MCAT 38Q, GPA 3.94, Institutional Action for Sexual Misconduct, chanc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merlepan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are my chances of getting in to at least somewhere given that I have an institutional action (of sexual misconduct)?
There was alcohol involved and touching from both parties, excluding penetration of any sort or disrobing.Police investigated and case was dismissed by the prosecutor. I respectfully disagree with the findings of the institution.

I have had 2.5 years of research experience (been co authored in two journal articles),
Have volunteered at a hospital for a full year
Have been an executive board position for academics in my club
Shadowing experience with a plastic surgeon

Members don't see this ad :)
What are my chances of getting in to at least somewhere given that I have an institutional action (of sexual misconduct)?
There was alcohol involved and touching from both parties, excluding penetration of any sort or disrobing.Police investigated and case was dismissed by the prosecutor. I respectfully disagree with the findings of the institution.

I have had 2.5 years of research experience (been co authored in two journal articles),

Thanks!

Not a pro when it comes to these things, but your stats might just be awesome enough that they might overlook your misconduct, and let you in. Your stats are that good. But I think someone who knows the ins and outs of this should give you a better opinion.

Also, you posted in the wrong forum man. You were supposed to post in the "What are my chances?" forum. Its all good, mods will move this over there.

Thanks!

While the legal case was dismissed, what happened with the university's case? You got an IA it sounded like? If so, you'll have to report it. Honestly, any hx of sexual misconduct pretty much ends a career in any health profession. Since the legal case was dismissed, I am less certain as to how medical schools will see it. Had you been found guilty of anything along those lines, it'd be over, but as-is, I think you'd have to ask the schools themselves. Maybe LizzyM will have some thoughts.

While the legal case was dismissed, what happened with the university's case? You got an IA it sounded like? If so, you'll have to report it. Honestly, any hx of sexual misconduct pretty much ends a career in any health profession. Since the legal case was dismissed, I am less certain as to how medical schools will see it. Had you been found guilty of anything along those lines, it'd be over, but as-is, I think you'd have to ask the schools themselves. Maybe LizzyM will have some thoughts.

Not true, I applied 2 years ago so it may have changed. Only some secondaries ask for IA. The question on AMCAS is if you have been convicted of any crime excluding traffic violations. While I believe in full transparency, why air out your dirty laundry if it isn't asked for and doesn't apply to your life now. Confirm it is not on your official transcript first though. And if it's something you've learned from, spin it into a positive.:luck:

The University found me responsible. I did get an IA but I'm waiting on the sanctions. I plan on reporting it and try to really explain that it was a mistake and that I have learned an important lesson. What concerns me the most is that people take sexual misconduct very very seriously. For the record, I do believe that the judgment was very biased, so should I consider appealing/taking it up with a higher level?

Also, the primary AMCAS application already asks if you have any IA, so i all my schools will see it.

The University found me responsible. I did get an IA but I'm waiting on the sanctions. I plan on reporting it and try to really explain that it was a mistake and that I have learned an important lesson. What concerns me the most is that people take sexual misconduct very very seriously. For the record, I do believe that the judgment was very biased, so should I consider appealing/taking it up with a higher level?

Depends on what happened. Appealing might be a good idea if you really weren't guilty but we have no background or information with which to make such a judgment here.

Music2doc,

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by any history of sexual misconduct pretty much ruins any health profession?

Music2doc,

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by any history of sexual misconduct pretty much ruins any health profession?

6,000+ people apply.

Easy way to weed people out is throw out the felons, multiple DUI's, and sexual offenders, etc.

Why risk accepting someone with a "history" when you have so many other options (applicants).

If something does happen again, it looks very bad on the school because they knowingly accepted someone who "has a history" and the "school should have known better."

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. If anything happens in medical school or later, investigators-- or the media-- might look at the college record (or just talk to former classmates) and find out about the IA. Then the finger may be pointed back at the medical school with, "how could you have let this guy in?"

