MCAT + GPA for ROSS, AMERICAN, SABA, ST. GEORGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CantStopWntStop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just want to get a rough estimate about what the avg gpa and MCAT scores are for students that get accepted into Ross, American, SABA, and St. George's. I need to see if my scores are competitive enough.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you have?

McGillGrad said:
What do you have?

GPA 2.85
MCAT: 22
ExtraCir: Couple hundred hours worth of volunteering at different hospitals, in the ER, worked in Operation room, worked in a Research lab, shadowed a doctor, Tutored, president of a few clubs at good academic institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
The GPA is a hair lower than the average at St. George and Ross, but the MCAT isn't, I believe. At least, for Ross. Apply, you'll get in somewhere.

rgerwin said:
The GPA is a hair lower than the average at St. George and Ross, but the MCAT isn't, I believe. At least, for Ross. Apply, you'll get in somewhere.

I agree. Apply to all four and you will get into at least a couple of them and if it is the January semester, then maybe more.

Keep in mind that the schools say they prefer a 3.0+ and a 26+ but ECs and personality will get you further.

CantStopWntStop said:
Hey everyone! I just want to get a rough estimate about what the avg gpa and MCAT scores are for students that get accepted into Ross, American, SABA, and St. George's. I need to see if my scores are competitive enough.

Ross University (Dominica)- MCAT: 19, GPA: 3.23, accepts 2% of students from their island, application fee: $75
American University of the Caribbean (St. Marten)- MCAT: 21, GPA: 3.1, accepts 10% of students from their island, application fee: $75
St. George's University (Grenada)- MCAT: 26, GPA: 3.3, accepts 30% of students from their island, application fee: $75

studentdoctor2 said:
Ross University (Dominica)- MCAT: 19, GPA: 3.23, accepts 2% of students from their island, application fee: $75
American University of the Caribbean (St. Marten)- MCAT: 21, GPA: 3.1, accepts 10% of students from their island, application fee: $75
St. George's University (Grenada)- MCAT: 26, GPA: 3.3, accepts 30% of students from their island, application fee: $75

Where are you getting this info? I would love to see the sources. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

pmtdenna said:
Where are you getting this info? I would love to see the sources. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

i emailed the schools and asked them

studentdoctor2 said:
i emailed the schools and asked them

I have submitted my application for Saba and I'm waiting for an interview. GPA 3.2 MCAT 28
I was shot down at all the DO schools I applied to. Any words of wisdom to a non-traditional student?

pmtdenna said:
I have submitted my application for Saba and I'm waiting for an interview. GPA 3.2 MCAT 28
I was shot down at all the DO schools I applied to. Any words of wisdom to a non-traditional student?

One thing to keep in mind is that even with the four best schools, they are for-profit schools that need you, just as you need them so you have more latitude to sell yourself as the type of person they want. Make sure you show them that you are intelligent, motivated, passionate and have the means to pay for your education.

McGillGrad said:
One thing to keep in mind is that even with the four best schools, they are for-profit schools that need you, just as you need them so you have more latitude to sell yourself as the type of person they want. Make sure you show them that you are intelligent, motivated, passionate and have the means to pay for your education.

What do you mean when you say "have the means to pay for your education"? I have about $10k set aside for med school, but was planning on student loans to pay for it. :eek:

pmtdenna said:
What do you mean when you say "have the means to pay for your education"? I have about $10k set aside for med school, but was planning on student loans to pay for it. :eek:

Well, there are some who can pay all of it cash, some who have loans for most and have cash for 10-20% and then there are the students that Ross is wary of, and those are the students that take the whole education out on loans. The last category is high risk and may not be able to continue if they fail a class or two due to financial reasons.

If you have access to the full amount in loans plus the 10k for emergencies then you should be fine. The issue is that some people cannot fully secure or back-up the finances and that makes it risky for Ross.

