MCAT study timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forumdata

Reaction score
This post is for someone else. They are in final year (Neuroscience major). Is it possible to take MCAT in May with no previous preparation but completed all the pre med courses. Can you please guide as to how to study to achieve this goal. Also is it possible to take the test in June and still apply for medical schools. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Granted it has been about 10 years since I took the MCAT, and the MCAT that I took was nothing compared to the monster 2015+ MCAT was, but from my experience, I would not go in with just pre-med course work material. The MCAT is not just pre-med content, it is a standardized test. You need to go in with plenty of MCAT practice test experience. Granted, the resources that I used back in the day are likely not applicable anymore, except for the AAMC test prep material straight from their website. You need to have a lot of practice test experience. And you need to be under-estimating. I took the MCAT twice, the first time, I hadn't finished my pre-reqs and relied far too much on one course prep material, and over-estimated based on my practice score. It did not go well. By the way I was a psychology with neuroscience major was well, it was so much fun.

Also, I wouldn't give myself an accelerated timeline when it comes to taking the MCAT and applying. Don't rush yourself for taking the MCAT and applying, because I would think it would be better to wait and apply at the beginning of the next cycle with not being rushed and one test attempt than would be if you tried to rush in the previous cycle and maybe not doing well, and applying late anyway because then you will have to retake the MCAT anyway.

I'm kinda in the same boat but I have to take it in March. The preparation will come down to the target score. I don't need a high target score but if you are trying for 510+ then you would need very extensive preparation and I'd recommend not having any other obligations in that period.

You need preparation though and most people will say to do practice questions and real exams.

Check out the AAMC materials and also MCAT UWorld.