match rules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anaismd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have any idea how i can let a program know that they are my VERY VERY first choice and i have my heart set on going there without violating the nrmp rules?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that a candidate is free to say whatever they want, but, the Programs cannot ask the candidates specifically where they will rank the program and likewise the candidate should not directly ask the program the same question. However, you are free to volunteer this info. I would note though that one should take any promise to rank very high on the part of the PD with a grain of salt as many people have reported receiving promises subsequently only ranking the one program and then not matching anywhere. The best bet is to make it clear that you feel that program is the one you want to be at, but don't overdo it, and of course, rank any program you would like to attend just in case you don't get your first choice. Another note, be careful not to rank a "safety" program you don't want to be at because you may end up matching there and the contract with NRMP is a one year binding contract.
JB

Originally posted by anaismd
anyone have any idea how i can let a program know that they are my VERY VERY first choice and i have my heart set on going there without violating the nrmp rules?:confused:

You may contact the program director by e-mail or letter and state your interest. I did this for my number choice.

Thanks guys for your replies.

I don't mean to be dense, but its like this:

I haven't even been invited to interview there yet. SHould I email the program director and just tell them I am very interested in their program now, or should I wait until I get an interview.

Also, when I email to say I'm interested, will they "get" that they are my number 1 choice or should I be more specific about why I want to go there?

Thanks so much!;)

Originally posted by anaismd
Thanks guys for your replies.

I don't mean to be dense, but its like this:

I haven't even been invited to interview there yet. SHould I email the program director and just tell them I am very interested in their program now, or should I wait until I get an interview.

Also, when I email to say I'm interested, will they "get" that they are my number 1 choice or should I be more specific about why I want to go there?

Thanks so much!;)

First, do not contact the programs until they call you. Just be patient and wait.

Second, when expressing interest in the number one choice, be specific and say that.

anaismd,

I was in a situation where I was geographically restricted for personal reasons. So I was limited to what programs I could consider for residency. When I didn't get an overwhelming response from these programs in terms of interviews, I contacted them by email, letting them know about my situation. After that, I received a number of interviews. I think in my situation, the programs didn't know why I would be specifically interested in their program (because I wasn't from the area and didn't do any rotations at their institiution), so didn't think to give me an interview. After letting them know that their program was only one of six that I applied to, I think they felt special and obliged me with an interview. In the end, I wound up at my number 1 choice. Just thought my own experience might help you with what you're going through now.

-James

when letting your number one choice know that theirs is the program you wantto be at, any chance you'll get screwed and that other programs you applied to will find out that they are not your first choice?

don't i sound paranoid?

It is not paranoid. Program Directors within the same state often know each other very well. I went to an interview recently and a fellow interviewee told two program directors that each one was her number 1 choice and they just spoke to each other and found out what she said. She only knew because a friend's mother worked in one of the offices. For damage control (since they did not know she knew) she told the most recent interviewer that her experience was so great that it supplanted her previous number one pick (which she hoped would do the trick).

Lesson: never bad-talk a "rival" program and indicate your great desire to be somewhere without stating... "I will rank you #1"