May 2014 MCATers United

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All 2014 MCATers, please unite!

Regardless of when in May you are planning to take the MCAT, let's all join this thread to keep each other informed about our progress, motivate each other, share FL scores, and to answer each other's questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
May 31st Test Day!
Seems like most of you are taking it in May 31st... am I the only registered for the 8th?

To be honest I have to see how it goes, I might post pone to 31st too :(

My goal is to finish content review by the end of February.

Hows studying going?

Seems like most of you are taking it in May 31st... am I the only registered for the 8th?

Hows studying going?

The studying is interesting lol Let me give you a little background about my journey

I haven't had any science, chem, or physics in 3 years ( graduate 2011) so I will definitly need some help and motivation. My boyfriend as a PhD in chemisty (teaches organic chem and physics) and he will tutor me on anything i need help with. I started studying Sunday, did verbal reading which I did fairly good about 10 passages, yesterday I did Physics..........I did ok I guess. I read the content review and did the 10 passages (TBR book). I am glad Im not loss like I thought I would be.

I will be using TBR, EK 1001, EK101, several kaplan books, TRR Hyperlearning, have 10R test, and over 10 kaplan practice test. My boyfriend created me a schedule simlar to Sn2ed schedule.
Any advice??????

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How is your studying going? :D have you started yet?
hahahaha well i started it, but i just found out about the SN2ED thingie and I am going to try that. Waiting for my books. But does anyone else find that it is rather difficult to study by yourself?

How about yourself?

Last edited:
The studying is interesting lol Let me give you a little background about my journey

I haven't had any science, chem, or physics in 3 years ( graduate 2011) so I will definitly need some help and motivation. My boyfriend as a PhD in chemisty (teaches organic chem and physics) and he will tutor me on anything i need help with. I started studying Sunday, did verbal reading which I did fairly good about 10 passages, yesterday I did Physics..........I did ok I guess. I read the content review and did the 10 passages (TBR book). I am glad Im not loss like I thought I would be.

I will be using TBR, EK 1001, EK101, several kaplan books, TRR Hyperlearning, have 10R test, and over 10 kaplan practice test. My boyfriend created me a schedule simlar to Sn2ed schedule.
Any advice??????

Please consider yourself very luck! My girlfriend studies something totally different from what I study and by no means she can help me out (or vice versa) lol

My personal suggestion is to follow sN2Ed but tailor it to your own needs. The most important part of the schedule is using The Berkeley Review and specially doing their passages. I would personally stay away from Kaplan books And EK and instead focus on TBR. For Biology, sure TPR, EK is just too condense in my opinion.

keep a log of all of your mistakes!

hahahaha well i started it, but i just found out about the SN2ED thingie and I am going to try that. Waiting for my books. But does anyone else find that it is rather difficult to study by yourself?

How about yourself?

I started studying a few days ago, I'm using SN2 but a very modified version. For instance, I'm just studying orgo right now (since I hate it the most!), just finished chapter 4 today. I will spend the next 2 days reviewing chapters 1-4 + their passages, and then move on to Chapter 5. Once I finish all 8 chapters in orgo, I will start Physics and GChem.

I think I am a bit behind compared to everyone else here. My goal is to take it on the 8th... will hopefully finish all content review by the end of February, and then 2 months of practice..

Are you going the 4 months or 3 months?

neither, mine is very modified... the only point of common between my plan and SN2ed is using TBR books! I'm planning to write it on May 8th so that gives me less than 4 months anyways... but I feel behind, might have to postpone to 31st if things go wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning to take it May 8th in Houston! Any fellow Texan test takers ?

I'm following the SN2ed schedule faithfully since I've never been the most efficient at studying.

I must say that the SN2ed schedule is extremely challenging for me to complete. It takes me 2 days to finish one chapter. I do not have to worry about school or work at the moment so it is entirely unacceptable.

The problem is I feel overwhelmed and burnt out because it would take me about 8 hours to do everything and then I have breaks to help me cope. I am practicing on focusing on the present moment rather than thinking about everything I have to do, or how much time I have left until I take a break. That way the focus is on the work I get done that day and not the amount of time it takes.

