maybe a controversial issue..why pt? why not chiro? or vice versa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDPT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was talking to my advisor, and he asked me if i was interested in applying to chiro since the pre-reqs are the same, and i couldn't come up with a good reason why not. he said chiro's make more money and are a more respected "dr" but i just wanted to get other peoples opinions on why they chose pt and not chiro or vice versa.

Members don't see this ad.

You're likely to get a variety of replies on this one...I will give you the anti-chiro slant as I am an admitted basher of the chiro profession.

Pros of being a chiro: I don't think you'll find a profession more skilled in manual assessment manipulation of the spine - even among the osteopaths. You will likely make more money than most PT's in most settings. You will also have direct access to patients. High patient satisfaction rates and a very loyal following of folks wanting your services on a regular basis.

Cons of being a chiro: Please refer to www.chirobase.org and stay a while. It articulates the hundreds of reasons NOT to choose chiropractic as a profession.

I would strongly encourage you to look beyond the $$ of becoming a chiropractor. If money is what you are after, become an osteopath and be a part of a legitimate medical profession. I have said before and will say it again: If you are a chiropractor, you are either highly-suggestible or a charlatan. My 2 pesos.

Suggested Read
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/best_careers_2007/
Pick whatever profession and see:
A)Day in the Life--Typical Work day
B)Salary
C)Training
D)Just look at the dam site.
E)A Job~Rewarding to the right person but not for everyone

If you are looking for money then bust your butt in med school or dental school. So many people want the profession with the most money. Anything involving medical school will yield good dough , however, there will be plenty of bullshi* and obstacles before you get your gold.

Advisors know jack shi*. I suggest you shadow a PT, chiropractor, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner/nurse anestithist before you make your choice.

On the chiro issue, I dont know much about it so I wont make a comment. I have a friend who is months away from graduating from Chiropractic school at Life University and several friends who just got in PT school or just about graduating PT school.

My suggestion is what you want out of life. Ask yourself that question. There are pros and cons in EVERY profession. Sit down~write what you want~then research the field or should I do it for you lol.

Medical School
BEST Money
huge debt to pay with loans
Long Hours studying at night=Huge Pain
Big reward at the end after spending YEARS working under the gun and living with parents or eating ramin noodles
No lifestyle exept a few settings
You may end up separating from your partner but hell your a Dr so you can cheat with a nurse OR another medical professional ~LOL

Dentist
Great Money
Work 36 hours a week
Flexibilty
School is VERY HARD to get in
Have to be good with HANDS

Physician Assistant
Physician's assistant
Job growth: 49.65%
Base pay: The median expected salary for a typical Physician Assistant - Medical in the United States is $77,395.
Salaries are not doctor level but respectable–about $76,000 on average

Pharmacist
Job growth: 24.57%
Base pay: The median expected salary for a typical Pharmacist in the United States is $98,777.

Chiro
Fill me in on this

Physical Therapist
Just read the posts on this board

Nurse
Lowest education required -2 year - 4 year degree
Flexibility out the wazooo
Gets picked on by Dr's and adminstration
Rude Patients.
Good Money
HUGE Shortage
So many opportunities for advancement
Lots of bullshi* but I find the pros outweigh the cons but that depends on the person.

Now go research on your own

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bestjobs/2007

Members don't see this ad :)
i was talking to my advisor, and he asked me if i was interested in applying to chiro since the pre-reqs are the same, and i couldn't come up with a good reason why not. he said chiro's make more money and are a more respected "dr" but i just wanted to get other peoples opinions on why they chose pt and not chiro or vice versa.

Where I live it is much more difficult to get into PT school then chiro school so I had the option to get into both chiro school but choose PT for numerous reasons after doing some research.

One of the reasons is that I was able to get my education for under 20k at a public university versus over 100k for chiro school.

Another reason is that in general PTs have a better working relationship with the rest of the medical community then chiros and do not have to deal with the stigma associated with being a chiro (quack).

