MCCQE 1 Advice, Please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hot4teacha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If any Canadian Med Students or residents who have recently taken this exam (MCCQE, part 1) would be willing to make a few comments as to how he/she prepared or is going to prepare I would be very grateful.

I'm a dual citizen (Canada-US) who was born in Edmonton, Alberta, but have lived in the US for the past 10 years. I'm about to finish from a US med school and match into a US residency, but I wanted to take the Canadian boards (and will be taking MCCQE 1 in Spring 2007 in Edmonton) as they are indicated throughout my training.

So far, I have the latest Toronoto Notes and I was planning on using the www.mcc.ca practice tests and objectives to guide my studies. Did anyone use USMLEworld or Kaplan? I've used both for the USMLE 1 & 2 and found them very helpful. Are there other (clandestine to Americans) old exams or test banks that are credible/useful?

Any advice would be appreciated.:cool:

~Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

If any Canadian Med Students or residents who have recently taken this exam (MCCQE, part 1) would be willing to make a few comments as to how he/she prepared or is going to prepare I would be very grateful.

I'm a dual citizen (Canada-US) who was born in Edmonton, Alberta, but have lived in the US for the past 10 years. I'm about to finish from a US med school and match into a US residency, but I wanted to take the Canadian boards (and will be taking MCCQE 1 in Spring 2007 in Edmonton) as they are indicated throughout my training.

So far, I have the latest Toronoto Notes and I was planning on using the www.mcc.ca practice tests and objectives to guide my studies. Did anyone use USMLEworld or Kaplan? I've used both for the USMLE 1 & 2 and found them very helpful. Are there other (clandestine to Americans) old exams or test banks that are credible/useful?

Any advice would be appreciated.:cool:

~Jeff

MCCQE - I is little different and difficult then USMLE 2. You have to have a sound clinical knowledge to pass and to get the good score in the MCCQE -1.

Thanks.

Thanks Puppo. I was wondering if people who have taken this exam, preparing for this exam or who are "in the know" (eg, Canadian 4th year med students...it is not apparent to me how many of them are actually visiting this site), could list the some of the most high yield resources they intend to use while studying, or did use in the past. Appreciate any comments--even disdainful comments regarding those with an interest in praticing medicine in Canada (the self-proclaimed model for international tolerance; aka the "salad bowl").:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 4th year, so I haven't actually taken MCCQE yet, but I hear it's more like Step 2 (CK) than Step 1. Most people in my class study from a review text published out of UofT, Toronto Notes. It's about 110$ and is ordered once a year (in December?) and organized through our school so I have no idea how to get ahold of a copy if you're not a Canadian student. I would suspect any Step 2 review book would cover similar material if nothing else is specifically made for MCCQE- kaplan/usmleworld/crack the usmle.

Thanks for the reply. I have 2006 TN, bought it through UT, and used it on my 3rd year rotations. Planning on buying 2007 too. Any other ways to study? Practice questions, practice cases, besides all of the illegit stuff on the internet. I'm not interested in kicking the crap out of this exam, I just want to pass...I'm not planning on doing residency in Canada, I'm matching this year in the US match. Just wanted to know how to go about studying for this exam.

Thanks for the reply. I have 2006 TN, bought it through UT, and used it on my 3rd year rotations. Planning on buying 2007 too. Any other ways to study? Practice questions, practice cases, besides all of the illegit stuff on the internet. I'm not interested in kicking the crap out of this exam, I just want to pass...I'm not planning on doing residency in Canada, I'm matching this year in the US match. Just wanted to know how to go about studying for this exam.

If you do not want to work in Canada, why you are wasting your money and time.
If you like to work in Canada, just pass the American Board examination and you can work in anywhere in Canada without passing any Canadian examinations. You will be welcome in Canada.

Thanks.

If you do not want to work in Canada, why you are wasting your money and time.
If you like to work in Canada, just pass the American Board examination and you can work in anywhere in Canada without passing any Canadian examinations. You will be welcome in Canada.
:rolleyes: At this point in time, the CPSO (Ontario) has discussed it and is in practice now, but is not across the board in all the other provinces; if anything, Alberta is only considering the same stance as Ontario, but that is hearsay.

"You will be welcome in Canada" - those are some charged words you are using, I am sure that there are a few thousand IMGs that would differ in that view :mad:

My dad is an Ob/Gyn trained at U of Alberta and one of his med school buddies is one of the medical big-wigs in Alberta's government. My dad talked to him recently, regarding the comment made above concerning Ontario recognizing American boards as equivalent. He said, in response to my dad, "Alberta might be doing that some day, but if your sons want to make it easy on themselves, they should just take the Canadian boards (at the appropriate times) and then if they ever want to move back to Canada, the transition will be easy." Take that for what it's worth...I'll get back to you on his name.

I want to spend the time and money now to get this over with for a few reasons: 1) 4th year in US med schools provides us with a lot of elective time (time to study if I want), 2) I may indeed want to live and work in Canada one day, 3) if I choose to do so when I'm 35-40, the last thing I want to do is take time from my (hopefully) busy practice to try and remember stupid crap from med school and take a bunch of tests I could have taken along the way; basically because it's not that big of a deal for me right now to do it as I go along (plus the Canadian exam is cheap compared to $450 for USMLE 1, $1000 for USMLE 2 CS and $450 for USMLE 2 CK).

So, Puppo, where did you get that case question? Was it from one of those question banks sold on various sites and ebay? If so, are any of those worth looking into? I prefer studying from questions, reading Toronto Notes a few times is going to be an f-ing task!