Following the SN2ed schedule is good stamina build up. I am not going to make the SN2ed method easier just because it's challenging. I am not going to speed up my post-game analysis just to get through the material. I do not want to "go through the motions" for this exam and end up tanking my score. So if it is going to take me more time to study and possibly result in a later "complete" date on my application, so be it.

I finished Bio Ch. 1, and I will finish Physics Ch.1 today.

Good luck everyone. I am amazed that I am finally preparing for the MCAT. I'm very excited that the worst of the pre-reqs are behind me.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,how much time do you allocate for completing a passage in EK101 VR?Ar fist I gave myself 6min but was scoring terrible,now I bumped it up to 8-9min for each passages and doing pretty well!

I am planning to take it May 8th in Houston! Any fellow Texan test takers ?

I'm following the SN2ed schedule faithfully since I've never been the most efficient at studying.

I must say that the SN2ed schedule is extremely challenging for me to complete. It takes me 2 days to finish one chapter. I do not have to worry about school or work at the moment so it is entirely unacceptable.

The problem is I feel overwhelmed and burnt out because it would take me about 8 hours to do everything and then I have breaks to help me cope. I am practicing on focusing on the present moment rather than thinking about everything I have to do, or how much time I have left until I take a break. That way the focus is on the work I get done that day and not the amount of time it takes.

Following the SN2ed schedule is good stamina build up. I am not going to make the SN2ed method easier just because it's challenging. I am not going to speed up my post-game analysis just to get through the material. I do not want to "go through the motions" for this exam and end up tanking my score. So if it is going to take me more time to study and possibly result in a later "complete" date on my application, so be it.

I finished Bio Ch. 1, and I will finish Physics Ch.1 today.

Good luck everyone. I am amazed that I am finally preparing for the MCAT. I'm very excited that the worst of the pre-reqs are behind me.

I live in Central Texas!!!!!!

Hows studying going?

Also taking it on the 8th but thinking of pushing it back too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also taking it on the 8th but thinking of pushing it back too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm registered for May8th but might have to push it back! I agree with @victoriah "So if it is going to take me more time to study and possibly result in a later "complete" date on my application, so be it."

I'm also using SN2ed (but modified it) and I'm too falling behind....

We will get there guyss!!

May 8th here! Just now getting into EK physics and have Chad's videos. Currently taking Orgo II, volunteering at my hospital, and doing research.

Let's do this thing!!!!!

May 8th here! Just now getting into EK physics and have Chad's videos. Currently taking Orgo II, volunteering at my hospital, and doing research.

Let's do this thing!!!!!

nice to hear from you!

Are you doing one-subject / time?

I expect to be done with content review by the end of February , taking the real day on the 8th!

nice to hear from you!

I expect to be done with content review by the end of February , taking the real day on the 8th!
same! may 8 here too....well i havent regirestered for it yet but I will okce i find a spot, in which I will since most ppl chicken out and postpone their test haha, Im trying to finish content by end of feb too

May 17 here! Just ordered my books. I bought the complete set of EK review books and the set of EK1001 books. I believe 3 months will be enough for me. Hopefully I'm right. For some reason I'm not too worried about VR. I took a practice test through Kaplan last semester and I did pretty well on VR. We'll see when I start doing more passages.

May 17 here! Just ordered my books. I bought the complete set of EK review books and the set of EK1001 books. I believe 3 months will be enough for me. Hopefully I'm right. For some reason I'm not too worried about VR. I took a practice test through Kaplan last semester and I did pretty well on VR. We'll see when I start doing more passages.

Hello there!

It's nice to not have to worry about verbal ! Verbal is definitely my weakest section, hardly can get an 8 on my practice tests.

Best of luck to you, keep us posted!!

How are the rest of you guys doing? It has been pretty slow for me, haven't got anything done over the past 3 days, but will not let that continue!

Hopefully I will start Orgo Chapter 5 tomorrow, finish Orgo by end of January, then focus on the rest of the science sections the entire month of February and finish content review by the end of Feb !

nice to hear from you!