Also the fact that chiros make more money then PTs is somewhat of a misconception I think. I have talked to many chiros and chiro students...and it is true that in the 80s and 90s chiros were making a lot of money ..probably even more then some of the MDs but from what I have been hearing now ...is that things have gotten much more difficult.

I was told by recent chiro grads that almost 50% of their class do not practise as chiros anymore because they found it too difficult to make a decent living. They said that they were in too much debt to open thier own clinic and they were taken advantage of working as an associates sometimes making less then 30k a year. They said that the chiro field is oversaturated with chiros on almost every block.

New PT grads are making over 55k in hospitals and over 60k in out-patient settings where I live with garanteed jobs. Also I know several PTs who own their own clinic are making well over 100k a year. IF you go into private practise the reimbursement for treatment where I live is almost identicle for PT and chiros and PT clinics have direct acess and in general more support from MDs.

So I found that as a PT I would have more security and still have the same opportunities of owning my own clinic.

I also didnt want to be associated with so many of my chiro collegues who are involved with unethical practises.

As a former pre-chiripractic student who eventually "saw the light" I'll give you my perspective.

There are two main ways of thinking among chiuropractors: Evidence based (or scientific) and philosophical.

The evidence based chiropractors only promote what scientific studies have proven spinal manipulation to be beneficial for. This is basically treatment of back pain.

The philosophical chiropractors promote "chiropractic first" where essentially chiropractics will prevent just about any illness and and all "dis-ease" are caused by subluxations of the spine(throwing germ theory out the window). I was told by a chiropractor that although there are no studies to prove this that going to a chiro twice a week will prevent asthma, A.D.D., digestive disorders, cancer, etc.

The reason that I decided to switch over was because in order to make a decent living as a chiropractor, generally you need to promote the philosophical theories. In all good conscience, I couldn't promote something that I didn't believe in. If you believe in this, I say go for it.

The courses are basically the same, but you need a little more chemistry. The schools are not hard to get into, I got into Palmer chiropractic college (supposedly the "mecca" of schools) when I only had less than 1/4 of the prerequisites done (2 years to go). I talked to people that got in with a 2.3 gpa, they will take anybody who can pay because a lot of the schools are in financial trouble.

I would recommend volunteering in both settings before you make your choice. I think chiropractics has it's place, but only to an extent. You can google a few forums to get better info, and not everyone on the forums are pro-chiropractic.

I thought this might be an interesting read for those considering a career in chiropractic. The following was written by D.D. Palmer, founder of chiropractic. His philosophy continues to be practiced by a significant number of DC's throughout the world.

--------------

A Brief History of the Author and Chiropractic
by Daniel David Palmer
I was born on March 7, 1845, a few miles east of Toronto, Canada. My ancestors were Scotch and Irish on my maternal and English and German on my paternal side.

When my grandparents settled near the now beautiful city of Toronto, there was but one log house, the beginning of that great city. That region was then known as "away out west."

I came within one of never having a mamma. My mother was one of a pair of twins one of which died. The one which lived only weighed one and a half pounds.

When a baby I was cradled in a piece of hemlock bark. My mother was as full of superstition as an egg is full of meat, but my father was disposed to reason on the subjects pertaining to life.

I was a magnetic healer for nine years previous to discovering the principles which comprise the method known as Chiropractic. During this period much of that which was necessary to complete the science was worked out. I had discovered that many diseases were associated with derangements of the stomach, kidneys and other organs.

In the dim ages of the past when man lived in rude huts and rocky eaves, even up to the present time, he resorted to charms, necromancy and witchcraft for the relief of mental and physical suffering. His whole object was to find an antidote, a specific for each and every ailment which could and would drive out the intruder, as though the disorder was a creature of intelligence. In his desire to free himself from affliction and prolong his existence, he has searched the heavens above, he has gone into the deep blue sea, the bowels of the earth and every portion thereof. He has tried animal and mineral poisons, penetrated the dark forest with superstitious rite and with incantations, has gathered herbs, barks and roots for medicinal use. In his frenzy for relief, trusting that he might find a panacea, or at least a specific, he has slaughtered man, beast and bird, making use of their various parts alive and dead. He has made powders, ointments, pills, elixirs, decoctions, tinctures and lotions of all known vegetables and crawling creatures which could be found, giving therefor his reasons according to his knowledge.

