match stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gman33

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any stats out there on the GI match?
For the NRMP match, there are documents like "Charting Outcomes".

Just wondering if there was anything like that for GI.

I always here how competitive the match is, and that it's getting more so each year. I don't know if that means 50% match, 10% match, most don't even bother trying, etc.

Any insight would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hijack this thread: I'm currently a DO medical student and was thinking about GI. If I can get into a decent university allopathic IM program, how much of a disadvantage would I be when applying to GI fellowships? Any of you MD's run into DO's on the interview trail? I'd appreciate any input.

A lot of programs will not take DOs at all. But some of them will, I have run into a lot of DOs around. You will still be above the people at the bottom of the pile - the IMGs because you are still an AMG. IMGs have to have a resume that is in general twice as better as an AMG to even be considered for an interview- and even that is only some times granted

A lot of programs will not take DOs at all. But some of them will, I have run into a lot of DOs around. You will still be above the people at the bottom of the pile - the IMGs because you are still an AMG. IMGs have to have a resume that is in general twice as better as an AMG to even be considered for an interview- and even that is only some times granted

Actually, if you browse the NRMP match stats ( a couple of posts above) you ll see that DO's match at lower rate than IMG's

Actually, if you browse the NRMP match stats ( a couple of posts above) you ll see that DO's match at lower rate than IMG's

I think what you see is that fewer DO's match than IMG's. To calculate a rate, however, you need a denominator (and I've never seen that information).