Mcat: halogenation and E1/E2 were removed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mooong

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if halogenation, E1/E2, halohydrin, epoxidation reactions were removed. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if halogenation, E1/E2, halohydrin, epoxidation reactions were removed. Thank you!
Literally all you need to know for Orgo is nomenclature, chirality, electronegativity/electron affinity, and sterics/electronics. Specific reagents, conditions, all that nonsense is so low yield that it isn't even worthwhile to study it.

You should definitely know different reducing agents as well as their relative strengths

Members don't see this ad :)
You should definitely know different reducing agents as well as their relative strengths
Concepts are key for MCAT. Don't rote-memorize a bunch of different reducing agents. Just know what a reducing agent 'looks like' in terms of what to expect, and then you should be able to deduce strength from the passage/charge/functional groups etc.

I used kaplan to study and I thought it prepared me pretty well. Be comfortable with carbonyl chemistry and know what makes something a good nucleophile/electrophile. I remember I had a question on mine where you had to pick which group was the best leaving group based on knowledge of which molecule can best hold the negative charge.

Reactions: 1 user
People were complaining about having too much o chem and physics on the old mcat. So a bunch of those topics were removed and they added behavioural science.