One question was always uppermost in my mind in my search for the cause of disease. I desired to know why one person was ailing and his associate, eating at the same table, working in the same shop, at the same bench, was not. Why? What difference was there in the two persons that caused one to have pneumonia, catarrh, typhoid or rheumatism, while his partner, similarly situated, escaped? Why? This question had worried thousands for centuries and was answered in September, 1895.

Harvey Lillard, a janitor, in the Ryan Block, where I had my office, had been so deaf for 17 years that he could not hear the racket of a wagon on the street or the ticking of a watch. I made inquiry as to the cause of his deafness and was informed that when he was exerting himself in a cramped, stooping position, he felt something give way in his back and immediately became deaf. An examination showed a vertebra racked from its normal position. I reasoned that if that vertebra was replaced. the man's hearing should be restored. With this object in view, a half-hour's talk persuaded Mr. Lillard to allow me to replace it. I racked it into position by using the spinous process as a lever and soon the man could hear as before. There was nothing "accidental" about this, as it was accomplished with an object in view, and the result expected was obtained. There was nothing "crude" about this adjustment; it was specific, so much so that no Chiropractor has equaled it.

If no other discovery had been made, this, of itself, should have been hailed with delight. It was the key which has ultimately unlocked the secrets of functional metabolism; it is the entering wedge destined to split the therapeutical log of superstition wide open, revealing its irrational and ignorant construction.

Shortly after this relief from deafness, I had a case of heart trouble which was not improving. I examined the spine and found a displaced vertebra pressing against the nerves which innervate the heart. I adjusted the vertebra and gave immediate relief -- nothing "accidental" or "crude" about this. Then I began to reason if two diseases, so dissimilar as deafness and heart trouble, came from impingement, a pressure on nerves, were not other disease due to a similar cause? Thus the science (knowledge) and art (adjusting) of Chiropractic were formed at that time. I then began a systematic investigation for the cause of all diseases and have been amply rewarded.

I founded Chiropractic on Osteology, Neurology and FunctionsÑbones, nerves and the manifestations of impulses. I originated the art of adjusting vertebrae and the knowledge of every principle which is included in the construction of the science of Chiropractic.

The amount of nerve tension determines health or disease. In health there is normal tension, known as tone, the normal activity, strength and excitability of the various organs and functions as observed in a state of health. The kind of disease depends upon what nerves are too tense or too slack.

Functions performed in a normal manner and amount result in health. Diseases are conditions resulting from either an excess or deficiency of functionating.

The dualistic system -- spirit and body -- united by intellectual life -- the soul -- is the basis of this science of biology, and nerve tension is the basis of functional activity in health and disease.

Spirit soul and body compose the being, the source of mentality. Innate and Educated, two. mentalities, look after the welfare of the body physically and its surrounding environments.

Chiropractors correct abnormalities of the intellect as well as those of the body.

These discoveries and their development into a well-defined science are worth more to the student, practitioner and those desiring health, than all the therapeutical methods combined.

I am the originator, the Fountain Head of the essential principle that disease is the result of too much or not enough functionating. I created the art of adjusting vertebrae, using the spinous and transverse processes as levers, and named the mental act of accumulating knowledge, the cumulative function, corresponding to the physical vegetative function -- growth of intellectual and physical -- together, with the science, art and philosophy -- Chiropractic. It is now being followed, more or less, by 2,000 Chiropractors, and its use is being attempted by several other methods. It was I who combined the science and art and developed the principles thereof. I have answered the time-worn question -- what is life?
-------------

I thought this might be an interesting read for those considering a career in chiropractic. The following was written by D.D. Palmer, founder of chiropractic. His philosophy continues to be practiced by a significant number of DC's throughout the world.

