WAMC: 3.9 cGPA, 3.86 sGPA, 518 MCAT, Institutional Action :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stdntny77895

Reaction score
I am having a sudden realization that the stupid (admittedly horrible and wrong) mistake I made freshman year might prevent me from ever attending medical school in the US. This story is to provide context, not an excuse whatsoever, I realized my action was wrong and I have lost sleep over it for the last 4 years. I was taking calculus my freshman year and up until march 2020 (covid :/) I had almost all 95%+ on my exams and homework, etc. Then we get sent home for covid and my assignments all become virtual, and my TA told us we could use whatever resources we wanted to. We didn't ever have another exam, everything was just switched to basically homework style. And this is where the stupid part comes in, my TA told us we could use outside resources, and instead of going to the textbook which was clearly stated as allowed, I just searched the questions in chegg. Even though our TA told us we could use whatever resources we wanted, deep down I knew it probably didn't mean chegg and I felt horrible about it, even before I got called in for academic dishonesty. I ended up taking a C in the class after getting called in for a discussion with the teacher and a moderator. At the time when they told me it wouldn't be on my transcript I truly never thought I would have to disclose it, and I tried to move on and never did anything like that again. Since then I have done nothing but work my butt off and got nothing but As (honestly).

What I didn't realize until today, was that I have to report it even though it is not on my transcript. I was just scrolling through AMCAS guidelines and my heart sunk immediately. I know I have to report it, and I feel awful about it ever happening, and 4 years later I still wake up in the middle of the night at least once a month with heart palpitations thinking about what I did. I just really did not fully understand the consequences of my actions when it all happened so I haven't had time to process it and come to terms, and now I haven't been able to stop crying since I read the AMCAS instructions.

Given this, I am hoping that because it was freshman year I might get some grace from adcoms. I worked so hard since then.
Volunteer hours non-clinical: 300 (all foodbank hours)
Volunteer hours clinical: 200 (hospital volunteering in ER and then Cardiology)
Clinical hours paid: 300 (medical assistant)
Shadowing: 100 (mix of surgery and primary care)
Research: 600 with posters (3 semesters) (microbiology research)
Peer Assistant for an intro biology class, on exec board for the pre-med honor society, exec board for a student club I've been in since freshman year, received a research scholarship, and outstanding undergraduate award for my major.

I am taking a gap year while either working as MA or doing research (haven't decided which I would prefer yet). Before today my plan was to apply in May, but now I am second guessing.

Should I apply in May still and pray and hope that it being 5 years ago will play in my favor and someone will see past it? I was planning on applying ED to my state-school (previously thought I was a really competitive applicant), is this too risky now? I've never told anyone this story because I am so ashamed so I am just looking for some perspectives. This has been my dream for so many years and I am not ready to accept that it's over. Sorry for the long post, thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have no advice and will let the experts do their thing, but just wanted to say best wishes, truly.

You've got a T20 MCAT score and stats, so hopefully it all works out.

Also, you might want to make your EC descriptions more descriptive (like put what you actually did) because you'll get flamed for that.

Where is your state of residence?

What was the nature of your non-clinical volunteering? These kinds of mistakes tend to happen in freshmen year, so having had 5 years with no problems since then and service to those less fortunate would be good.

You would need to setup a meeting to have a honest discussion about what your state school thinks about your ED chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence?

What was the nature of your non-clinical volunteering? These kinds of mistakes tend to happen in freshmen year, so having had 5 years with no problems since then and service to those less fortunate would be good.

You would need to setup a meeting to have a honest discussion about what your state school thinks about your ED chances.
I'm from Louisiana and I updated to add more details about my ECs. I feel like if I were to ask medical schools directly they would give some answer about holistic approach, but then internally have different policies. I know Johns Hopkins has an automatic no policy for academic dishonesty, and I guess I don't blame them, I just wish I had more clarity from other schools what they actual policies are :(

I ended up taking a C- in the class after getting called in for a discussion with the teacher and a moderator.
How was this reported with your student conduct office?

