Other What are my chances for matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgraduate

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Doctors . My situation is complicated but I hope you guys can help me out . I am non American Carribean Medical graduate. Did all my clinical rotations in the USA when I was a medical student
YOG: 2014
All my steps were on 1 attempt
Step1: 226 step 2ck :223. Step 3: I blew it . I wrote in 2015 when the passing score was 190. I barely passed with 195 . I wish I can rewrite it
After 4 attempts of residency applications in the USA without success, I returned to my home country Canada to work as a Medical Assistant in a Family Practice . I do have a strong burning desire to still pursue my dreams as a family doctor and don’t see myself doing anything else . I don’t feel fulfilled working as an assistant and I am considering applying again this year but I am afraid to face the same problems I did previously. Please what are your thoughts. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dear medgraduate, I would say never give up. Your scores are decent and if you have contacts you will match and work hard. I have friends who matched this year after trying for 5 years. So I know there is hope. I know a group of people joined Usmle Sarthi and they guided them to match. I don’t know if that would help. But don’t give up.

Reactions: 1 user
Dear medgraduate, I would say never give up. Your scores are decent and if you have contacts you will match and work hard. I have friends who matched this year after trying for 5 years. So I know there is hope. I know a group of people joined Usmle Sarthi and they guided them to match. I don’t know if that would help. But don’t give up.
Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe skip the Match and focus on SOAP, scramble and new programs coming online next year. What specialties did you apply for previously and how many?

Maybe skip the Match and focus on SOAP, scramble and new programs coming online next year. What specialties did you apply for previously and how
Maybe skip the Match and focus on SOAP, scramble and new programs coming online next year. What specialties did you apply for previously and how many?
I applied to FM and IM. On average about 70 programs over the years

• Hmm
IMGs that I've talked to that match applied to about 150 programs.

I had the exact same step 1 score as you, however, a better CK (237), and my YOG was 2015. I got 15+ IVs and matched to my first choice. I wanna do a project with fellow IMGs, if you are interested PM me. I wanna create a group on Telegram and share some tips I learned along the way, mostly with my wife (she's a US MD). Also, if you wanna go for it, then go for it. Applying for 70 programs is not enough, I applied to 194 just to be sure I would match!

• Wow
I had the exact same step 1 score as you, however, a better CK (237), and my YOG was 2015. I got 15+ IVs and matched to my first choice. I wanna do a project with fellow IMGs, if you are interested PM me. I wanna create a group on Telegram and share some tips I learned along the way, mostly with my wife (she's a US MD). Also, if you wanna go for it, then go for it. Applying for 70 programs is not enough, I applied to 194 just to be sure I would match!
Thanks for the input.

Hello! Would you please tell me more about the project? I am interested.

Hello Doctors . My situation is complicated but I hope you guys can help me out . I am non American Carribean Medical graduate. Did all my clinical rotations in the USA when I was a medical student
YOG: 2014
All my steps were on 1 attempt
Step1: 226 step 2ck :223. Step 3: I blew it . I wrote in 2015 when the passing score was 190. I barely passed with 195 . I wish I can rewrite it
After 4 attempts of residency applications in the USA without success, I returned to my home country Canada to work as a Medical Assistant in a Family Practice . I do have a strong burning desire to still pursue my dreams as a family doctor and don’t see myself doing anything else . I don’t feel fulfilled working as an assistant and I am considering applying again this year but I am afraid to face the same problems I did previously. Please what are your thoughts. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks

Extremely low. That YOG alone is a kiss of death. On top of that you're Caribbean and your Step scores are bad. That medical experience will not help. I say this for the sake of pragmaticism but it's time for you to find a completely different career altogether. Sure you can do NP/PA routes, but I personally would just get out of healthcare if it was me. Don't waste any more time in this. If you really have your heart set on this, you can apply on the off chance that you may get 1-2 interviews and experience the emotional roller coaster that comes with it.

EDIT: I did not see that you only applied to 70 programs. If you want, apply to a ton more, I'm talking 200 IM, 200 FM, etc. At least then you'll at least know that this time you gave it your all.

Last edited:
How about Step 3?
Are you Caribbean?
When did you match? 2019 or 2021?
Did you need a visa? You mention your wife is a US MD.

Also, and most importantly, you write that "but I am (already) a psychiatrist in Brazil and I`m moving to america"...that's a pretty big difference in clinical experience from OP who has been working as a medical assistant. Psych values life experience and stuff like that. Many programs will seek out IMGs from foreign countries who were effectively attendings. If you can get over the IMG aspect and their English/cultural adaptation (which they weren't worried about with you because of your GF), you basically get a hidden gem.

Last edited:
How about Step 3?
Are you Caribbean?
When did you match? 2019 or 2021?

No Step 3, in fact I'm studying for it right now, just wanna clear it before residency starts.
Not Caribbean, I graduated from Brazil. I matched this year, so 2021. I think what made the biggest difference in my application was my previous residency in Brazil, so I had a good amount of work experience. I think that made me an interesting candidate.

No Step 3, in fact I'm studying for it right now, just wanna clear it before residency starts.
Not Caribbean, I graduated from Brazil. I matched this year, so 2021. I think what made the biggest difference in my application was my previous residency in Brazil, so I had a good amount of work experience. I think that made me an interesting candidate.
Exactly. 3/4 of my points still apply. Edited my post to include the bolded as well. Don't get me wrong, you're an inspiration. Just don't think your situation's comparable to OPs. I really try to give people the benefit of the doubt and try to get them to stay in medicine. In this case, I don't OP has much of a shot...

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly. 3/4 of my points still apply. Edited my post to include the bolded as well. Don't get me wrong, you're an inspiration. Just don't think your situation's comparable to OPs. I really try to give people the benefit of the doubt and try to get them to stay in medicine. In this case, I don't OP has much of a shot...

I think you have a very fair point. To be honest what I mostly considered a bad strategy from the OP was applying to only 70 programs years ago. Of course with YOG 6 years that is a different game, but a few years ago he could have had a chance. I have seen people matching with 20+ YOG, so I don't dare to say it is impossible, but I always like to see how people applied. I have seen a lot of IMGs with red flags + bad strategy (like applying to a few programs, not writing a good PS, bad ERAS editing), that of course plays a huge role.

I have a good example. A friend of mine did not match. She had ok scores, however, graduation was like 2012. She had 2 IVs, and after the match the PD told her that her CV was poorly written and told her to make it better for next season. She showed me her ERAS and there was a lot of bad grammar, weak descriptions, etc. I like to see those things because they are easily changed.

PS: I spent SO MANY hours re-writing my PS and ERAS, and they were all reviewed by many Americans for example.

Reactions: 2 users