--------------

A Brief History of the Author and Chiropractic
by Daniel David Palmer
I was born on March 7, 1845, a few miles east of Toronto, Canada. My ancestors were Scotch and Irish on my maternal and English and German on my paternal side.

When my grandparents settled near the now beautiful city of Toronto, there was but one log house, the beginning of that great city. That region was then known as "away out west."

I came within one of never having a mamma. My mother was one of a pair of twins one of which died. The one which lived only weighed one and a half pounds.

When a baby I was cradled in a piece of hemlock bark. My mother was as full of superstition as an egg is full of meat, but my father was disposed to reason on the subjects pertaining to life.

I was a magnetic healer for nine years previous to discovering the principles which comprise the method known as Chiropractic. During this period much of that which was necessary to complete the science was worked out. I had discovered that many diseases were associated with derangements of the stomach, kidneys and other organs.

In the dim ages of the past when man lived in rude huts and rocky eaves, even up to the present time, he resorted to charms, necromancy and witchcraft for the relief of mental and physical suffering. His whole object was to find an antidote, a specific for each and every ailment which could and would drive out the intruder, as though the disorder was a creature of intelligence. In his desire to free himself from affliction and prolong his existence, he has searched the heavens above, he has gone into the deep blue sea, the bowels of the earth and every portion thereof. He has tried animal and mineral poisons, penetrated the dark forest with superstitious rite and with incantations, has gathered herbs, barks and roots for medicinal use. In his frenzy for relief, trusting that he might find a panacea, or at least a specific, he has slaughtered man, beast and bird, making use of their various parts alive and dead. He has made powders, ointments, pills, elixirs, decoctions, tinctures and lotions of all known vegetables and crawling creatures which could be found, giving therefor his reasons according to his knowledge.

One question was always uppermost in my mind in my search for the cause of disease. I desired to know why one person was ailing and his associate, eating at the same table, working in the same shop, at the same bench, was not. Why? What difference was there in the two persons that caused one to have pneumonia, catarrh, typhoid or rheumatism, while his partner, similarly situated, escaped? Why? This question had worried thousands for centuries and was answered in September, 1895.

Harvey Lillard, a janitor, in the Ryan Block, where I had my office, had been so deaf for 17 years that he could not hear the racket of a wagon on the street or the ticking of a watch. I made inquiry as to the cause of his deafness and was informed that when he was exerting himself in a cramped, stooping position, he felt something give way in his back and immediately became deaf. An examination showed a vertebra racked from its normal position. I reasoned that if that vertebra was replaced. the man's hearing should be restored. With this object in view, a half-hour's talk persuaded Mr. Lillard to allow me to replace it. I racked it into position by using the spinous process as a lever and soon the man could hear as before. There was nothing "accidental" about this, as it was accomplished with an object in view, and the result expected was obtained. There was nothing "crude" about this adjustment; it was specific, so much so that no Chiropractor has equaled it.

If no other discovery had been made, this, of itself, should have been hailed with delight. It was the key which has ultimately unlocked the secrets of functional metabolism; it is the entering wedge destined to split the therapeutical log of superstition wide open, revealing its irrational and ignorant construction.

Shortly after this relief from deafness, I had a case of heart trouble which was not improving. I examined the spine and found a displaced vertebra pressing against the nerves which innervate the heart. I adjusted the vertebra and gave immediate relief -- nothing "accidental" or "crude" about this. Then I began to reason if two diseases, so dissimilar as deafness and heart trouble, came from impingement, a pressure on nerves, were not other disease due to a similar cause? Thus the science (knowledge) and art (adjusting) of Chiropractic were formed at that time. I then began a systematic investigation for the cause of all diseases and have been amply rewarded.

