MCAT material vs. OAT material

DryEye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a lot of MCAT books as my husband has written the MCAT and now is going to medical school. I wanted to know if anyone out there has used MCAT books to study for the OAT and what their thoughts were. Do you think it should be fine to use them or do you think materials such as the OAT destroyer and the Kaplan book is something I should be focusing more on?

Thanx:)

Members don't see this ad.

I used the Kaplan MCAT book to study for my OAT. I think its difficult to understand a lot of the material(ochem, gchem, physics) in general unless you have taken classes on them. It seems like your husband understands alot, get him to teach you and help you out! Nevertheless, MCAT books or any books offering general overviews and practice problems in those sections help alot. I have not used the OAT destroyer but OAT achiever was helpful for practice tests because it had harder questions and simulated the real test format.

OAT and DAT are different from MCAT. Try to look for OAT stuff at ebay or amazon.com or ask a friend if you can borrow theirs. When I was studying for the DAT, I bought most of my DAT stuff from ebay. I only spent about $350, and I got everything that is out there.

since the number of pre-opt students are relatively few, kaplan and all other examprep companies don't really care about us : (
anyway i used the kaplan MCAT review and it was a GREAT review book, so you should definitely use that. i also used examcrackers (made for MCAT), which was very helpful. i used the MCAT study materials since the subjects covered by the MCAT is most similar to that of the OAT (physics). you might also want to get the achiever just to get used to taking a test on the computer. g'luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know where to purchase OAT achiever and/or OAT Destroyer? Nothing shows up on Ebay...

Thanx!

I used the Princeton Review Physics MCAT book and it was great. I have never taken a physics class before; I just used the book. On the test, physics was my stongest suit from the scoring. I bought a Kaplan OAT book, and didn't really use it. I got it from a campus bookstore, but I think they had some copies at Barnes and Noble.

Do you guys know where to purchase OAT achiever and/or OAT Destroyer? Nothing shows up on Ebay...

Thanx!

You've got to buy those online through the company... no one sells those on eBay, really. Google Achiever/Destroyer..