**OBGYN Match 2018: Apps, Interviews, Results Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorbunny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Less than a week before apps go out, and these threads are pretty quiet. Anybody out there applying this fall for OBGYN?

Its a lazy football Sunday, so I made a document for us. Instead of the typical long obscure interview thread, we can do a Googledoc like some of the other specialities so that everyone can edit and add. Interview season will be upon us before we know it!
#toomuchtimeonmyhands #4thyear

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LaDYbP_90rDEPtH9edzHy74ziOPog9cH3srii8HEuHI/edit?usp=sharing

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I updated the current spreadsheet with the info from last year as well and did some formatting magic. Good luck everyone! We are all in this together :)

Last edited:
For Wykcoff heights in Brooklyn, how was an invite offered on 9/11 since applications hadn't even gone out to programs yet? Just wondering. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
what's the average number of programs people apply to? i'm an average candidate and did 40-50

also is are all edits to the googledoc anonymous?

Questions, the schools that have already sent out invites on 9/15, have they also downloaded your apps, if so will they see a change i made to my personal statement?

For Wykcoff heights in Brooklyn, how was an invite offered on 9/11 since applications hadn't even gone out to programs yet? Just wondering. :)
Lol....you are obviously an MD student. Wyckoff is a DO OBGYN residency program. The DO applications actually open July 15th, and while most places are super slow to send out applications, they can happen anytime after July 15th. I applied there this year.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
what's the average number of programs people apply to? i'm an average candidate and did 40-50

also is are all edits to the googledoc anonymous?

I applied to 35, now I'm nervous that is too few

You can right click on the link in chrome and choose open link incognito to make sure your identity is hidden.

You can right click on the link in chrome and choose open link incognito to make sure your identity is hidden.

My program director had said average was 30-40 but I did a few more since I also heard obgyn was getting more competitive.

My program director had said average was 30-40 but I did a few more since I also heard obgyn was getting more competitive.

Uggghh mine said 20-25 based on our class quartile, I thought I was playing it safe by adding 10 lol

Possibly the most useful thing I have seen so far, thank you. You all are making me feel like I need to seriously increase my application numbers...

Does anyone have any insight as to how programs give interviews? Eg. Do they look at all the applicants that applied on a particular date and then decide who to offer or is it alphabetical - is there even really a system as to how to approach their piles of applications?

And, do most programs only offer interviews on a few days or do they keep trickling in?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi @doctorbunny - looks like the spreadsheet got made view only somehow - are you the owner that can change this back? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)

FYI, residency coordinator here. I went to the APGO/CREOG Conference in Seattle this summer and here are some match stats from the AAMC that they shared with us:

How Step 1 scores related to the number of programs students should apply to, specific to Ob/GYN-

Step 1 greater than 230, they found no benefit to applying to more than 14 programs.

Step 1 between 212 and 229, “” 19 programs

Step 1 less than 211, “” 25 programs.

It was acknowledged that even w/this info, med schools will likely still encourage students to apply to far more than 25 programs.

Reactions: 4 users
FYI the document is view only again.. Pfanne N. Steil could you fix please? :)

FYI, residency coordinator here. I went to the APGO/CREOG Conference in Seattle this summer and here are some match stats from the AAMC that they shared with us:

How Step 1 scores related to the number of programs students should apply to, specific to Ob/GYN-

Step 1 greater than 230, they found no benefit to applying to more than 14 programs.

Step 1 between 212 and 229, “” 19 programs

Step 1 less than 211, “” 25 programs.

It was acknowledged that even w/this info, med schools will likely still encourage students to apply to far more than 25 programs.
Thanks, this is really helpful/reassuring!

For people who are receiving interviews: are you guys from the facility you got interviews from?
I have not gotten any invitations yet and I am freaking out.

For people who are receiving interviews: are you guys from the facility you got interviews from?

It depends when your home school sends out invites. Maybe some schools send out invites to their own students first but I've only heard of a couple and they were for internal med which had dozens of applicants from their own institution. Maybe ask a classmate who also applied to your obgyn program?

Does anyone have any insight as to how programs give interviews? Eg. Do they look at all the applicants that applied on a particular date and then decide who to offer or is it alphabetical - is there even really a system as to how to approach their piles of applications?

And, do most programs only offer interviews on a few days or do they keep trickling in?

Thanks!

