MCAT MCAT Tip: How to Spend Your MCAT Study Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT Self Prep

Vendor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I know what to study during my MCAT study sessions? Because the MCAT covers such a vast amount of material, it can be hard to know where to start. For this reason, before you get too far along in the study process, it can be helpful to take a practice exam. This will allow you to find out what your strengths and weaknesses are. After taking the exam, look over every single questions and look for patterns in your mistakes. Was there a certain type of question that you struggled with? Was there a certain section of the exam that caused you trouble? Once you understand your strengths and weaknesses, you will be able to craft your study time around building upon your strengths and overcoming your weaknesses.

What should I do to overcome a weakness? When you identify a weakness, you will need to make a plan to slowly overcome it over time. Let’s say your weakness is in understanding research design. In order to conquer this weakness, you will need an appropriate balance of content review and practice problems. Start with reviewing the needed content, and then do practice problems that will help you apply this content. Measure your progress by measuring your performance on research-design-related practice problems over time. If you see your scores steadily improve, you are on the right track.

What if I am still having a hard time identifying my weaknesses? Sometimes it is hard to know what your exact strengths and weaknesses are. It can also be hard to know if a certain weakness is something you need to make a major focus or not. Or if it is something that will just take care of itself over time. For this reason, it is helpful to enlist the help of someone who has already conquered the exam. Our 99th percentile tutors have an enhanced perspective, allowing them to know what you need to do next in order to start seeing improvements. Don’t wait to start improving and schedule your first free tutoring session today!

Members don't see this ad.