Max IV Fluid Rate in a healthy person/animal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVM4K9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi CC docs -

I am new to this forum and I have a question. What is the max IV fluid rate (ml/kg/hr) that a healthy person (or dog) can take without running the risk of causing pulmonary edema - assuming I am infusing a crystalloid.
Thanks!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

A lot...

The gas guys may be better to ask this, I don't have the opportunity to run large volumes in otherwise medically healthy adults. Anesthisia always seems to find a way to so what my nurses say is impossible given the volume/time they tend to give at my hospital.........

A lot...

The gas guys may be better to ask this, I don't have the opportunity to run large volumes in otherwise medically healthy adults. Anesthisia always seems to find a way to so what my nurses say is impossible given the volume/time they tend to give at my hospital.........

I'm not really sure what this means, but if you're referring to our max rate of infusion being above the "999 ml/hr max" that the infusion pump and nursing committees says it is, we can and do go way above that for any number of reasons, and can do so because such infusion is either being physican-performed or physician-directed.

Note, patients undergoing anesthesia and surgery aren't "otherwise medically healthy adults." If we had such patients, we wouldn't give big volumes either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really sure what this means, but if you're referring to our max rate of infusion being above the "999 ml/hr max" that the infusion pump and nursing committees says it is, we can and do go way above that for any number of reasons, and can do so because such infusion is either being physican-performed or physician-directed.

Note, patients undergoing anesthesia and surgery aren't "otherwise medically healthy adults." If we had such patients, we wouldn't give big volumes either.

I would consider otherwise healthy adults under going simple ortho procedures otherwise medically healthy. I say that in jest partially because I have seen a few isolated instances where Anesthisia has given large volumes during short cases without an apparent need. 2.5 L for a pacemaker insertion, 2-3 liters in an hour on PTs I get called to see in the out pt surgery center section of our hospital who have no documented significant blood loss or hypotension. I know that this is likely only 1-2 or docs who do that stuff routinely but it does happen.

As far as the 999, I find it funny that even in my ICU, my nurses are squeamish about giving fluid faster than that, it takes an act of god to have them pressure bag fluid in.

Status
Not open for further replies.