With 10 or more applicants for every seat, schools can be picky and although some will be attracted to you your high stats and interesting activites, that IA for sexual misconduct could be toxic.

Appeal the decision if that is possible. If you could plead down to just the violation of a rule against drinking (if there is such a rule at your school), that could salavage your chances of being admitted to medical school.

Concur strongly with this post. Our AdCom had a nearly identical discussion at our last meeting over someone who had a difference offence, but the sentiment was still the same...with so many stellar candidates, why take any chances.

OP, you may respectfully disagree with youe University's decision, but that's not going to impress anyone on an Adcom. It might help you to own your transgression and learn from it.

6,000+ people apply

Easy way to weed people out is throw out the felons, multiple DUI's, and sexual offenders, etc

Why risk having accepting someone with a "history" when you have so many other options (applicants).

If something does happen again, it looks very bad on the school because they "have a history" and the "school should have known better."

Fight it. You don't want that on your record no matter how good of an applicant you are.

Fight it. You don't want that on your record no matter how good of an applicant you are.

+1 Fight to death because a sexual misconduct IA will block most if not all of your opportunities in an application cycle.

There are a lot of applicants for every seat, true, but how many have a 3.94/38? Those are great numbers, and I think if he can explain the situation at least one school will want numbers like that. Or at least I would hope. Maybe the Top 10 schools have other great applicants from which to choose, but certainly one of his state schools will want him, right?

Edit: By "great," I mean amazing. As in, 99th percentile.

Last edited:
If you really wanna be a doctor, go to the caribbean.

Do you know of any schools that might be more open to my explanation?

Any schools actually take the time to further investigate/consider the full story?

I am planning to apply to 40-50 just to increase the chances that one will listen.

There are a lot of applicants for every seat, true, but how many have a 3.94/38? Those are great numbers, and I think if he can explain the situation at least one school will want numbers like that. Or at least I would hope. Maybe the Top 10 schools have other great applicants from which to choose, but certainly one of his state schools will want him, right?

maybe....maybe not. ted bundy had a lot of girlfriends. jeff dahmer had a lot of boyfriends. many serial killers are educated.

i am not trying to insinuate that the OP is anything like this, but having a sexual misconduct problem immediately puts rape in someones mind. that is just the priming nature of our society. that is a very serious crime and it could cascade in someones mind to one of these doctors that get arrested for 40 murders. is it drastic? hell yes it is, but in an adcom's mind, if there is .01% chance of that happening, it won't matter if the OP has a 45/4.0.

OP- all you can really do is work your ass off to appeal. if you can't just hope for the best.

Let's talk about an applicant with a 4.0/45 and a record of "sexual misconduct". How will the medical school be able to justify the acceptance of that applicant if in the future he rapes a patient during clinical rotation? I personally think it's too big of a risk. Everyone will point fingers at the school for "missing the signs".

Music2doc,

You won't be able to be licensed. The state would be allowing a known sexual predator (you) access to a vulnerable population (patients). Not going to happen if they are doing their jobs.

6,000+ people apply.

Easy way to weed people out is throw out the felons, multiple DUI's, and sexual offenders, etc.

Why risk accepting someone with a "history" when you have so many other options (applicants).

If something does happen again, it looks very bad on the school because they knowingly accepted someone who "has a history" and the "school should have known better."

Actually, even beyond that, there are licensing issues. When I became eligible to get my EMT-B license, one of the first things I had to go through was a background check (prior to being licensed). Had I had a "sexual misconduct incident" the the state licensing board would have cut me off right there and I would not have been allowed a license. I am pretty darn close to 100% certain that the criteria for MD licensure is more (not less) stringent than that for EMS!

Let's talk about an applicant with a 4.0/45 and a record of "sexual misconduct". How will the medical school be able to justify the acceptance of that applicant if in the future he rapes a patient during clinical rotation? I personally think it's too big of a risk. Everyone will point fingers at the school for "missing the signs".