McGillGrad said:
Well, there are some who can pay all of it cash, some who have loans for most and have cash for 10-20% and then there are the students that Ross is wary of, and those are the students that take the whole education out on loans. The last category is high risk and may not be able to continue if they fail a class or two due to financial reasons.

If you have access to the full amount in loans plus the 10k for emergencies then you should be fine. The issue is that some people cannot fully secure or back-up the finances and that makes it risky for Ross.

Well, I'm not applying to Ross. Only Saba. I'm kind of wary of Ross right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
pmtdenna said:
Well, I'm not applying to Ross. Only Saba. I'm kind of wary of Ross right now.

Why wary of Ross?

Also, Saba is the only one of the 4 that does nto have access to federal loans (if you are American).

McGillGrad said:
Why wary of Ross?

Also, Saba is the only one of the 4 that does nto have access to federal loans (if you are American).

I have two friends that attended Ross. One had a nightmare experience with his clinical rotations in Texas. He is from Texas, wanted to practice in Texas, but did a rotation at a DO facility. Now he can't because of this. Before he even went there, he asked to go to an allopathic teaching hospital.

The other friend said that from the time he started at Ross, it was made very clear that his wallet was all that they were interested in.

I know this is purely anecdotal evidence, but I respect both of them and their opinions.

It is quite difficult to discount personal experience coming from your friends. With that being said, I have heard plenty of good things about Saba, so it is a great choice, too.

Do you have access to private loans (i.e. do you have good credit or do you have a co-signer?)

pmtdenna said:
I have two friends that attended Ross. One had a nightmare experience with his clinical rotations in Texas. He is from Texas, wanted to practice in Texas, but did a rotation at a DO facility. Now he can't because of this. Before he even went there, he asked to go to an allopathic teaching hospital.

The other friend said that from the time he started at Ross, it was made very clear that his wallet was all that they were interested in.

I know this is purely anecdotal evidence, but I respect both of them and their opinions.

McGillGrad said:
It is quite difficult to discount personal experience coming from your friends. With that being said, I have heard plenty of good things about Saba, so it is a great choice, too.

Do you have access to private loans (i.e. do you have good credit or do you have a co-signer?)

I am a bit older, so I own (well, make mortgage payments on) my own home. I live in CA and have about $200k equity in my house. I'm pretty sure getting loans won't be a problem. I will probably just take a 2nd out on my home if I can't get a decent loan.

Excellent. Then it sounds like Saba is a great fit because it tends to admit slightly older and more experienced students.

pmtdenna said:
I am a bit older, so I own (well, make mortgage payments on) my own home. I live in CA and have about $200k equity in my house. I'm pretty sure getting loans won't be a problem. I will probably just take a 2nd out on my home if I can't get a decent loan.

pmtdenna said:

why does doing a DO rotation not allow you to practice in Texas?

studentdoctor2 said:

I am wondering about that myself. Texas accepts both DO and MD rotations. In addition, Ross is the ONLY Carib. school that is OFFICIALLY approved in Texas (Even SGU is not on their list). Please look at the following link:

http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/professionals/physicians/applicants/STDNHPSE.rtf

Texas might give you problems if:

-You did a rotation that is not MD or DO approved.
-You took unautherized breaks between rotations.
-You did a rotation in the state of Texas while in a foreign medical school (unless, you officially enroll as a guest student at a Texas Medical school).

Now other states, like California, Pennsylvania......will not license you if you did rotations at a DO hospital.

Good Luck.

Leukocyte said:
I am wondering about that myself. Texas accepts both DO and MD rotations.

-You did a rotation in the state of Texas while in a foreign medical school (unless, you officially enroll as a guest student at a Texas Medical school).

I was going to mention the same thing. That was most likely the issue, not the DO rotation.

Leukocyte said:
I am wondering about that myself. Texas accepts both DO and MD rotations. In addition, Ross is the ONLY Carib. school that is OFFICIALLY approved in Texas (Even SGU is not on their list). Please look at the following link:

http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/professionals/physicians/applicants/STDNHPSE.rtf

-You did a rotation that is not MD or DO approved.
-You took unautherized breaks between rotations.

