Mayo vs U Michigan vs Dartmouth CAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOBound2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had some insight into these programs. Had great interview days with all three. I have family close by in all three programs. I know Ann Arbor is probably the nicest place to live and seems like mayo likely has the most research. I thought Dr. Donnelly at Dartmouth was amazing and feel like his fellows were well trained and happy so I am unsure what to do at this point. I am personally interested in staying in academics after fellowship. With interviews being virtual it’s been tough to really get a great feel for programs so any insight would be much appreciated. I am leaning Michigan at the top wonderful program with great fellows and a lot of opportunities for what I am interested in specifically Autism spectrum disorder.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know anything about the other two programs but from back when I interviewed in person UMich CAP’s inpatient facilities are beautiful, that + the way better geographical location would definitely make me pick them! I’m sure they have comparable levels of research to the other two, I’d base it more on how you felt about the people and what your life outside of work would be like.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on their experience, you may get people recommending every combination. I’d say go with your gut.

If you want my vote:
1. Dartmouth
2. Michigan
3. Mayo
Usually that's what I would do and what I did with my adult residency and worked great but its just so much harder to get that feeling virtually unfortunately I like saving money but actually picking a program has made it very difficult. Thank you for your input!

I don’t know anything about the other two programs but from back when I interviewed in person UMich CAP’s inpatient facilities are beautiful, that + the way better geographical location would definitely make me pick them! I’m sure they have comparable levels of research to the other two, I’d base it more on how you felt about the people and what your life outside of work would be like.
Yeah that's the way I felt their program was awesome and Ann Arbor seems like a great town.

Just wondering if anyone had some insight into these programs. Had great interview days with all three. I have family close by in all three programs. I know Ann Arbor is probably the nicest place to live and seems like mayo likely has the most research. I thought Dr. Donnelly at Dartmouth was amazing and feel like his fellows were well trained and happy so I am unsure what to do at this point. I am personally interested in staying in academics after fellowship. With interviews being virtual it’s been tough to really get a great feel for programs so any insight would be much appreciated. I am leaning Michigan at the top wonderful program with great fellows and a lot of opportunities for what I am interested in specifically Autism spectrum disorder.
Dartmouth > Michigan >> Mayo

Dartmouth all the way! A truly academic program and will open doors for academics. Although I am sure the other two would too.