Yes. And actually, even when a report is ultimately rejected as lacking evidence, it still may go into a state file. As a personal example, I worked with psychiatric youth and had a girl make the accusation that I was "dating her friend" who was around 10-13 yrs of age at the time. Apparently, the other girl had made a comment to her friend that we were "going out." Of course, upon hearing this, I immediately let the site supervisor on duty know. All staff were questioned and had to write reports on my behavior. (All basically said the same thing -- that I was appropriate with all students, had good boundaries, immediately let them know upon finding out about this girl's apparent fantasy, etc.) The director submitted a critical incident report to the state that night per protocol. I had to meet with a state investigator about 2 weeks later. She cleared my file because my responses strongly indicated innocence. Still, she warned me that the fact that my file has been touched means I have to be careful because it basically places a flag on my name. In other words, even being cleared as 100% innocent can still come back and bite you in the a**!

People get rejected with those stats all the time. Schools aren't desperate. One guy isn't going to make their averages become a home run hit. https://www.aamc.org/download/157958/data/table25-mcatgpa-grid-white-0911.pdf

OP, unfortunately, your career in medicine might have just ended there. Sexual misconduct is simply too risky for schools to take a gamble with it, and even if a school did, how many residency programs will want that on their shoulders? I think you need to start venturing on different career choices.

Not true, I applied 2 years ago so it may have changed. Only some secondaries ask for IA. The question on AMCAS is if you have been convicted of any crime excluding traffic violations. While I believe in full transparency, why air out your dirty laundry if it isn't asked for and doesn't apply to your life now. Confirm it is not on your official transcript first though. And if it's something you've learned from, spin it into a positive.:luck:
Not true on your part. I could take a screenshot of the application if you'd like where it does ask if you have ever been the recipient of an institutional action.

Do you know of any schools that might be more open to my explanation?

Any schools actually take the time to further investigate/consider the full story?

I am planning to apply to 40-50 just to increase the chances that one will listen.

Personally, the "explanation" part is where I think it becomes fuzzy. Full disclosure: I've done a great deal of volunteer work with a local crisis response non-profit, and spend a lot of time working with victims of sexual crimes and domestic violence. So this response is definitely colored by my experience with that.

For this to have *ever* gotten to the level of any kind of investigation, this had to have been a lot more involved than simple "touching" as you put it. No one is getting an IA or police investigation over "touching" someone while drunk at a party.

Whether you got naked and vaginally penetrated your victim is irrelevant. You engaged in a level of unwanted and abusive "touching" that prompted your victim to contact the police, and led your institution to take action against you. The fact that you are trying to say that everyone blew this out of proportion tells me that you have serious deficits in understanding proper boundaries, respecting the rights of others, and accepting personal responsibility for your own bad behavior. An added complication is the fact that the medical profession tends to attract a number of people with "God complexes" (on a power trip, narcissistic, etc.). That tendency coupled with your sexual misconduct and refusal to own up to it make you a very concerning applicant.

As someone with experience with these issues, I would want to see you take responsibility for your actions (were I on your adcom). Here's what I would want to read:

"My actions were out of line, completely inappropriate, and inexcusable. I accept full responsibility for my behavior. While I can never undo the damage I've caused, I have apologized sincerely to the young woman and her family, and have gone through counseling to help me process this experience and understand how to avoid it in the future."

If you really want to get their attention, go through a class for sex offenders, or something else to demonstrate that you fully understand why what you did was wrong, and what it's like to be on the receiving end of that sort of behavior. There are men on my campus who lead discussion/focus groups with other men to acquaint them with the impact of sexual violence. You might get involved with something like that.

In my opinion, the goal is not to "excuse" your behavior, or convince an adcom that what you did was no big deal. You want to mitigate their concern that you are a dangerous sexual predator. The best way to do that is to confront the situation head on.

Actually, even beyond that, there are licensing issues. When I became eligible to get my EMT-B license, one of the first things I had to go through was a background check (prior to being licensed). Had I had a "sexual misconduct incident" the the state licensing board would have cut me off right there and I would not have been allowed a license. I am pretty darn close to 100% certain that the criteria for MD licensure is more (not less) stringent than that for EMS!

