MCAT MCAT Tip: Time Needed to Study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT Self Prep

Vendor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much time do I need to study for the MCAT? Based on our analysis of top MCAT scorers, there is no set amount of time that will guarantee you a high MCAT score. Some high scorers only studied a couple hundred hours or less while others needed to study almost one thousand hours. You won’t be able to know from day one exactly how much time you will personally need. By carefully tracking your progress using MCAT practice problems, you will get an idea of whether or not you are ready to take the test.

How much time should I set aside then? Although it is impossible to know exactly how much time you will need to set aside for your MCAT studying, it is still a good idea to have a rough estimate. A good rule of thumb is to study between 200 and 1000 hours. If you have a high GPA and/or a low MCAT goal, you should set aside an amount of time closer to 200 hours. If you have a low GPA and/or a high MCAT goal, on the other hand, you should set aside an amount of time closer to 1000 hours.

How should I spend my study time? Making your MCAT study plan is the most important step in your MCAT preparation. The first phase of the Free eCourse will walk you through making your MCAT study plan in a logical, step-by-step manner. And for those of you who need an added amount of customization, feel free to utilize our create-your-own study plan app.

Members don't see this ad.