I'm gonna do one subject at a time. I want to be done with content review by the end of Feb but end of March is more likely. I'm a non-trad with not a strong foundation in Biology so I will likely need more time.

My studying is ok. I only skip one day this week so I think that's good for a person haven't studied in 3 years lol got a little confused on Gen Chem but im on track now.

I suggest MCAT Nova and TPR for physics. Im getting my hands on as many physics and gchem problems as I can.
I am using TPR for gchem.

I suggest MCAT Nova and TPR for physics. Im getting my hands on as many physics and gchem problems as I can.
I am using TPR for gchem.

I've been focusing on Orgo up to this point! I can hopefully finish it in the next 7-10 days (just content, no passages/questions) and then start GChem and Physics and Bio with you guys!

For those of you doing SN2ed plan with EK bio and BR Bio for passages.. Chapter 1 of EK bio corresponds with about 35 passages in the BR Bio book.. Taking 1/3 of that is around 12 passages per 1/3.. Is this correct? All of the other subjects have only around 13 passages total for the chapter.. Making it around 4 passages per 1/3.. Am I doing this correctly? Thanks!

Also can anyone clarify how to use the ek1001 for the corresponding chapters? I read that it was 1/3 of the problems but couldn't find anywhere that said to finish the second and last 1/3 of the Ek1001 problems for that same chapter. Do I just add it on to the "complete all of second 1/3"?

Last edited:
May 31st here as well!

Basically just started content review this past week. We get a free Kaplan course at the SMP I'm at so I'm going through that and using TBR for Orgo and Gen chem, then TPR hyperlearning for verbal. I used EK the last time around and wasn't too happy with it so I think I'll stay away from them, especially their verbal.

May 31st here as well!

Basically just started content review this past week. We get a free Kaplan course at the SMP I'm at so I'm going through that and using TBR for Orgo and Gen chem, then TPR hyperlearning for verbal. I used EK the last time around and wasn't too happy with it so I think I'll stay away from them, especially their verbal.

Nice, we got so many 31st takers here...

Are you taking any classes or doing anything else besides MCAT?

Nice, we got so many 31st takers here...

Are you taking any classes or doing anything else besides MCAT?

Heh still in an SMP, so I have full time classes+EMT certification and free clinic volunteering...Gonna be a fun semester:dead:. Is this your first time taking it?

Heh still in an SMP, so I have full time classes+EMT certification and free clinic volunteering...Gonna be a fun semester:dead:. Is this your first time taking it?

Yeah, my first time ever. I'm years out from the sciences, really can't remember much, and I'm struggling with VR the most.

I will be taking it on the 8th but I'm only taking one course and ~25 hours of volunteering/research

Yeah, my first time ever. I'm years out from the sciences, really can't remember much, and I'm struggling with VR the most.

I will be taking it on the 8th but I'm only taking one course and ~25 hours of volunteering/research

Do you have the Hyperlearning verbal book? I found a pdf of it online and so far it is miles ahead of EK. My VR score was way lower on the real thing than what I had been averaging with EK so I'd recommend not focusing on EK too much.

How do you study for yours?

Do you have the Hyperlearning verbal book? I found a pdf of it online and so far it is miles ahead of EK. My VR score was way lower on the real thing than what I had been averaging with EK so I'd recommend not focusing on EK too much.

concur, the real thing isnt fun. but the hyper-learning one is pretty solid.

I haven't touched the hyperlearning yet, I'm using EK and Kaplan so far. I'm getting 7s in EK101 and 8-9s in Kaplan. If you were scoring lower than what you were averaging with EK, I'm doomed !!

How do you study for yours?

concur, the real thing isnt fun. but the hyper-learning one is pretty solid.

Self Study! I will be using TBR for Gchem/Orgo/Physics and TPR for Bio ... so far I'm only studying orgo (since I hate it the most!) half-way through the TBR Orgo...

Self Study! I will be using TBR for Gchem/Orgo/Physics and TPR for Bio ... so far I'm only studying orgo (since I hate it the most!) half-way through the TBR Orgo...
Youre not following any schedule? I do like TBR quite bit. I hated the kaplan lol