Chances of Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bushido1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some advice and thoughts on my chances for DR.

For context, I am a 4th-year medical student (USMD) who just started my research year a month ago. I am currently a student at a T10 medical school and we took Step 1 P/F after clerkships.

Unfortunately, I think this backfired for me, on all of my practice exams for step 1 I was consistently getting average-> above average and ended up passing comfortably (or so I thought, hard to tell when it is P/F). Fast forward to a month ago, I got my step 2 score back and I was shell-shocked to see I got a 220, 20 points lower than my lowest practice test. I can go on about how I have horrible test anxiety and I was not in a good place when I sat the exam, but it is what it is and I need to figure out what I need to do now.

I met with my advisor after I got my score back and I was relieved/concerned that he really did not seem worried at all, he said that I would really just need to apply to more programs (80+) and that I would still match as my school has never had anyone not match DR, even with scores near my level.

For more context, I did my DR elective at my home institution and got honors with great comments, and two excellent letters of recommendation. From my elective, I published two radiology case reports and am planning on getting at least 2-3 more this year. I also did an IM sub-I in the ICU and got honors as well, with my collective comments adding up to over 700 words of excellent evaluations (I only bring this up because my advisor thought that doing so well on my Sub-I and elective would be super helpful). My advisor also said no one is sure how PD will deal with Step 2 now that Step 1 is P/F, as when I apply will be the first year this happens extensively. He said PDs will likely look at it more closely but that there is no data yet.

Essentially, my advisor says I don't need to worry and will need to apply broadly, while the pessimist in me says I should apply broadly and also dual apply. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome. I plan on doing an away at a mid-tier program nearby in the spring to help boost my chances of an interview there.

Thank you all and wishing you the best.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
This is the downside of the move to pass-fail. Sorry that this happened to you, but honestly it sounds like you are doing everything within your control to make sure you match. You have tons of research, specific interest in the field, good-great evals. You should attend conferences, network, and plan some always after your research year if possible. Sounds like rads is getting back to S tier competitiveness. You’re from a top 10 which is huge. I feel for you. With a representative Step 2 you’d probably be in the mix at the top programs but maybe you have to be less selective.

Being from a top 10 school is huge. However, I would apply to a back-up as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately board scores are extremely important in rads, but you have everything else going for you. I’d apply to a backup specialty you could see yourself in but I still think you have a very good shot.

The problem with a lot of DR programs is they have hard cutoffs for some things like Step scores. Unfortunately, Step 2 is now probably even more important. You might be able to garner interviews you otherwise wouldn't by doing away rotations at programs that you think you would fit in AND that aren't a reach.

The problem with a lot of DR programs is they have hard cutoffs for some things like Step scores. Unfortunately, Step 2 is now probably even more important. You might be able to garner interviews you otherwise wouldn't by doing away rotations at programs that you think you would fit in AND that aren't a reach.
Thanks for your reply! My advisor said this as well, he says I obviously shouldn't hold out any hopes of matching at a top-tier program but I can realistically match at a mid-low tier if I apply smartly and dual apply. Thoughts?

Unfortunately board scores are extremely important in rads, but you have everything else going for you. I’d apply to a backup specialty you could see yourself in but I still think you have a very good shot.
That was my plan, was originally thinking psych but trying to make my application fit psych/DR as too difficult and I can honestly just see myself doing IM if DR doesn't work out (or even FM)

This is the downside of the move to pass-fail. Sorry that this happened to you, but honestly it sounds like you are doing everything within your control to make sure you match. You have tons of research, specific interest in the field, good-great evals. You should attend conferences, network, and plan some always after your research year if possible. Sounds like rads is getting back to S tier competitiveness. You’re from a top 10 which is huge. I feel for you. With a representative Step 2 you’d probably be in the mix at the top programs but maybe you have to be less selective.
Thank you so much, this really means a lot. I'm just trying to stay realistic and hope that my application isn't dead before it even hits their inbox.

I think you best bet is maximize your research year by networking with faculty in your department and having a mentor bat for you come interview session. Use the resources and connections of a top 10 school to your advantage. I wouldn't be too worried much about not matching but places like MGH and UCSF are going to be hard to swing without someone sending an email on your behalf. The advantage you really have here is that you have or will have field specific research and a tighter relationship with faculty. Considering a lot of people switch into rads last minute with no relevant research or long-term dedicated interest, you'll have a huge leg up in this regard which is likely going to be more important in P/F Step 1 world. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

Looking for some advice and thoughts on my chances for DR.

For context, I am a 4th-year medical student (USMD) who just started my research year a month ago. I am currently a student at a T10 medical school and we took Step 1 P/F after clerkships.

Unfortunately, I think this backfired for me, on all of my practice exams for step 1 I was consistently getting average-> above average and ended up passing comfortably (or so I thought, hard to tell when it is P/F). Fast forward to a month ago, I got my step 2 score back and I was shell-shocked to see I got a 220, 20 points lower than my lowest practice test. I can go on about how I have horrible test anxiety and I was not in a good place when I sat the exam, but it is what it is and I need to figure out what I need to do now.

I met with my advisor after I got my score back and I was relieved/concerned that he really did not seem worried at all, he said that I would really just need to apply to more programs (80+) and that I would still match as my school has never had anyone not match DR, even with scores near my level.

For more context, I did my DR elective at my home institution and got honors with great comments, and two excellent letters of recommendation. From my elective, I published two radiology case reports and am planning on getting at least 2-3 more this year. I also did an IM sub-I in the ICU and got honors as well, with my collective comments adding up to over 700 words of excellent evaluations (I only bring this up because my advisor thought that doing so well on my Sub-I and elective would be super helpful). My advisor also said no one is sure how PD will deal with Step 2 now that Step 1 is P/F, as when I apply will be the first year this happens extensively. He said PDs will likely look at it more closely but that there is no data yet.

Essentially, my advisor says I don't need to worry and will need to apply broadly, while the pessimist in me says I should apply broadly and also dual apply. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome. I plan on doing an away at a mid-tier program nearby in the spring to help boost my chances of an interview there.

Thank you all and wishing you the best.

Coming from a T10 school is huge, especially If your school has a top rads residency. Getting to know the faculty and PD at your home program would be your best bet at matching at a top program.