This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booknerdz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a recent graduate (URM/disadvantaged/3.64 GPA) and just got my second MCAT score back. 494. Pretty discouraged because I spent months studying. I used Khan Academy, Kaplan, and the AAMC materials. I decided to study on my own since I didn’t have the money to pay for a professional preparation course.

My first score was a 490 and that time my anxiety was super high. I didn’t sleep the night before, couldn’t eat, and couldn’t focus. I thought since my last couple of practice exams this time around were 500 and 503, I’d be good. I actually felt confident and in a much better place. Getting my second score back almost felt like a smack in the face.

So now I’m left deciding on what to do. This is my dream and I’m willing to put in the work.
1. How does a 3rd score look to med schools?
2. What are my options?
3. How can I fix this MCAT issue?!

I’m 21 and honestly don’t mind taking time off to refine myself and my app. I did still apply to some schools with lower stats (Meharry, Howard, Morehouse, etc...) and have gotten secondaries, but I’m not getting my hopes up. I’m kind of hoping to have a shot at Meharry’s MHS program.

Let me know what you think...I’m fine with tough love.

Edit: This is also my first time applying

Members don't see this ad.

I’m a recent graduate (URM/disadvantaged/3.64 GPA) and just got my second MCAT score back. 494. Pretty discouraged because I spent months studying. I used Khan Academy, Kaplan, and the AAMC materials. I decided to study on my own since I didn’t have the money to pay for a professional preparation course.

My first score was a 490 and that time my anxiety was super high. I didn’t sleep the night before, couldn’t eat, and couldn’t focus. I thought since my last couple of practice exams this time around were 500 and 503, I’d be good. I actually felt confident and in a much better place. Getting my second score back almost felt like a smack in the face.

So now I’m left deciding on what to do. This is my dream and I’m willing to put in the work.
1. How does a 3rd score look to med schools?
2. What are my options?
3. How can I fix this MCAT issue?!

I’m 21 and honestly don’t mind taking time off to refine myself and my app. I did still apply to some schools with lower stats (Meharry, Howard, Morehouse, etc...) and have gotten secondaries, but I’m not getting my hopes up. I’m kind of hoping to have a shot at Meharry’s MHS program.

Let me know what you think...I’m fine with tough love.

Edit: This is also my first time applying

I would say don't be discouraged. Take some time to reflect on your progress and your life goals. Long story short I've taken the MCAT 4x ( 2 of which was this year 1: Jan. & 2: May). I was enrolled in a professional course but my level of determination and confidence was different for each exam. I was never discouraged by my score. Seeing a "low" score encouraged me to push harder and reassured me that I wanted this journey. I was hesitant to create an Sdn account because I didn't want to fall victim to comparing myself to others. During this whole journey I never really asked "how would this look to medical schools" because I feel that successful applicants are unique and there is no definite answer or way to getting in. Yes, I've taken the MCAT 4x but each time I've progressed which means something to me. My progression was deeper than the score; my confidence & determination were enhanced significantly. But blah blah I may be talking a lot. Long story short if you believe you can do better than do just that. Even though I've taken the exam four times and scored slightly above a 500 I still received an interview invite! So, don't be discouraged by your score or the number of attempts, perseverance is key!

Reactions: 1 users
I would say don't be discouraged. Take some time to reflect on your progress and your life goals. Long story short I've taken the MCAT 4x ( 2 of which was this year 1: Jan. & 2: May). I was enrolled in a professional course but my level of determination and confidence was different for each exam. I was never discouraged by my score. Seeing a "low" score encouraged me to push harder and reassured me that I wanted this journey. I was hesitant to create an Sdn account because I didn't want to fall victim to comparing myself to others. During this whole journey I never really asked "how would this look to medical schools" because I feel that successful applicants are unique and there is no definite answer or way to getting in. Yes, I've taken the MCAT 4x but each time I've progressed which means something to me. My progression was deeper than the score; my confidence & determination were enhanced significantly. But blah blah I may be talking a lot. Long story short if you believe you can do better than do just that. Even though I've taken the exam four times and scored slightly above a 500 I still received an interview invite! So, don't be discouraged by your score or the number of attempts, perseverance is key!

Very encouraging!! Thank you for your story!

Members don't see this ad :)
First, kudos on your journey! Keep at it and don't give up! I do have a few observations.

1. Paying for a professional course is an investment in your future. Even if you need to take loans or take on more credit card debt (i.e. spend money that you currently do not have) it will be worth it as it is the "good type of debt', which is an investment in your future earnings potential.
2. Spending "months studying" and listing resources you used does not mean you are using that time or those study materials as effectively and efficiently as you could. Adjust your study method if what you're doing is not working.
3. I agree that your emotional state will have an impact on your performance. Figure out a way to be in control of your emotions. Some people use meditation and mindfulness. Find out what works for you.
4. You should plan to go all in and act as if this will be your only time applying. The admissions committee might sense if you're not serious about matriculating this time around.

I've leave the others to answer your specific questions.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
First, kudos on your journey! Keep at it and don't give up! I do have a few observations.

1. Paying for a professional course is an investment in your future. Even if you need to take loans or take on more credit card debt (i.e. spend money that you currently do not have) it will be worth it as it is the "good type of debt', which is an investment in your future earnings potential.
2. Spending "months studying" and listing resources you used does not mean you are using that time or those study materials as effectively and efficiently as you could. Adjust your study method if what you're doing is not working.
3. I agree that your emotional state will have an impact on your performance. Figure out a way to be in control of your emotions. Some people use meditation and mindfulness. Find out what works for you.
4. You should plan to go all in and act as if this will be your only time applying. The admissions committee might sense if you're not serious about matriculating this time around.

I've leave the others to answer your specific questions.

Good luck!

Thank you so much!!