Other Matching after multiple attempts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FailureIMG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PS: Sorry moderators, I'm new here and wrongly posted this Q in the medical student forum. I need advice from residents/PDs, not medical students.

I'm a US citizen IMG (Caribbean graduate). My Step 1 score is 221 (4th attempt), Step 2 CK score is 227 (3rd attempt), and I passed my CS on my first attempt. I wonder if I can match anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you know that many states have a limit on the number of times you can attempt Step exams, and still get a license? With 7 attempts before even attempting Step 3 I know several states are closed to you. That, and the fact that you needed so many attempts to pass in the first place, makes you a very, very unattractive candidate. It is unlikely that you will match anywhere. I'm sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, my total attempts are 5, not 7. The passing attempt is not considered an attempt.

Would I make a better applicant if I passed the Step 3 (on first attempt, of course)? I scored a 240+ on a Step 3 NBME already; I'm guessing I'll score in my 230s on the Step 3. I think I'll take the exam.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Did you know that many states have a limit on the number of times you can attempt Step exams, and still get a license? With 7 attempts before even attempting Step 3 I know several states are closed to you. That, and the fact that you needed so many attempts to pass in the first place, makes you a very, very unattractive candidate. It is unlikely that you will match anywhere. I'm sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I was told by a Program Director is that some programs (University Programs) have their accreditation directly related to the residents' ability to pass their residency exams. If they have a resident that cannot pass they put the entire hospital at risk of losing said accreditation, so a University program is unlikely to take a chance on you even if you pass Step 3 because of the risk involved. So try community programs over university programs and check their websites for any limits for failures, because many have them listed on their program requirements pages.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've already applied for MATCH and will keep you updated.

I would be really surprised if you matched. I don't think those failures + IMG status can be overcome. I'll be rooting for you, but I strongly advise you to be realistic and have a backup plan

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, my total attempts are 5, not 7. The passing attempt is not considered an attempt.

Would I make a better applicant if I passed the Step 3 (on first attempt, of course)? I scored a 240+ on a Step 3 NBME already; I'm guessing I'll score in my 230s on the Step 3. I think I'll take the exam.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Take the exam and pass. Then find out which states you are still eligible to get a license in from this website:

http://www.fsmb.org/policy/public-resources/state_specific

Your passing attempt still counts as an attempt, so unfortunately there are some states that you will never be able to attain licensure in.

From a quick look based solely on USMLE attempts, you can still potentially get a license in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, HI, KS, KT, LS, ME, MD, MA, MI, MS, NE, NV, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, and WI. That still leaves 62% of US states eligible provided you pass step 3.

Keep in mind that many states have a time limit during which you must complete all steps. It's usually within 7 or 10 years of the first attempt.

It will absolutely be a tough road ahead. Matching will be very difficult. I wish you the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.