MATCH results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Diane L. Evans

It looks like 51/252 allopathic OB/Gyn programs went unfilled.
Suprises included John Hopkins only 7/9 spots filled and LSU.

Match time is 1pm EST today 3/20/3 if you wish post your results so others have an idea of where our viewers are going.

Good luck
:) Diane

Members don't see this ad.

hope everyone matched and got a nice, high pick off the rank list!

seems like ob/gyn was fairly wide open, based on the unfilled spots...i imagine that is good news for y'all, and i consider it a plus as i am an img thinking of persuing ob/gyn.

anyhow, lets see where you went, if you aren't shy about posting and congrats on the begining of your career!

I matched at Louisiana State University-New Orleans!:clap: :clap: :laugh: :laugh: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to Pittsburgh PA for the next 4 years - matched at Allegheny General in Ob/Gyn.

Trillgirl

Albany Medical Center in Albany, NY. My 1st choice.

Stef

Some of the match results don't make sense to me. For example, UCLA didn't fill any of its spots. Is it possible for a program to decide not to sumbit a list or to list fewer than all of its advertised openings due to budget cutbacks or other reasons?

I think what can happen is if they submit the list late they can show up as unmatched, but I really don't know for certain...I would think the NRMP would be more flexible if that were the case.

U. Connecticut - my first choice!

Actually the spots at UCLA are Prelims. If you look at the program number you'll see a P in it, noting that they are prelim positions.

I logged in to see if anyone had any insight about some of these Match surprises--like Johns Hopkins...?!? How do I interpret the #2 OB-GYN program having 7/9 unfilled positions?? Is it that the program just thought no applicant was quite up to snuff? Is Baltimore really that miserable a place to live so no one applied? Is it really a clerical problem?

As far as Hopkins the reason they were unmatched is that they chose only top applicants to interview. Many of these students matched at better programs!. I assuming they did not submit a list longer than 15 for most years they are filled and usually match their top 10-11 choices.

Dear Friends,

Can anyone enlighten me to what is going on with one match out of six positions at University of Maryland? I am considering doing a 4th year elective there but this was concerning.

I'd love to know what I'm missing from the picture! On paper the program looks strong...

Thanks,

Ty

Ty-
this is no offense to Univ MD. But one of the reasons (amoung many) they went unmatched is because they will not consider DO's. I received a letter informing me that I would not be able to do an elective rotation there because the program does not accept DO's. So needless to say I never applied for the program.

There is also some flux in the department and perhaps interviewees sensed that. Also there are much better programs in the area i.e. Hopkins, GW, Georgetown, Sinai and those that interviewed at U MD may have considered those spots more appealing.

I would call the department and ask your questions. If you find out more let us know the scoop
:) Diane

Do you know any M.D. programs that are strong that accept D.O.'s?

ooh, great question, AZDOC!

I want to know, too! Especially in California. (There's only one DO program in this state.) Particularly the UC programs. The only one I know so far that is DO friendly is UCSF- Fresno.

What about the Kaiser Permanente programs?

~Kiki, soon to be MSIV in 1 more day! :clap:

My Fiance is at Rush-Presbyterian St.-Lukes in Chicago
It is a DO friendly program with a strong history and she is getting well trained. The program director is a DO and several residents in each class are DO's. Both the MD's and DO's are strong at the program from what I've seen and heard this year. Plus, being a tertiary care center leads to some "sick" Ob patients and gives them a very strong training. I've been impressed with her experience so far, although it is time consuming and fatiguing, as are all ob/gyn residencies.