3rd DO Canadian student, interested in IM, MCCQE1 now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForeverDO

Medcraving
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a 3rd year DO student from Canada and plans to go back after residency. Since a chief resident/fellowship is more common than work under supervision, I'm wondering should I take the MCCQE1 during 4th year or during/after residency. I heard there is so much loop to go through to be certified by Health Canada and I want to save all possible effort as early as I can. Any insight is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I'm a 3rd year DO student from Canada and plans to go back after residency. Since a chief resident/fellowship is more common than work under supervision, I'm wondering should I take the MCCQE1 during 4th year or during/after residency. I heard there is so much loop to go through to be certified by Health Canada and I want to save all possible effort as early as I can. Any insight is appreciated!

If you do not want to have delays or work under supervision (different rules in every province), you need to take the QE1. Personally, I took it close to the end of my intern year in the US and at that point w/ a year of residency experience I found it straightforward with minimal prep needed. Just did Canada Qbank questions, no additional resources. I had a lot of friends who wrote it at the very end of med school, either 1-2 months prior to grad or end of summer before intern year and that is very do-able as well. You'll have enough clinical experience at that point to be able to answer the clinical practice based questions. That's the ideal timing as far as I can see.

Reactions: 1 user