When I applied for my state EMT-B license my application was put on hold because I had to gather tons of documentation on a minor in possesion of alcohol violation that I recieved. So I am with you on this one.

As someone with experience with these issues, I would want to see you take responsibility for your actions (were I on your adcom). Here's what I would want to read:

"My actions were out of line, completely inappropriate, and inexcusable. I accept full responsibility for my behavior. While I can never undo the damage I've caused, I have apologized sincerely to the young woman and her family, and have gone through counseling to help me process this experience and understand how to avoid it in the future."

If you really want to get their attention, go through a class for sex offenders, or something else to demonstrate that you fully understand why what you did was wrong, and what it's like to be on the receiving end of that sort of behavior. There are men on my campus who lead discussion/focus groups with other men to acquaint them with the impact of sexual violence. You might get involved with something like that.

In my opinion, the goal is not to "excuse" your behavior, or convince an adcom that what you did was no big deal. You want to mitigate their concern that you are a dangerous sexual predator. The best way to do that is to confront the situation head on.

Seriously? If you were on an adcom and received an application from someone who confessed to having been involved in behavior that was inexcusable and completely inappropriate would you really advocate for his admission to your medical school??

If the OP doesn't believe that he did anything wrong, should he claim that what he did was inexcusable and completely inappropriate?

Personally, the "explanation" part is where I think it becomes fuzzy. Full disclosure: I've done a great deal of volunteer work with a local crisis response non-profit, and spend a lot of time working with victims of sexual crimes and domestic violence. So this response is definitely colored by my experience with that.

For this to have *ever* gotten to the level of any kind of investigation, this had to have been a lot more involved than simple "touching" as you put it. No one is getting an IA or police investigation over "touching" someone while drunk at a party.

Whether you got naked and vaginally penetrated your victim is irrelevant. You engaged in a level of unwanted and abusive "touching" that prompted your victim to contact the police, and led your institution to take action against you. The fact that you are trying to say that everyone blew this out of proportion tells me that you have serious deficits in understanding proper boundaries, respecting the rights of others, and accepting personal responsibility for your own bad behavior. An added complication is the fact that the medical profession tends to attract a number of people with "God complexes" (on a power trip, narcissistic, etc.). That tendency coupled with your sexual misconduct and refusal to own up to it make you a very concerning applicant.

If it was just a misunderstanding that got blown out of proprtion, he shouldn't have to say that it was "completely inappropriate" and "inexcusable." I'm not saying he should make excuses for his mistake. But if there was no mistake in the first place, he shouldn't have his name sullied. If there was a mistake, then having read the other responses in this thread, the message to the OP is clear. But...I wonder if there's any way he can transfer that MCAT score to me. :)

Edit: Darnit, LizzyM beat me to it! :)

I disagree with what you've written. It's entirely within the realm of possibilities that the person involved and the school blew this out of proportion. I knew a guy that asked his professor to revise his grade. The professor refused. He insisted more and the professor responded by sending him to academic affairs office for plagiarism because the guy wrote on one link .htm instead of .html. I kid you not. That guy went through a world of **** with that office trying to simply crucify him because some professor was pissed. I don't know what ultimately happened to him (I graduated), but that goes to show how bs schools can be.

The OP should take responsibility over actions that are true, but he should not over ones that aren't. If he believes he's not at fault, he may entirely be true and it has nothing to do with him being a narcissist. He'd simply have to explain the situation and leave it to the judgment of the person reading it.

Unfortunately, however, we live in a society where a lot of people are black and white like you, so the reality is that taking responsibility or not, this guy is toast. He's not getting into medical school with sexual misconduct on file. Even I who am willing to entertain the possibility that he's not a bad guy would prefer not to run the risk.

OP, investigate options outside of the US. If you're really 3.9/38, you can be one of the few that can make it through an international education and get back here. This is assuming a state is willing to license you.

I doubt there will be any issues over licensure as the OP was not charged and therefore does not have a criminal record.