Did you retake this C-minus class? C-minuses are not passing grades. The C-minus counts in your GPA, so are you sure you calculated your GPA correctly?

How was this reported with your student conduct office?

Did you retake this C-minus class? C-minuses are not passing grades. The C-minus counts in your GPA, so are you sure you calculated your GPA correctly?
I just actually checked and it was a C, but I made literally all As apart from the C and an A- in philosophy also freshman year, and a B+ in physiology sophomore year. And took over the 120 hours required to graduate because of extra pre-reqs that weren't in my major.

It was reported and will be on file and included in a dean's certification if I request one. It just isn't listed on my official transcript (This is the part I didn't understand, I just assumed not on transcript meant no record anywhere and I could move on, also not knowing AMCAS rules). Whether or not anyone actually asks for a dean's certification doesn't seem to really matter because based on the AMCAS description, I need to report it.

I'm from Louisiana and I updated to add more details about my ECs. I feel like if I were to ask medical schools directly they would give some answer about holistic approach, but then internally have different policies. I know Johns Hopkins has an automatic no policy for academic dishonesty, and I guess I don't blame them, I just wish I had more clarity from other schools what they actual policies are :(

With ED, the med school is supposed to have a specific meeting with candidates to go over their app and let them know if they are appropriate candidates. This is not a generic conversation with staff like you may think it is.

You should do this with both campuses to see how it goes immediately.

It was reported and will be on file and included in a dean's certification if I request one. It just isn't listed on my official transcript (This is the part I didn't understand, I just assumed not on transcript meant no record anywhere and I could move on, also not knowing AMCAS rules).
Read

I think registrars all agree that listing IAs on transcripts unnecessarily introduces negative bias, especially for those seeking jobs. IAs are not all the same and a transcript will not address the differences the way a Dean's letter would.

Dean's letters are requested as a condition of acceptance. If you are found to hide an IA, your offer would be in peril and would likely be rescinded.

You are compounding the freshman year mistake by being uninformed of the application process.

If you have conversations on ED, pay attention to taking your Casper and/or Preview exam in the next month.

Read

I think registrars all agree that listing IAs on transcripts unnecessarily introduces negative bias, especially for those seeking jobs. IAs are not all the same and a transcript will not address the differences the way a Dean's letter would.

Dean's letters are requested as a condition of acceptance. If you are found to hide an IA, your offer would be in peril and would likely be rescinded.

You are compounding the freshman year mistake by being uninformed of the application process.

If you have conversations on ED, pay attention to taking your Casper and/or Preview exam in the next month.
I was never planning on hiding the IA, I just said that when I was a freshman I didn't understand the full extent of it and didn't understand what my meeting really meant, I genuinely thought it was like a warning because that is how they front it because a first offense isn't on your transcript and you don't get suspended/expelled. I was uninformed, but now I'm not. I reached out to my school and they told me "not on transcript but on record so will be on a dean's letter" so I was just answering your question.

I said that I am to reporting it, I am just wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether it is still smart to apply in May and whether it is still smart to apply ED and risk a rejection and then be late in the application pool with an academic dishonesty IA.

But thank you, I have signed up for Casper.

Reactions: 1 user
With ED, the med school is supposed to have a specific meeting with candidates to go over their app and let them know if they are appropriate candidates. This is not a generic conversation with staff like you may think it is.

You should do this with both campuses to see how it goes immediately.
Thank you, I didn't see anything like that on the ED process page, but I will reach out. Thanks

Generally, Early Decision is not a good idea unless you receive some assurances from the school, prior to applying, that they are interested in you.
Apply broadly in June and I suggest these schools:
Your 2 Louisiana state public schools
Tulane
Vanderbilt
TCU
USF Morsani
Miami
Duke
Creighton
St. Louis
Northwestern
Western Michigan