**Official MCCEE May, 2015 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zully

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm taking my test in a couple of months and figured I'd start a thread just to see what other test takers are up to... It's very frustrating how there isn't much info on the internet. Most EE threads are about finding a "study partner" etc and most are outdated anyways. It'd be nice to have an "official" hangout place where people can share their experience with the test, resources they've used or even look for study partners. Just keep it MCCEE related please.

I'll be first to comment I guess. I plan to take the test on May, 23rd. I purchased the CanadaQbank and I plan to finish it once + incorrects before the test. I'm also going to be reading TN (HY topics only). I have CK scheduled right after so I'm technically studying for both tests at the same time as such will be utilizing american qbanks such as uworld and +/-Kaplan. What are you guys doing? Also, it'd be nice to hear from those that have already taken the test :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hey cool thread super frustrating how there's very little info from students that have challenged the test :/ I took the darn thing two days ago and was actually looking for a place to write my "experience"

Reactions: 1 user
Please share your experience. What did you use to study? What were your stats like? Qbank score, SAE? Anything you share will be very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
4th year Caribbean student, passed step 1 (first attempt, 242), haven't taken CK or CS.
Total Prep time: 7 wks
Material: MTB, IM Kaplan LN, FA for CK (Peds and OBGYN), TN (see below), CanadaQbank
I read the entire MTB book front to back in 2 wks and started doing Canadaqbank and annotated MTB anytime I came across a question I did not know or a guideline/recommendation that was specific to Canada. I would say you can easily do 100 questions per day while annotating or going over topics you are not comfortable with. I did about 8h everyday 6days/wk. Most of my days looked like this:
Start studying at 10am (Couldn't wake up earlier), do 1 block of questions tutor, mixed. Took about 2 hrs, then I would take 2 hours to go over material from MTB--> lunch break--> pick up again at 3pm, another block of questions for 2 hrs (doing the questions and going over the answers/annotating)--> another 2 hours of reading/memorizing. Gym/dinner/go to sleep. Wake up and repeat. I did that for about a month and a half.
My Qbank average was 74% (Tutor, mixed). I finished the qbank 1.5 wk out. I then used the last week to go over stuff in TN (Immunization, family medicine, ethics, epi biostats) and I did a SAE and scored an 87% . I wasn't too happy with that score because I had heard of people scoring in the 90s in those SAEs and barely making 300 on the real deal. It terrified me but I still took the test as I was not going to wait for another year.

The real deal:
Let me just say that the test is very psych/peds/obgyn heavy! It is NOTevenly distributed among the different specialties tested. The reason why I emphasize this is because this was a common myth among students from my class. The test is 180 questions, 30 of which do not count. You have 4hrs to complete the test! You can take a break, but the clock will be running so keep that in mind. I did one block (which I think was my worst, had lots of vague questions and biostats) so I needed a break and then I came back and powered through 2 more blocks and took a quick redbull break and then came back for the final block. I used up my 4 hours. Tried not to change answers but with this test (unlike Step1/CK), you'll have plenty of time so you might be tempted to go back and change your answers. Please don't do that. Only go back to the questions you flagged.
Here's the breakdown:

Psych: Best resource in my opinion: FA for CK. I talked to a friend who also took the test around the same time and he seemed to recommend TN for psych specifically. I didn't do TN so I can't comment on that but the FA section for psych was more than enough along with Canada Qbank of course (Make sure you know what drugs are C/I in the geriatric population!)

Surgery: A buncha WTF questions! CanadaQbank is probably the best source for this but I also did some Kaplan, not sure if it helped at all. Questions were very specific and required some clinical experience in my opinion but luckily I only had a few surgery questions.

Medicine: Most of my questions were either on diabetes (know ur insulin therapy), hypertension, dyslipidemia, endocrine like PCOS, metabolic syndrome, thyroid, primary parathyrodism etc. no WTF's but I was always stuck between two answers. I'd say MTB did an okay job but there are many way to prepare for IM, questions are by far the best way (not necessarily CanadaQbank but thats the qbank I used)

Peds/OBGYN: Lots of vague questions, again I was able to narrow it down to 2 answers...Canadaqbank and FA forCK/MTB. Oh and read the pearls on the side in the TN sections for Peds/OBGYN

Ethics/Biostats/Epi/Population health: Fair amount of questions. Best source is Toronto Notes.

Do's:
1) Do a quick read of whatever review book you like before you start doing questions
2) Do as many questions as you can (I used Canadaqbank but I realize its not the best out there in terms of their question-asking style however, I do like the fact that they really point you in the right direction when it comes to what topics are considered HY for EE. I recommend getting a little notebook and noting down the topics that tend to reoccur in the qbank because those are the topics you will be tested on the most. I used the note book to guide my studying in the last 1 wk leading up to the test because lets face it, you won't have time to go over everything, so use that time wisely)

Don'ts:
I don't personally think the SAE was worth doing. It was straightforward compared to the exam. It did highlight my weaknesses and my strengths but it did not necessarily prepare me for the vagueness of the test. It may be worth doing before you start studying but not once you've covered more than 50% of the material.

Hope this helps, keep in mind that I have not received my score yet.
Good luck to all

Reactions: 6 users
@BP87 thank you so much! Would you say uworld was helpful at all?
All the best

I heard that you only need 1 week after taking the Actual Step 2 CK Exam, to prepare for the MCCEE Exam, What is the Single most important source during this week?
Will the Ck Bundle [UW, MTB2&3] Suffice?
If I had to Add either Canada Q bank OR Toronto Notes What Should I add?
How Long should it take to go over these After completing the Step 2 CK prep?

Thanks

Hello everybody,

thank you for opening this threat, Zully!
I am a medical doctor from Germany and I intend to take the MCCEE in May 2015.

Is there anybody else taking the exam here in Germany?

Is anyone still around to write about their experiences? UK doc here. Planning on taking the MCCEE in March 2016.

Hello everybody, I plan on taking the EE on March 2016. Thanks so much for all the recommendations. Glad to see a new thread, I could only find old ones.

I have an unactivated subscription to Canada Qbank for the MCCEE. It is for 12 months. The cost was 345$. I am looking to sell it for 250$. Unfortunately I cannot change the login but you can create your own password and activate it when you are ready. Please email if interested [email protected]
Thanks!

Hi all. Thanks for all the helpful tips. Anyone else still around to update this thread with their experiences? Much appreciated!

Hi! finally an updated post. I am planning to give MCCEE in in Sept-Oct 2017. I am using MTB, Kaplan step 2CK books and TN. and getting the canada qbank. Do i make TN my primary book for MCCEE? its a really big book and i am confused if all is relevant or not.
Secondly, do i also try to learn numeric values of LDL, dosages and prevalence percentages? does it come in the exam?
will be grateful for a reply