I do worry that students (mostly men) run the risk of being blackballed from medical school due to what I would consider misconduct by partners who go along, and then, after the fact, claim that they were victims of unwanted sexual attention.

OP some of the advice in here is horrible just stick to whatever LizzyM stated. I'm still laughing about people telling OP he will have licensing issues even though OP specifically stated it's an IA not a criminal conviction and at the other guy talking about making yourself look even worse by seeming more guilty than you are.

Agree with this completely. if you really think you're innocent, it should be a no brainer for you to fight against this IA on your file. If you realistically know you were in the wrong and you're actually guilty of an inappropriate act, then your denial isn't going to help you. It's time to own up to things so you can figure out what you need to do to get into medical school, or find another career.

Seriously? If you were on an adcom and received an application from someone who confessed to having been involved in behavior that was inexcusable and completely inappropriate would you really advocate for his admission to your medical school??

If the OP doesn't believe that he did anything wrong, should he claim that what he did was inexcusable and completely inappropriate?

Speaking for myself (and I am obviously not in a decision making position on an adcom anywhere ;)), with a situation like this one, I'd definitely consider someone in the OP's situation who did something bad, admitted they were wrong, and showed how they took steps to address it before I'd admit someone who had the OP's record and was trying to claim that they were the victim of unfair circumstances. That's not at all to say that I would admit the OP given history. That's to say that I'd give more consideration if the OP took responsibility.

It's the sexual nature of the issue that makes this a sticky issue. If the OP were caught drinking, smoking pot, etc. and were the subject of an IA as a result, the advice would be to accept responsibility. If the OP tried to claim that his university over-reacted by taking action over his underage drinking, he'd (rightly) be viewed as someone who thinks he is above the rules.

Yes, people do unfairly get caught in the net of unfair and untrue sexual accusations. I think that's absolutely horrible. Depending on what study you look at, the incidence of false reports of sex crimes run between 2% and 8%. If you include reports that are unsubstantiated (no judgement could be made one way or the other due to lack of evidence; this includes "he said, she said" cases), the incidence jumps to 41%. Clearly, this is a problem.

Given the fact that false/unsubstantiated reports can profoundly impact a person's life, perhaps the better question to ask is this:

For someone in the OP's situation, is there anything they could say to convince someone on an adcom that they were unjustly accused? It seems that the OP is trying to say he was the victim of a terrible misunderstanding. What could he say or do to bolster that reading of the situation?

If it were me, I'd be a lot more likely to be persuaded if the OP took responsibility and outlined the steps he took to make sure history doesn't repeat itself (ie, counseling). That's the only point I was trying to make. ;)

Speaking for myself (and I am obviously not in a decision making position on an adcom anywhere ;)), with a situation like this one, I'd definitely consider someone in the OP's situation who did something bad, admitted they were wrong, and showed how they took steps to address it before I'd admit someone who had the OP's record and was trying to claim that they were the victim of unfair circumstances. That's not at all to say that I would admit the OP given history. That's to say that I'd give more consideration if the OP took responsibility.

It's the sexual nature of the issue that makes this a sticky issue. If the OP were caught drinking, smoking pot, etc. and were the subject of an IA as a result, the advice would be to accept responsibility. If the OP tried to claim that his university over-reacted by taking action over his underage drinking, he'd (rightly) be viewed as someone who thinks he is above the rules.

Yes, people do unfairly get caught in the net of unfair and untrue sexual accusations. I think that's absolutely horrible. Depending on what study you look at, the incidence of false reports of sex crimes run between 2% and 8%. If you include reports that are unsubstantiated (no judgement could be made one way or the other due to lack of evidence; this includes "he said, she said" cases), the incidence jumps to 41%. Clearly, this is a problem.

Given the fact that false/unsubstantiated reports can profoundly impact a person's life, perhaps the better question to ask is this:

For someone in the OP's situation, is there anything they could say to convince someone on an adcom that they were unjustly accused? It seems that the OP is trying to say he was the victim of a terrible misunderstanding. What could he say or do to bolster that reading of the situation?

