Matching into competitive residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FamousLinen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your Step 1 score is obviously fantastic and puts you well within the range of the top programs. Getting good clinical grades is another given.

I'm assuming that if you go to a decent NE program then your school may have a history of sending residents to other NE schools; that's another plus in your favor. On that level, I'd say securing good letters is your next big thing. Great letters from well-known people in the field and/or someone positively known to PD's is golden.

Your research efforts are probably a little below average for a top top candidate but oh well. That might put you at a disadvantage for an MGH but it won't be a deal breaker for a lot of programs.

1. Get a Step 2 score >250
  2. Get great, not just good, clinical grades, putting you in top third of class
  3. Demonstrate an edge/passion, including but not limited to research

Members don't see this ad :)
Would recommend a year of research between 3rd and 4th year. Look into MRSP program at the NIH

Would recommend a year of research between 3rd and 4th year. Look into MRSP program at the NIH
I'm at a top 20 now, not necessary to do a research year. That being said, most of us have >260 step 1.

Reactions: 1 user
I matched to a top 20 in one of the cities he’s talking about, and while it’s not necessary it would certainly help, if OP is willing to take a year off, esp considering how narrow his preferences are.

The step score will get you an interview, but that's about it.

Once you get the interview, it'll be about (1) fit (i.e, are you a chill person?) and (2) how you can make the program stand out (future research pubs, leading the local/regional radiology association as an attending and being known as the person who did residency at X program, etc). Look through the AMA that's pinned on this sub-forum about what PDs may look for in an interview.

I had a similar step score to you, and interviewed at many of the top 20 programs. I didn't match at those programs, likely due to me not having a good enough answer to (2).

Penn/Cornell/NYU/MGH/BW get tons of applicants. You'll need to sell yourself to them, regardless of your step score.

Last edited:
3. Demonstrate an edge/passion, including but not limited to research
(2) how you can make the program stand out (future research pubs, leading the local/regional radiology association as an attending and being known as the person who did residency at X program, etc).

These are underrated points when it comes to matching into top radiology programs.

OP, top programs are more than just research powerhouses and they want residents who will advance other areas connected to radiology (global health, medical education, health disparities, organized medicine, business etc). Most applicants interviewing at top northeast programs have the grades, step scores, and likely research. If you can demonstrate passion in one of the above niche areas, you will likely become a more desirable candidate.

This past cycle, almost all of my interviewers showed interest in my work with an underserved community around my medical school, and if/how I planned to incorporate my work during residency and beyond. (I even had an LoR from my supervising mentor). I ended up matching into a "top 20" program in one of the cities you mentioned.

These are underrated points when it comes to matching into top radiology programs.

OP, top programs are more than just research powerhouses and they want residents who will advance other areas connected to radiology (global health, medical education, health disparities, organized medicine, business etc). Most applicants interviewing at top northeast programs have the grades, step scores, and likely research. If you can demonstrate passion in one of the above niche areas, you will likely become a more desirable candidate.

This past cycle, almost all of my interviewers showed interest in my work with an underserved community around my medical school, and if/how I planned to incorporate my work during residency and beyond. (I even had an LoR from my supervising mentor). I ended up matching into a "top 20" program in one of the cities you mentioned.
I agree with what you said about these things being the difference at the top, from what I've heard. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.