Thanks for your replies, Jeff

My dad is an Ob/Gyn trained at U of Alberta and one of his med school buddies is one of the medical big-wigs in Alberta's government. My dad talked to him recently, regarding the comment made above concerning Ontario recognizing American boards as equivalent. He said, in response to my dad, "Alberta might be doing that some day, but if your sons want to make it easy on themselves, they should just take the Canadian boards (at the appropriate times) and then if they ever want to move back to Canada, the transition will be easy." Take that for what it's worth...I'll get back to you on his name.

I want to spend the time and money now to get this over with for a few reasons: 1) 4th year in US med schools provides us with a lot of elective time (time to study if I want), 2) I may indeed want to live and work in Canada one day, 3) if I choose to do so when I'm 35-40, the last thing I want to do is take time from my (hopefully) busy practice to try and remember stupid crap from med school and take a bunch of tests I could have taken along the way; basically because it's not that big of a deal for me right now to do it as I go along (plus the Canadian exam is cheap compared to $450 for USMLE 1, $1000 for USMLE 2 CS and $450 for USMLE 2 CK).

So, Puppo, where did you get that case question? Was it from one of those question banks sold on various sites and ebay? If so, are any of those worth looking into? I prefer studying from questions, reading Toronto Notes a few times is going to be an f-ing task!

Thanks for your replies, Jeff

Hi Hot4teacha,
Do not ever say that Canadian examination is cheap.
Yes Canadian examination is more expensive than USMLE.
MCCEE You have to pay almost 1300.00 dollars
MCCQE 1. You have to pay almost 700.00 dollars.
MCCQE 2. you have to pay almost 1500.00 dollars.

You have to have sound clinical knowledge to pass Canadian examination.
May be you are rich guy, so you can afford it. I have to think twice to appear in examination. You do not know how much IMG struggle to survive.
I know some IMG, who passed both MCCQE 1 and MCCQE 2, are driving taxi cabs just to survive and to wait to enter in the medical system.
These IMG love to live in this beautiful country just like me, you have give them applause.
Regarding the question you are talking about, I got this question at MCC web site.I found this is a difficult question, I could not solve it so I post in the forum, may be anybody will help me with reasons.
Thanks.

Puppo and all other readers,

I didn't mean to sound like a rich kid who can practice where ever I want to. I respect all of the different people represented on these pages. Not everyone has the same story coming into medical training and certainly people do many different things once they are licensed physicians. The great thing about a medical degree though, is that it truely is a passport to work where you'd like to.

This and other "international" forums exist because people want to do just that, to gain medical training, wherever it is possible for them to do so and then use their medical knowledge and skills to practice (hopefully) where they'd like to. I commend anyone who is struggling through this process, because it is not an easy one. When I was saying the Canadian exam was cheap I meant relatively, compared to the amount I had had to pay for my US exams up to this point; with the US-Canada conersion it is about 1900 USD (USMLEs) to 600 USD (MCCQE1). This is not cheap, but cheaper than what I had to pay for my USMLEs up to this point.

I wish everyone a happy holiday season and I appreciate your comments. Puppo, thanks for the info regarding the cases. I'll give my input and ask questions too over the next few months. Are you studying for part 1 right now? Have you applied? I have my application sent in for Spring 2007 MCCQE 1.

Later, Jeff:cool:

Puppo and all other readers,

I didn't mean to sound like a rich kid who can practice where ever I want to. I respect all of the different people represented on these pages. Not everyone has the same story coming into medical training and certainly people do many different things once they are licensed physicians. The great thing about a medical degree though, is that it truely is a passport to work where you'd like to.

This and other "international" forums exist because people want to do just that, to gain medical training, wherever it is possible for them to do so and then use their medical knowledge and skills to practice (hopefully) where they'd like to. I commend anyone who is struggling through this process, because it is not an easy one. When I was saying the Canadian exam was cheap I meant relatively, compared to the amount I had had to pay for my US exams up to this point; with the US-Canada conersion it is about 1900 USD (USMLEs) to 600 USD (MCCQE1). This is not cheap, but cheaper than what I had to pay for my USMLEs up to this point.

I wish everyone a happy holiday season and I appreciate your comments. Puppo, thanks for the info regarding the cases. I'll give my input and ask questions too over the next few months. Are you studying for part 1 right now? Have you applied? I have my application sent in for Spring 2007 MCCQE 1.

Later, Jeff:cool:

Yes, I have applied and I am appearing in MCCQE 1 in April 2007 inshallah.
By the way I am also ECFMG certified. I found residency program at St. Louis MO two years ago but I could not make it because of my family reasons.
I do not know may be this is a biggest mistake of my life. Allah knows.

Thank you for everything hot4teacha .

I wish happy holidays to you and you family.

Thank you again.

As a US medical student applying for residency in Canada? Do I have to tkae MCCQE? Or is USMLE's enough?

As a US medical student applying for residency in Canada? Do I have to tkae MCCQE? Or is USMLE's enough?

You don't need it for working in Ontario but you should take them for other provinces. however I am planning to write all of them

Great news.

I was always under the impression that a US-board certified doctor will have to start from ground zero (MCCEE) for him to work in Ontario...

By "work" do u mean private practice only? Or can I work at a Canadian Hospital/Attending/University Staff with the US Board certification?

Hi puppo I am a studente at the last year of medicine in italy.Can I ask you if you know that if I get through the canadian national board examineer i can work in the usa? thank you for your time

i failed again mccqe 1. and yes this was 4th times. :mad:

everybody has every right to laugh at me!!!!!!!!!!!!

but anybody still think , i should continue trying?????

anybody knows anybody that he passed after 4th or 5th attempt??