MCAT Timeline Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xstu-97

Reaction score
I'm a transfer student at my university, and my classes have been a little messed up. I'm in my junior year and currently taking Organic I, Physics I, Genetics. Spring semester I've got Organic II, Physics II, and Biochem. As for the MCAT, I'm thinking about two options:

1. Finish this semester and start studying over Christmas break. Next semester take Organic II and Physics II; cut out biochem to allow more time to study. Take the MCAT in May to submit an application this cycle.
*Not sure if cutting out biochem would be a good idea or not. However, I don't know if I would have enough time to study with the biochem in my schedule.

2. Finish this semester and next semester as planned (with the biochem). Study over the summer and test in late summer before fall semester starts. Then, apply next year for that cycle. I could also retake if I needed to.

Are either of these decent plans, or should I keep thinking?
Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with option 2. Biochem is probably the most important section on the MCAT, and probably the hardest to self-study for. I also don't know what your situation is like, but many transfer students consider their new schools more difficult after transferring, so I wouldn't plan on taking the MCAT in the May because your classes will have you busy enough. I would even consider pushing genetics off until your first semester senior year, because biochem is generally more important for both your MCAT and your medical school application, and taking 4 hard sciences might be overwhelming.

I'm a bit confused about your plan to apply- would you be applying during your senior year, or would you be taking a gap year? I only ask because if you're planning to apply during your senior year, your application will likely be considered late, which is never good. If you're planning to take a gap year, then taking it in the late summer after your junior year sounds like a great plan.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, for option 2 I would be taking a gap year. I'm also already at my "new" school (I transferred here last semester). Sorry for the confusion

I've also been thinking of an option 3: Studying through the rest of this semester and next semester, then testing in late May 2020. I've got Physics I, Orgo I, and Genetics this semester. Next semester I have Physics II, Orgo II, and Biochem. So not exactly the lighter loads I would like, but I figure if I spread it out enough, it may be doable.

Yes, for option 2 I would be taking a gap year. I'm also already at my "new" school (I transferred here last semester). Sorry for the confusion

I've also been thinking of an option 3: Studying through the rest of this semester and next semester, then testing in late May 2020. I've got Physics I, Orgo I, and Genetics this semester. Next semester I have Physics II, Orgo II, and Biochem. So not exactly the lighter loads I would like, but I figure if I spread it out enough, it may be doable.

I'm assuming with option 3, you wouldn't be taking a gap year and applying this cycle? If so, then your plan is definitely doable, but it's going to be extremely difficult. It's easy to say you're going to be able to balance those 3 classes along with studying for the MCAT, but MCAT burnout is a very real thing that many students in similar situations feel. With that being said, if you believe that you'll be able to effectively study for the MCAT while maintaining your GPA, then go for it!

Reactions: 1 user