Now other states, like California, Pennsylvania......will not license you if you did rotations at a DO hospital.

Good Luck.

how do you tell if a rotation is md/do approved?

studentdoctor2 said:
how do you tell if a rotation is md/do approved?

If you do a rotation at a hospital that has an ACGME residency program in the subject you are rotating in....then it is "green book", or MD approved.

If you do a rotation at a hospital that has an AOA residency program in the subject you are rotating in ...then it is DO approved.

Always make sure that every rotation you do is "MD APPROVED". Try to avoid doing DO rotations (as much as possible), unless you know for sure that you want to practice in a state that does not mind DO rotations, like NY, TX, CT....

Leukocyte said:
If you do a rotation at a hospital that has an ACGME residency program in the subject you are rotating in....then it is "green book", or MD approved.

If you do a rotation at a hospital that has an AOA residency program in the subject you are rotating in ...then it is DO approved.

Always make sure that every rotation you do is "MD APPROVED". Try to avoid doing DO rotations (as much as possible), unless you know for sure that you want to practice in a state that does not mind DO rotations, like NY, TX, CT....

could you tell me if i am looking at the right thing to tell if a place is ACGME accredited? http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/
Also, at ross, do you do all your rotations at one place or a different place for each rotation?

studentdoctor2 said:
could you tell me if i am looking at the right thing to tell if a place is ACGME accredited? http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

Yes, but it much eazier to use FREIDA (AMA) in this case because we are looking at specific hospitals.

So, for example, lets say you want to do a rotation at Brookdale Hospital in New York.

-First go to FREIDA http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/

-Then click on "Institution Search" on the left of the screen. This will take you to that page http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/instsrch/1,1239,,00.html

-Then click on New York, and click continue. This will take you to this page http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/instrslt/1,1239,,00.html

-Then find Brookdale Hospital, and click on it. This should take you to this page http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/inst/0,1238,350307,00.html

-Now look at the list of SPONSERED ans AFFILIATED programs at Brookdale Hospital. You can do a rotation in any of these specialties. So at Brookdale you can do rotations in:

Anesthesiology
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Hematology and Oncology
Nephrology
Obstetrics and Gynecology
Pediatrics
Psychiatry
Surgery-General
Urology
Internal Medicine
Cardiovascular Disease
Dermatology
Gastroenterology
Orthopaedic Surgery

Anything else at Brookdale would not be "green book" or MD approved.

Also, at ross, do you do all your rotations at one place or a different place for each rotation?

It depends on your shedule, but you do rotations at different hospitals most of the time...Better this way since no one hospital has ACGME residencies in all of your rotations.

studentdoctor2 said:

I asked my friend for further clarification. He said that the list Ross was going off of for approved DO hospitals was innacurate and despite his objections, he was told he had to rotate there. During the first week of rotation there his worst fears were confirmed. No amount of pleading helped the situation.

I'm sure there is a lot more to the story, but the take home point for me is that I should pay very close attention to placement during clinicals. This goes for any carib school.

hey guys, i have a friend who like myself is a pre-med which is of course the reason i'm on this forum. we both graduated at the same time with a BS degree in biology. i'll be attending a masters in biomed science this fall in hopes of eventually getting into med school since my gpa was nowhere near stellar and my first time mcat scores were horrendous (still awaiting the april '06 scores). my friend took the mcat in aug of '05 and scored just slightly better than i did and like myslef, is awaiting the april '06 results. he is interested in going to st. matthews but i don't think he'll be able to get in. his mcat was in the low low 20's and his overall gpa was below a 3.0 (his bcpm was about 2.5). he really thinks that he'll be accepted into a caribbean school but i really dont think his chances are anywhere near being accepted. unfortunately i dont have the heart to tell him otherwise and crush his hopes and dreams. what do you guys think about my boy's situation. you think he can get into any caribbean school (i.e. st. george, ross, st. matthew, or saba)?