I founded Chiropractic on Osteology, Neurology and FunctionsÑbones, nerves and the manifestations of impulses. I originated the art of adjusting vertebrae and the knowledge of every principle which is included in the construction of the science of Chiropractic.

The amount of nerve tension determines health or disease. In health there is normal tension, known as tone, the normal activity, strength and excitability of the various organs and functions as observed in a state of health. The kind of disease depends upon what nerves are too tense or too slack.

Functions performed in a normal manner and amount result in health. Diseases are conditions resulting from either an excess or deficiency of functionating.

The dualistic system -- spirit and body -- united by intellectual life -- the soul -- is the basis of this science of biology, and nerve tension is the basis of functional activity in health and disease.

Spirit soul and body compose the being, the source of mentality. Innate and Educated, two. mentalities, look after the welfare of the body physically and its surrounding environments.

Chiropractors correct abnormalities of the intellect as well as those of the body.

These discoveries and their development into a well-defined science are worth more to the student, practitioner and those desiring health, than all the therapeutical methods combined.

I am the originator, the Fountain Head of the essential principle that disease is the result of too much or not enough functionating. I created the art of adjusting vertebrae, using the spinous and transverse processes as levers, and named the mental act of accumulating knowledge, the cumulative function, corresponding to the physical vegetative function -- growth of intellectual and physical -- together, with the science, art and philosophy -- Chiropractic. It is now being followed, more or less, by 2,000 Chiropractors, and its use is being attempted by several other methods. It was I who combined the science and art and developed the principles thereof. I have answered the time-worn question -- what is life?
-------------

Ok, now does THAT sound like a megalomaniacal madman or what??!!??
Goldfinger, Bomb Voyage etc . . . monologuing

Sheesh

Ok, now does THAT sound like a megalomaniacal madman or what??!!??
Goldfinger, Bomb Voyage etc . . . monologuing

Sheesh

Wait until you read chapter two where he discussed the talking Warthog that gave him his purpose in life, and the aliens who gave him special powers.

Oh and my take on this question. Chiro does not have its own area on this website...so clearly DPT wins. LOL

But seriously I think this is an interesting topic more for Chiros than DPTs. PT will always have the rehabilitative work and their role could be expanding. What will this mean to Chiros then in the long term? We know who most MD/DO are going to refer patients to if they need rehab work. LOL

Oh and my take on this question. Chiro does not have its own area on this website...so clearly DPT wins. LOL

But seriously I think this is an interesting topic more for Chiros than DPTs. PT will always have the rehabilitative work and their role could be expanding. What will this mean to Chiros then in the long term? We know who most MD/DO are going to refer patients to if they need rehab work. LOL

I agree PT's will likely have the market in the rehabilitative fields - as it should be. I think one of the biggest issues now is that the struggling chiros are now opening up "rehab" centers and competing with PT's. Due to the branding of chiropractic this will always threaten legitimate rehab clinics.

If the chiros would just practice within their scope of training, there would be much less friction between our professions. The trouble is, many chiros believe their scope is infinite. The PT profession is not without blame in this either. PT's need to stop worshiping at the alter of cervical and lumbar manipulation and just let the chiros have this red herring form of treatment. Although many PT's are skilled at manipulation, it is a very small part of our core curriculum and often requires extensive post-graduate training to become proficient.

I know I'll catch hell from some PT's on that, but passive spinal manipulation is not the cornerstone of our profession - active movement is however. If we practice within our scope in this regard, we will have firmer ground to make our case.

As far as chiros go...they are starting to be in big trouble financially and professionally. One thing managed care has done is to decrease or abolish payment for many of these fringe therapies. Consequently the chiros are having to sell much harder to get paid for their services. The chiros could work within this system and only perform necessary manipulations and other manual therapies, but the volume of patients would plummet as would the number of practicing chiros. (sounds like what's starting to happen now)

In the end, the chiros have a good opportunity to perform evidence-based treatments on their patients and join the legitimate medical profession. This will take years of weaning out the goofballs though. My two pesos.

