MCCEE easier or harder than Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monsoon338

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted to see what people thought of the MCCEE in relations to the Step 2. Is it easier? Harder? Or the same?

Also, is the MCCEE a mix of Step 1 and Step 2 or more just like Step 2? Should I go back and heavily review Basic Sciences or is it more Clinical?

Finally, does the MCCEE get sequentially harder the more questions you answer right and easier the more you answer wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to see what people thought of the MCCEE in relations to the Step 2. Is it easier? Harder? Or the same?

Also, is the MCCEE a mix of Step 1 and Step 2 or more just like Step 2? Should I go back and heavily review Basic Sciences or is it more Clinical?

Finally, does the MCCEE get sequentially harder the more questions you answer right and easier the more you answer wrong?

In my opinion, it is a bit different from step 2 CK.

The questions are not as long in MCCEE, but the topic it covers is occasionally very random/odd. The "high yield" topics in step 2 CK may not be as applicable to MCCEE. If you studied step 2, you should also know there are some differences in terms of time/period required for diagnosis. For example, in Canada, enuresis is diagnosed at age 6, versus age 5 in the US.

I took my MCCEE a month after step 2 CK, after doing some the qbank the above poster suggested, and got a 411. In my opinion, studying for step 2 CK should be about 80% of the preparation for MCCEE.

Also: see canada qbank for prep.

Chris 3000 is correct EE is different from Step 2. I agree with everything he wrote.

The question stems on EE are very vague, rarely tell u the diagnosis and often ask more complex management questions than Step 2. You may be asked about dosages of medications, picking in between appropriate imaging studies ( ie the best study to screen for a condition vs the best test to confirm the diagnosis). EE assesses how throughly you understand a topic and your ability to differentiate between conditions that present in a similar manner.

Even if u aced Step 1 and 2 do not take EE lightly.

Good luck to you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user