future doc??? said:
hey guys, i have a friend who like myself is a pre-med which is of course the reason i'm on this forum. we both graduated at the same time with a BS degree in biology. i'll be attending a masters in biomed science this fall in hopes of eventually getting into med school since my gpa was nowhere near stellar and my first time mcat scores were horrendous (still awaiting the april '06 scores). my friend took the mcat in aug of '05 and scored just slightly better than i did and like myslef, is awaiting the april '06 results. he is interested in going to st. matthews but i don't think he'll be able to get in. his mcat was in the low low 20's and his overall gpa was below a 3.0 (his bcpm was about 2.5). he really thinks that he'll be accepted into a caribbean school but i really dont think his chances are anywhere near being accepted. unfortunately i dont have the heart to tell him otherwise and crush his hopes and dreams. what do you guys think about my boy's situation. you think he can get into any caribbean school (i.e. st. george, ross, st. matthew, or saba)?

Ok, if you are so worried about crushing your 'friend', why the lengthy autobiography? :rolleyes:

pmtdenna said:
Ok, if you are so worried about crushing your 'friend', why the lengthy autobiography? :rolleyes:

haha...not an autobiography...honestly. MY stats are 3.1 overall and 2.8 bcpm with a lower mcat than his. i dont want to go the caribbean route which is why i am opting to stay in the US and do a masters whereas he believes that doing the masters is a waste of time and will never ever "stoop as low" as to do DO. i'd rather do DO than MD but that just my opinion

future doc??? said:
haha...not an autobiography...honestly. MY stats are 3.1 overall and 2.8 bcpm with a lower mcat than his. i dont want to go the caribbean route which is why i am opting to stay in the US and do a masters whereas he believes that doing the masters is a waste of time and will never ever "stoop as low" as to do DO. i'd rather do DO than MD but that just my opinion

Ok, so on what basis is your friend making this decision? If he thinks going to a DO school is beneath him, I seriously question how serious he is about going to medical school. Whenever I hear something like "I would never stoop as low as to do DO" then it tells me they are ignorant. I'm sure it is possible for your friend to get into an offshore carib school. But I think maybe the reason your friend won't stoop so low, is because in his mind he knows the DO schools won't either. +pity+

pmtdenna said:
Ok, so on what basis is your friend making this decision? If he thinks going to a DO school is beneath him, I seriously question how serious he is about going to medical school. Whenever I hear something like "I would never stoop as low as to do DO" then it tells me they are ignorant. I'm sure it is possible for your friend to get into an offshore carib school. But I think maybe the reason your friend won't stoop so low, is because in his mind he knows the DO schools won't either. +pity+

pmtdenna,

why do u think u got negED from DO schools your stats seem in range for DO

MSc44 said:
pmtdenna,

why do u think u got negED from DO schools your stats seem in range for DO

Quite simply, I did everything too late. I applied late, asked for LOR late, etc. Completely dumb, I know. :(

pmtdenna said:
Quite simply, I did everything too late. I applied late, asked for LOR late, etc. Completely dumb, I know. :(

Hi again,pmdenna!
Sorry to hear man you didn't get in D.O. :( But if it's only for applying late, I'd think it's worth another shot in the next year's cycle. Remember Carib will always be there. in exchange for a pile of cash :laugh: . I got in to ROSS,SABA and SMU back in 2004, wound up at ROSS for a couple of semesters.But it's a different story.
Anyway, good luck to you in applying :D

studentdoctor2 said:

Please show me the sources. I would love to see the USMLE step pass rates as well.