I have to say that as a fellow PT, I do agree with PT2MD. Many of my colleagues would not be happy with that as well! The PT world is full of opportunities-just one of which is spine specific manual therapy. There are some great manual PT's who I see having addicted followers. This concerns me as it is one of the key aspects of chiropractics that we as PT's often complain about-the quick fix and the need for more adjustments. However, if spinal manipulation is a strong interest and one is contemplating PT vs chiropractic for that reason, I would still go with PT. PT offers so much versatility and the opportunity through continuing education to become proficient as a manual therapist. There is a fabulous series of courses through Michigan State through which some of the greatset manual PT's I know have trained.

Chiropractors are not a part of the traditional medical model. Their self promotion and high self confidence get them respect in some circles but overall the medical community seems to brush them aside. If you are interested in being in a well respected, highly skilled, research based (for the most part), interactive clinician-go for PT. Although i am considering a career change myself-i will always be an advocate for PT!!

I think if you are serious about quality chiropractic education you should look into National University of Health Sciences in Lombard (Chicago), IL. www.nuhs.edu

I think if you are serious about quality chiropractic education you should look into National University of Health Sciences in Lombard (Chicago), IL. www.nuhs.edu

Looks like the standard chiropractic curriculum. Do you have experience with this program in particular. What makes it a quality program? I am not trying to be antagonistic, but I am curious what distinguishes the different programs.

NUHS is noted to be the top chiropractic college due to it's evidence based curriculum. On paper every school looks the same, it has to because of the governmental accrediting agency but the qualiaty of the education varies from school to school. NUHS is the only Chiropractic school that requires a bachelor's degree prior to admission. I suggest you visit the schools you are interested in attending and make an informed decision for yourself. Sure most of the D.C.'s on the facualty got their degrees from NUHS...that is a good thing. How would you feel it you looked at the faculty list from Harvard and most of the MD's went to Harvard...not bad inbreeding there. I am just trying to give some requested advice here not start an arguement over chiropractic.

Reactions: 1 user

...Pros of being a chiro: I don't think you'll find a profession more skilled in manual assessment manipulation of the spine - even among the osteopaths. ...

As an osteopathic medical student, I wish to comment on PT2MD's post. I think that a DO who completes a neuromusculoskeletal/OMT residency would be as skilled if not more. Some of these programs even tie in family medicine, so these DOs are double boarded. What DC can offer full-scope medicine and advanced training in manual medicine?

Granted, few DOs choose this, so in that case maybe PT2MD is right :rolleyes:

Obviously I'm biased, but if you're interested in being a physician and in learning a lot about form and function and some cool musculoskeletal diagnoses and therapies, go the DO route over the DC route.

If you're interested in rehabilitation only, go the PT route.

As an osteopathic medical student, I wish to comment on PT2MD's post. I think that a DO who completes a neuromusculoskeletal/OMT residency would be as skilled if not more. Some of these programs even tie in family medicine, so these DOs are double boarded. What DC can offer full-scope medicine and advanced training in manual medicine?

Granted, few DOs choose this, so in that case maybe PT2MD is right :rolleyes:

Obviously I'm biased, but if you're interested in being a physician and in learning a lot about form and function and some cool musculoskeletal diagnoses and therapies, go the DO route over the DC route.

If you're interested in rehabilitation only, go the PT route.

I would be inclined to agree with you. I think DO's certainly have a more sound basis for practicing manipulative therapy provided they aren't performing fringe techniques such as craniosacral etc...However, how many DO's are out there who have completed this residency and make OMT the cornerstone of their practice? I can't believe the numbers can match up with the number of chiros who make manipulation a daily practice. I would imagine the average chiro is more adept at manual manipulation than the average DO from this perspective.

To me the more important difference is the philosophy behind OMT versus chiropractic manipulation. Ostensibly, there is a clinical rational behind an osteopath's decision to manipulate. The same can rarely be said of many chiropractors who manipulate indiscriminantly and without sound clinical reasoning.

