mccqe1 help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrbhatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, I am one of the lucky foreign grads who matched into Canada in the 2nd round of the match, I have a limited amount of time to study for MCCQE1 (taking it on May 12), I have taken step 1 and 2 in the US, do you think I could pass by reviewing my step 2 material or do I need to know all the subspecialty stuff in the Toronto Notes like Cardiothoracic surgery and Neurosurgery.

Members don't see this ad.

nrbhatt said:
Just a quick question, I am one of the lucky foreign grads who matched into Canada in the 2nd round of the match, I have a limited amount of time to study for MCCQE1 (taking it on May 12), I have taken step 1 and 2 in the US, do you think I could pass by reviewing my step 2 material or do I need to know all the subspecialty stuff in the Toronto Notes like Cardiothoracic surgery and Neurosurgery.

Congratulations!! Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but I was hoping you could answer a few of mine.

When did you get your acceptance and when do they expect you to finish your MCCQE1? Will they take away your match if you fail the MCCQE1?

Thanks a lot and once again...congrats!

Congrats, I also do not have an answer to your question but I am interested in knowing where you matched to and from which school you came from. Also what you did to get matched in Canada.

Congrats once again.

Members don't see this ad :)
nrbhatt said:

There are sample Q's available on the MCC website which should give you a good indication of the type of material found on the QE 1. I'm pretty sure the QE1 focuses on management issues similar to Step 3.

A.

Sorry about the delay in replying I went to St Georges and matched to memorial university. The most important thing in my mind is to do visiting elective at the university you wish to go to otherwise you don't stand a chance.
As for if I fail the MCCQE I have no idea if they take my spot away, I really hope they don't otherwise I'll be up a certain creek without a paddle.
No one has told me when I needed to get the MCCQE done by, when I interviewed for the Grand Prairie program they told me I needed to give them proof I was going to be taking it before the residency start date but never said what happened if I failed. I think the best time to take it is right after MCCEE b/c that is when the stuff is freshest in you mind. I also found the answer to my own question on the Kaplan web site, if you go to them for help they give you the step 2 books and tell you it is enough to pass.

Good luck to all of you

In Newfoundland as of the 2003-4 year, you don't need any more exams period to work in the province if you got matched via the CaRMS match.

No MCCQE1, no MCCQE2, nothing. Just the MCCEE that got you there into the CaRMS match already.

Might as well write them all (and the board exam, like the family exam if you are in family) during residency so that you don't forget the stuff, and with exams you are better prepared in case the rules change, or if you want to also be able to work in other places.

Can take your time. Most students from away would write the MCCQE1 in may of their first year of residency, MCCQE2 in their second year of residency, and board exam at the end of residency.

Best wishes,
roo

Thats good to know, do you know if they have posted that information anywhere on the web, I would like to show that to a few of my friends in Ireland who are wondering when to take the MCCQE 1

Thanks again

Hi,
Congratulations!!! I am considering going to St Georges and want to know what the process is wrt to doing internships at Canadian Hospitals, how many rotations you can do in Canada and making the jump from there on graduation to doing a Canadian Residency...
Can we talk?

nrbhatt said:
Sorry about the delay in replying I went to St Georges and matched to memorial university. The most important thing in my mind is to do visiting elective at the university you wish to go to otherwise you don't stand a chance.
As for if I fail the MCCQE I have no idea if they take my spot away, I really hope they don't otherwise I'll be up a certain creek without a paddle.
No one has told me when I needed to get the MCCQE done by, when I interviewed for the Grand Prairie program they told me I needed to give them proof I was going to be taking it before the residency start date but never said what happened if I failed. I think the best time to take it is right after MCCEE b/c that is when the stuff is freshest in you mind. I also found the answer to my own question on the Kaplan web site, if you go to them for help they give you the step 2 books and tell you it is enough to pass.

Good luck to all of you