school in Canada (except for the French ones) placing in top residencies in the US.

So, to end this, before you get your pants all tight, reflect on the question being asked and the ideas being posed, and answer accordingly. Duh!

akinf said:
Listen up, first, this is not a McGill bashing thread, if you read back to my earlier post, you will see that I acknowledged McGill as a good school. Secondly, I just wanted to know if McGill is, in fact, as good as everyone says. Plus, I am not "propagating misinformation" or "putting down McGill" or even "jealous". I asked a legitimate question that posed an alternative point of view, and I wanted intelligent responses that accepted it or did not accept it. I didn't want a bunch of die-hard McGill fans to start ranting and raving, just what their opinion of my comments were.

Now, your earlier comment about other Med. schools not coming close to the quality of McGill in medicine is unfounded. Medical education is Canada is pretty consistent (that's why people place whereever they tend to want for residency) and McGill being substantially better is not valid. McGill does have a reputation, and obviously reputations are obtained from past evidence of success, but McGill is placed on a pedestal when it comes to medical education, but should it be there? The fact that their American graduates place in top residency means nothing because American institutions operate completely differently. Education in Canada is probably better than education in the US as a generalization, since McGill is highly reputable and an excellent school, it is not that much of a surprise that they place in top residencies. It also wouldn't be that much of a surprise to see students from any other medical school in Canada (except for the French ones) placing in top residencies in the US.

So, to end this, before you get your pants all tight, reflect on the question being asked and the ideas being posed, and answer accordingly. Duh!

Bravo...so how about we go back to the question I orignally asked...

"It might be nice and useful for people who are starting this August at McGill to know who's going to be their future classmates...and a little background info..."

...and you end this.

trustwomen said:
Northcountry, how were you a Quebec resident? Were you born here?

I was born in Quebec (Levis) but my parents divorced when I was 6. My mom moved to Florida and my dad stayed in Quebec. They shared custody so I was bounced back and forth between the two places, but I've always wanted to move back to Canada. I was offered a full scholarship to stay in the states for undergrad and was forced to stay, but I vowed to come back for medical school.

I know a lot of people on this site express negative attitudes towards students applying as Quebec residents when they haven't lived in Quebec for years, but I never obtained US citizenship, and I spent a lot of my life in Quebec. I can't wait to come back!

I am sorry--I just couldn't resist responding to several of your points below so that you aren't in fact propagating misinformation...as a matter of fact, I happen to agree whole-heartedly that there are no "bad" medical schools in Canada (versus our counterparts to the south) and they are really truly equal--it is rather a question of personal preference for location, curriculum etc etc...

akinf said:

Firstly, this is not a decision by McGill but rather the Quebec government...in fact, McGill accepted 24 international students 2 years ago but was told by the government that had be cut in half and replaced with Quebec residents...secondly, many "quebec residents" at McGill were neither born nor raised in Quebec (ie. myself who worked for 2 years post-bacc and gained Quebec residency that way)

akinf said:

If I am not mistaken, tuition at McGill for out-of-province students is much less than many other schools in province (OOP students at McGill pay about $12, 000 in tuition compared to $14, 000 at Ontario schools for in province--with the exception of UofT which is now close to $20, 000).

akinf said:

McGill is an English-speaking university and as such, the students do in fact speak English *surprise!*...I personally think being in a class where the majority of the students are bilingual is a great opportunity to learn a different language--but perhaps that is just me....

Again, I am not necessarily disagreeing with your point of view but rather clarifying a few of your points...

-prag

Prag said:
McGill is an English-speaking university and as such, the students do in fact speak English *surprise!*...I personally think being in a class where the majority of the students are bilingual is a great opportunity to learn a different language--but perhaps that is just me....

-prag

Alors, mon ami Prag, on se parlera dans la langue de Molière? ;)

Montreal is my favourite city in Canada largely because of the French. I'm keeping my job during BOM and ICM, so that I don't slip into an English-only world and develop a "tête-carrée" accent again...

Sorry for the hijack hoomsy, although I suspect most McGill people are on ezboard... I look forward to meeting everyone this summer!!!

haha...je etude francais pour deux heures chaque semaine...mais je vais etuder francais a Quebec pour l'ete...(in case you can't tell I seriously just started my French class two weeks ago but can't wait until I can actually converse! :)

FYI, the faculty actually organizes medical French classes throughout the year and some people in my class put together a weekly "french lunch" whereby students meet up and chat in french over the special of the day :)

trustwomen said:
Alors, mon ami Prag, on se parlera dans la langue de Molière? ;)

Montreal is my favourite city in Canada largely because of the French. I'm keeping my job during BOM and ICM, so that I don't slip into an English-only world and develop a "tête-carrée" accent again...

Sorry for the hijack hoomsy, although I suspect most McGill people are on ezboard... I look forward to meeting everyone this summer!!!

(Okay, this is really off topic....sorry, hoomsy)
I am soooo jealous of those of you who can speak French fluently besides English :D . I really wished I could do the same. French is my favourite language besides English and my mother tongue. I had taken French for 5 years in high school (which is quite sometime ago), and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, now, a lot of it seems to have disappeared in thin air. :(

Good luck with your French learning, Prag :). Well, hopefully, sometime in the future, I get to do the same.

cheer_up said:
(Okay, this is really off topic....sorry, hoomsy)
I am soooo jealous of those of you who can speak French fluently besides English :D . I really wished I could do the same. French is my favourite language besides English and my mother tongue. I had taken French for 5 years in high school (which is quite sometime ago), and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, now, a lot of it seems to have disappeared in thin air. :(

Good luck with your French learning, Prag :). Well, hopefully, sometime in the future, I get to do the same.

I agree...i WISH i knew french myself. i've lived in montreal since 2001 and i barely know any...

My dad actually went to school at Laval in Quebec City. Before going to do his PhD there he had NO knowledge of french. He got some tapes and taught himself...enough to graduate and then be a prof there for a few years....I was taught ZERO!

Living in downtown and going to McGill doesn't help you learn any french.

I actually took 1 night course at concordia..just enough to barely pass my Immigration Quebec interview...

I heard they offer medical french courses at mcgill for the med students....can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Hoomsy

SDN Name: Gabalt

Cohert: I'm a Medp (don't worry, we are not all that immature, and we (by WE, I mean "I") are aware that we still have a lot of experience to gain... :) )

High School Location: Cegep de Bois-de-Boulogne

Previous Education: NADA :S...

Academic Interests: Gastro-oriented medicine, neurosciences, psychology, philosophy: "Éthique et Politique" was one of my class that maybe change my life...

Non Academic/Medical Interests: Travel, history, computers, paint, art

Languages: English, French and some hebrew

Plan B (If you did not go into medicine): Continue in my education in a connexe degree and try again...