I agree with you on your main idea. IF you feel strongly about manipulative therapy, please go the osteopathic route versus chiropractic. If you feel strongly about rehabilitation, become a physical therapist. You'll notice there is no sound reason to choose chiropractic when the other two options are available.

I would advocate for choosing a physical therapy career path over chiropractic for several reasons. I will list just a few below, because of time constraints, but I will preface this post by stating this refers to straight chiropractors. This represents the vast majority of the field, who derive their philosophies from outdated idealogies as I will describe below. These are the non-evidence based providers who attempt to see anywhere from 40 patients to > 100 patients (referred to high volume clinics - the hallmark of chiropractic success) per day. If you think I am fabricating this, do your own research.
1. Chiropractic salary quotes are not representative of actual expected income as the post-graduate attrition rates and also subsequent student loan default rates are sky high. Student loans are as excessive as any med. school program, which chiropractic universities justify by boasting "We're doctors, too''. As aforementioned above, these universities are in financial trouble. Chiropractors are either paid very poorly as associates (term for a chiropractor who is employed within a chiropractic clinic which they do not own), or open their own clinic which usually demands that the business proprioter hire consultants to learn marketing techniques to coerce patients into lifetime care. They often times relate stories about having to sell services at malls, or job fairs and ultimately inform everyone that visits their booth that they possess a bony asymmetry that does require chiropractic adjustment.
2. The current chiropractic mission statement is anti-allopathic medicine. The philosophy is rooted in 'the subluxation theory', seeing patients for what physical therapists and osteopaths call spinal manipulation - only they do refer to this as 'life-saving adjustments' that 'release your innate power' due to reversing vertebral facet malalignments (or whatever they are manipulating) to reduce 'subluxations..the silent killer'. They currently argue that medical physicians are only adept at prescribing medicine and performing surgery. Treating the symptoms of, but not curing the cause of, pain and somatovisceral disease. They even claim to cure cancer, diabetes, etc...
3. They attempt to hard sell pre-paid plans to patients for thousands of dollars up front using rehearsed scripts that usually include such ridiculous statements as "How much is preventing cancer worth? If you don't get rid of subluxations, then you are tempting disease (which chiropractors write as dis-ease, intentionally hyphenated to convey the discomfort of having subluxations) and reducing your quality of life''.
I could go on. But I'm tired. I do know of some chiropractors who are not like the description above, and limit themselves to musculoskeletal conditions. But they are generally not making money. I can tell you, these providers do NOT make more money than physical therapists. You have to possess a high volume clinic to do this, which basically equates to selling your morals unless you allow yourself to believe in witchcraft. These chiropractors do not attempt to sell lifetime/wellness packages and thus must obtain new patients on a regular basis to pay back their colossal student loans and have some left over to try to make a living.
Once again, if you doubt this, conduct your due diligence. Research the field as I have done. I chose the DPT, and I am sharing with you the reasons.

NUHS is noted to be the top chiropractic college due to it's evidence based curriculum. On paper every school looks the same, it has to because of the governmental accrediting agency but the qualiaty of the education varies from school to school. NUHS is the only Chiropractic school that requires a bachelor's degree prior to admission. I suggest you visit the schools you are interested in attending and make an informed decision for yourself. Sure most of the D.C.'s on the facualty got their degrees from NUHS...that is a good thing. How would you feel it you looked at the faculty list from Harvard and most of the MD's went to Harvard...not bad inbreeding there. I am just trying to give some requested advice here not start an arguement over chiropractic.

Humor me on this.
1. Why is there NO public tax dollars funded chiro school? What happened to FSU? Palmer College lobbied to block FSU so they can build their own private college in FL. Thats messed up within the profession.