If it were me, I'd be a lot more likely to be persuaded if the OP took responsibility and outlined the steps he took to make sure history doesn't repeat itself (ie, counseling). That's the only point I was trying to make. ;)

Cool story... The point everyone else is trying to make is that OP should either get this thing stricken from the record (if he's innocent) or simply not be a doctor (if he's guilty). Plan C, proposed by you, is trying to have it both ways (and good luck to the OP if he tries it).

I contend that if this is a "he said, she said" that the OP needs to plead down to a violation of the alcohol rules (if it was a violation) and get the "sexual misconduct" dropped from his record.

On the other hand, I wonder if this isn't one of the most successful trolls of all time....

I contend that if this is a "he said, she said" that the OP needs to plead down to a violation of the alcohol rules (if it was a violation) and get the "sexual misconduct" dropped from his record.

On the other hand, I wonder if this isn't one of the most successful trolls of all time....

To be honest, upon first reading the thread before anyone commented on it, I was pretty sure this was a troll. If it is, well done by the OP for sucking everyone else in, which in turn sucked me in. :laugh:

Cool story... The point everyone else is trying to make is that OP should either get this thing stricken from the record (if he's innocent) or simply not be a doctor (if he's guilty). Plan C, proposed by you, is trying to have it both ways (and good luck to the OP if he tries it).

Fair enough. :oops:

In my warm, fuzzy utopia, no one sexually mistreats anyone. And if they do, they quickly realize what a horrible thing they've done and become shining beacons upon the highest hills--exemplary examples of how to be respectful of other people's rights and boundaries.

Sigh.

I used to get really, really, REALLY angry about sexual mistreatment, but found that this had a profoundly negative effect on my worldview and general happiness/well-being.

Looks like it might be time to look into the adoption of a new perspective, since neither my current nor former ways of dealing with it are working out too well. :laugh:

ETA: Once upon a time, I seem to recall having seen a discussion topic, re: would you want to be on an adcom? I didn't read the thread, but knew instantly that I would never ever ever ever ever want to be shouldered with that sort of responsibility. Right now, the only responsibility I have to shoulder are the decisions I make myself. I cannot imagine the stress and pressure of choosing dozens of candidates for your entering class, knowing that it's possible that you could be held to account for the actions of those chose at some future date. It just seems like an *awfully* emotionally ragged job. I don't envy anyone having that job.

Fair enough. :oops:

ETA: Once upon a time, I seem to recall having seen a discussion topic, re: would you want to be on an adcom? I didn't read the thread, but knew instantly that I would never ever ever ever ever want to be shouldered with that sort of responsibility. Right now, the only responsibility I have to shoulder are the decisions I make myself. I cannot imagine the stress and pressure of choosing dozens of candidates for your entering class, knowing that it's possible that you could be held to account for the actions of those chose at some future date. It just seems like an *awfully* emotionally ragged job. I don't envy anyone having that job.

It is like raising children. There are difficult decisions and "what-ifs" and long hours, some laughs, and in the end there is enormous gratification when they, through their own hard work, turn into people with whom you are very proud to be associated. These last few days I've been reflecting on our current crop of graduates including one who I most distinctly recall interviewing more than 4 years ago and another whose admission did not seem like a good idea (thank God I was overruled).

FYI for all that are saying his career is ended.

He got IA, not a conviction. This has no bearing on licensing. Institutional action is irrelevant in any background check unless there also is a charge. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Usually institutional findings are kept internally unless its drastic enough to put on a transcript.

Thanks for everyone's insight,

I am currently taking steps and will decide what to do soon. The prosecutor chose not to charge me because he/she thought that there was nothing to indicate probable cause for the allegation. I believe there are many ways i could explain this (lots of other elements that were incorrectly done) but I cannot disclose anymore information at this point in time.

My MCAT scores do last another year after this, so if i don't get anything this cycle. Be sure that I will do everything in my power to overturn this for next cycle.