Shah_Patel_PT said:
Please show me the sources. I would love to see the USMLE step pass rates as well.

i had emailed the schools and that was the information that they sent back to me. i have no idea about the USMLE pass rates.

billydoc said:
Hi again,pmdenna!
Sorry to hear man you didn't get in D.O. :( But if it's only for applying late, I'd think it's worth another shot in the next year's cycle. Remember Carib will always be there. in exchange for a pile of cash :laugh: . I got in to ROSS,SABA and SMU back in 2004, wound up at ROSS for a couple of semesters.But it's a different story.
Anyway, good luck to you in applying :D

Thanks very much. I have an interview with Saba tomorrow a.m. I hear what you are saying about waiting until next year. However, my wife and I have talked it over and have decided to go with Saba, providing they accept me. I'll let you know how it goes. :luck:

pmtdenna said:

i always thought he knew deep inside that DO schools wouldnt take him either and with his stats i thought he was taking a shot in the dark of getting into caribbean. but from what ive seen in the forum i guess he does have a chance of getting in. he did just tell me he got rejected from st. matthews but was accepted by ross which is a tad hard to believe because i was told it was easier to get into st. matthews than ross. however, he rejected ross because his first choice is st. george.

future doc??? said:
i always thought he knew deep inside that DO schools wouldnt take him either and with his stats i thought he was taking a shot in the dark of getting into caribbean. but from what ive seen in the forum i guess he does have a chance of getting in. he did just tell me he got rejected from st. matthews but was accepted by ross which is a tad hard to believe because i was told it was easier to get into st. matthews than ross. however, he rejected ross because his first choice is st. george.

He rejected Ross without any word from St. George? :eek:

pmtdenna said:
He rejected Ross without any word from St. George? :eek:

yup. go figure. i however find it hard to believe, because he tends to be somewhat of a pathological liar so i dont even know if his aceptances are even true or not. but according to him, he said no thank you to ross.

Leukocyte said:
It depends on your shedule, but you do rotations at different hospitals most of the time...Better this way since no one hospital has ACGME residencies in all of your rotations.

Is this only a foreign school requirement? Because I have done rotations at my home US institution at hospitals and clinics without residencies in the field I was rotating at, e.g. family medicine at an outpatient site. And we just got LCME re-accredited not long ago (with flying colours I might add).

neutropenic said:
Is this only a foreign school requirement? Because I have done rotations at my home US institution at hospitals and clinics without residencies in the field I was rotating at, e.g. family medicine at an outpatient site. And we just got LCME re-accredited not long ago (with flying colours I might add).

Yes, it is an important foreign school requirement because it exposes students to an academic program where teaching is an integral part of the program as opposed to private hospitals where med students sometimes do scut work all day and have to compete with interns and residents for any type of patient interaction.

McGillGrad said:
Yes, it is an important foreign school requirement because it exposes students to an academic program where teaching is an integral part of the program as opposed to private hospitals where med students sometimes do scut work all day and have to compete with interns and residents for any type of patient interaction.

i was selected for a ross interview. i was wondering if anyone could tell me how the interview day went in miami. i looked on SDN interview feedback and made what i think of how it goes. if the order is incorrect or i am missing/adding anything, please correct it:

8:30AM-1PM
Interview (1 on 1, open file, with like 20 questions--60 minutes)
Video (15-30 minutes)
Q&A about video (5 minutes)

also, please tell me if i need to look over anything else besides the following:
SDN interview feedback, my application, school website, current events, my senior thesis, CIA world factbook of dominica

future doc??? said:
yup. go figure. i however find it hard to believe, because he tends to be somewhat of a pathological liar so i dont even know if his aceptances are even true or not. but according to him, he said no thank you to ross.

You sure he is your friend? Sounds like a flake to me.

pmtdenna said:
You sure he is your friend? Sounds like a flake to me.

well we all tend to use the word "friend" rather loosely. hes somewhere above acquaintance but way below the friend level. he was a good study buddy while in school but thats pretty much it.