2. Why do chiro fight within the profession, ACA vs ICA? These two organization can not even agree on the definition of the word "subluxation"

3. A legit college will offer PhD combined with a professional doctorate degree like MD/PhD, DO/PhD, DDS/PhD, PharmD/PhD or DVM/PhD. Show me a college that offer combined DC/PhD. All i see is combined BS/DC degree, has to do something with state boards recently requiring BS and DC degrees.

4. Chiro school are hungry for students that they offer fast pre-req tracks so students can start chiro school sooner. Some schools are recruiting students fresh from high school.

5. How many DC on hospital staff? 1-3 to none at most hospitals if any.

6. How easy is it to get in? All you need is the min requirement. I dont know if anyone ever got rejected from chiro school. No interview- WTF? If it is easy to get in; life will be rough after graduation.

7. Admission test is not required. What no MCAT, DAT, PCAT, OAT or GRE?
Damn, I am starting to think my pet monkey can earn a DC degree.

8. Whats the deal with antidrugs and anti surgery? Half of us would be dead with out drugs or surgery. What would a DC do if he catches TB?

9. Some country it is illegal to practice chiro.

10. DD Palmer, the father of chiropractic, claimed that chiro was borned when he adjusted a black deaf man. After one adjustment he was no longer deaf. Wow! no need to learn sign language.

11. DC have the highest default rate on student loans. When you get out you will have more than $100k in debts. Your starting salary will not justified your student loans. Pick a profession with a starting salary near your total loans.

12. Most DC are self employed. Rarely do DC work in hospitals, military or VA. It is competitive to land a job there. The starting associate salary is 30-50k in base and bonus. Comparable to a BS degree. The highest educated degree with the lowest pay.

13. Chiro takes a physical toll on your body.

14. Too many DC out there. Its like starbucks on everyblock.

15. More and more DC are leaving the profession.

Make an informed decision. I am not bashing chiro i am providing facts.

Humor me on this.
1. Why is there NO public tax dollars funded chiro school? What happened to FSU? Palmer College lobbied to block FSU so they can build their own private college in FL. Thats messed up within the profession.

2. Why do chiro fight within the profession, ACA vs ICA? These two organization can not even agree on the definition of the word "subluxation"

3. A legit college will offer PhD combined with a professional doctorate degree like MD/PhD, DO/PhD, DDS/PhD, PharmD/PhD or DVM/PhD. Show me a college that offer combined DC/PhD. All i see is combined BS/DC degree, has to do something with state boards recently requiring BS and DC degrees.

4. Chiro school are hungry for students that they offer fast pre-req tracks so students can start chiro school sooner. Some schools are recruiting students fresh from high school.

5. How many DC on hospital staff? 1-3 to none at most hospitals if any.

6. How easy is it to get in? All you need is the min requirement. I dont know if anyone ever got rejected from chiro school. No interview- WTF? If it is easy to get in; life will be rough after graduation.

7. Admission test is not required. What no MCAT, DAT, PCAT, OAT or GRE?
Damn, I am starting to think my pet monkey can earn a DC degree.

8. Whats the deal with antidrugs and anti surgery? Half of us would be dead with out drugs or surgery. What would a DC do if he catches TB?

9. Some country it is illegal to practice chiro.

10. DD Palmer, the father of chiropractic, claimed that chiro was borned when he adjusted a black deaf man. After one adjustment he was no longer deaf. Wow! no need to learn sign language.

11. DC have the highest default rate on student loans. When you get out you will have more than $100k in debts. Your starting salary will not justified your student loans. Pick a profession with a starting salary near your total loans.

12. Most DC are self employed. Rarely do DC work in hospitals, military or VA. It is competitive to land a job there. The starting associate salary is 30-50k in base and bonus. Comparable to a BS degree. The highest educated degree with the lowest pay.

13. Chiro takes a physical toll on your body.

14. Too many DC out there. Its like starbucks on everyblock.

15. More and more DC are leaving the profession.

Make an informed decision. I am not bashing chiro i am providing facts.

A little strong, but I can't disagree.