When a carib school's website has listed average GPAs and MCATs, how do you know that the average is composed of ALL admitted students? You don't because the schools do not tell you which students are used to calculate that average. A guess would be that they don't factor ALL admitted students into such calculations like the US schools do. If a student who has a decent GPA, but has a low MCAT or vice-versa, why would the school factor into their so-called "average" calculations the poor score (GPA or MCAT) of that student? They wouldn't. It would hurt their so-called "reputation" of admitting top students and their marketing efforts, not only to students but also to residency programs & licensing boards would suffer. Remember, carib schools are not under the scrutiny or regulations of any legitimate licensing board such as the LCME.

BlondeCookie said:
When a carib school's website has listed average GPAs and MCATs, how do you know that the average is composed of ALL admitted students? You don't because the schools do not tell you which students are used to calculate that average. A guess would be that they don't factor ALL admitted students into such calculations like the US schools do. If a student who has a decent GPA, but has a low MCAT or vice-versa, why would the school factor into their so-called "average" calculations the poor score (GPA or MCAT) of that student? They wouldn't. It would hurt their so-called "reputation" of admitting top students and their marketing efforts, not only to students but also to residency programs & licensing boards would suffer. Remember, carib schools are not under the scrutiny or regulations of any legitimate licensing board such as the LCME.

What's up with all the bitterness? You need to get out of the bitter barn and play in the hay. Sending you some much needed :love:

BlondeCookie said:

and LCME schools don't lie about their stats? On their website, AAMC website and other available resourses the University of Arkansas for Medical Science repoerted that their class avaerage to be 27 mcat and 3.6 gpa. But the words coming from their own students said that the average is taken by the highest score in each sect. on the mcat. So if joe bob has a 6v, 7p, 7b and mary sue has 7v, 8p, 9b and shaq has 6v, 9p, 4b so then the average accordin gto the school is 7v from mary sue, 9p from shaq and 9b from mary sue averaging to be 25 mcat score. There are also many students there with mcat scores that many would say falls in the DO range or caribb range. You might want to talk to your local students if you want to know whether your LCME school is telling the truth abt the average score.

phisigman03 said:
and LCME schools don't lie about their stats? On their website, AAMC website and other available resourses the University of Arkansas for Medical Science repoerted that their class avaerage to be 27 mcat and 3.6 gpa. But the words coming from their own students said that the average is taken by the highest score in each sect. on the mcat. So if joe bob has a 6v, 7p, 7b and mary sue has 7v, 8p, 9b and shaq has 6v, 9p, 4b so then the average accordin gto the school is 7v from mary sue, 9p from shaq and 9b from mary sue averaging to be 25 mcat score. There are also many students there with mcat scores that many would say falls in the DO range or caribb range. You might want to talk to your local students if you want to know whether your LCME school is telling the truth abt the average score.

The Univ of Arkansas and all LCME accredited schools all follow the rules and regulations by the LCME. Average MCATs and GPAs are calculated the same way for each and every LCME school. Not by picking and choosing which student or sectional score to enter into the calculation as you have proposed. There is a huge difference between being accredited by a legitimate body such as the LCME and not accredited by any legitimate means at all.

BlondeCookie said:
The Univ of Arkansas and all LCME accredited schools all follow the rules and regulations by the LCME. Average MCATs and GPAs are calculated the same way for each and every LCME school. Not by picking and choosing which student or sectional score to enter into the calculation as you have proposed. There is a huge difference between being accredited by a legitimate body such as the LCME and not accredited by any legitimate means at all.

maybe my math is off but when you admitt students with mcat score in the low 20s even some in the high teens and maybe a hand full of students in the high 20s or low 30s but still claim to have an avergae of 27 mcat??? there are loops and holes in those rules and regulations plus they are not specific. Rules are made to be broken. How many people do you know that read the Driver's manual and actually drives like the manual tells them to?

I have similar stats GPA - 2.83 (pre-med courses 2.2, eek) MCAT -24 from Princeton. Lots of ECs, volunteerwork, etc.
Would really love to go to St. George's - do you think this is viable at all?
How much easier is it to get into the January class?