I believe they use a filter out x amount. The more filters, the less they have to go through by themselves.

Did any programs use thalamus?

I haven't heard of thalamus yet for OBGYN... maybe we should add a column finding out how interviews are offered?

Other specialities have been having issues with thalamus! Some schools have apparently had the emails forwarded to spam or blocked by IT, so students weren't receiving the follow-up email from thalamus directly and were unable to actually schedule interview invites. And yesterday, my bf was offered an invite (different specialty!), but didn't get the thalamus email for hours... it was sitting in his SPAM. When he finally signed on, he had to book the very last date because it was the only thing left...

Hey all, my cousin is applying in OB-GYN, so helping her out.

@BamaNicole Thalamus helps schedule interviews online.

@doctorbunny , emails going to spam are more common as universities increase their security. Not sure where info is coming from, but seems like Thalamus isn’t the only thing to get blocked.

My friend’s school IT was blocking Thalamus’ emails. Thalamus was contacted and apparently >99% emails are going through.

Once Thalamus was made aware of that block, they quickly worked with that school’s IT to make sure those emails got through. This happened in a matter of hours.

An email hitting someone’s spam folder are usually caused by personal or university settings.

Your bf should probably contact Thalamus support. Couldn't hurt, they’ve been helpful.

Also, lots of my colleagues (myself included) have avoided university blocks by using personal emails.

Best of luck to everybody!

Don't freak out, it is still early. There are alot of programs that wait for the Deans letters.

Thanks!
Programs receive so many applications (we are over 800 already) that we want to look at every one of them prior to offering interviews. Most programs filter out by test scores. For some schools that are pass/fail or have a grading system that is not explained on the transcript, they'll have to wait until the MSPE is downloaded. Programs don't want to offer all of the interview spots at one time, because students still have awhile to go before the application downloading ends. I'm sure every school has a different approach to this. Just be assured that this process is one of the most important ones of the year for all programs. There are so many applicants and for a limited number of spots per year that everyone wants to get the best fit, both for the program and the resident.

This spreadsheet is the best I've ever seen on here. You are very lucky to have such an organized resource to see when programs are filling. To answer the other question that I have seen a lot, I tell our students to wait until after Oct. 1st before emailing programs. However, if you have a particular interest in a program (especially if a couple's match) and they are crossing off dates, I would email once you notice their dates filling on this sheet. PDs and Coordinators will work with other programs within their institutions to make sure these matches happen whenever possible. Patience is key to the next few weeks, but you want to advocate for yourself.

I know October 1 is cited as the date we should wait until before really freaking out about interview invites, but should I go ahead and email my school's program director?? It's getting awfully close to Oct 1...

Besides BU, does anyone know of any programs that require a Step 2 CS score to consider you for an interview? Is there any way around this?

Hello Anyone know if UNLV , Las vegas already send out IVs. Thank you

I know October 1 is cited as the date we should wait until before really freaking out about interview invites, but should I go ahead and email my school's program director?? It's getting awfully close to Oct 1...

Wait until october 1st at least. If you don't have ~10 by 10/10 (assuming you applied to avg number of programs), then there may be concerns.

Good luck to y'all who are applying this year! I wish everyone success and happiness this cycle.

Do you mean on average you should have 10 by then?

The advice I've heard is that most people should have roughly ten interviews invites by mid-october. A lot of invites are handed out during early October once the schools have had a chance to look at those MSPEs. After that the invites slow to a trickle so you would want a decent number by then. Disclaimer: this was general advice given regardless of specialty or geography.

Hi guys, for those who got the mayo clinic one way video interview, do they use that to see who they want to give an in person interview to? Or do they send the one way interview to everyone?

If we just got news that just got a publication, how and should we send an update to the programs?

What qs were asked for the mayo one way video interview?

Any advice for figuring out which programs accept a 4th letter of recommendation? I just got one uploaded from an away attending and it's a strong letter. Most program's pages say to submit 3 letters and don't seem to imply whether this is a minimum or exact #.

Hi all... looks like we are view only again, can someone fix this? Also, can someone please add back the missing NY schools (ie Stony Brook)

It's locking to view only because of the amount of users trying to view the document.

Dear program coordinators out there I have a question for you: about how many students are placed on the waitlist for a given program? I'm wondering how realistic a chance there is that I will be taken off... especially if there are about 300 people on there with me hoping the same thing! Thanks in advance.

Has anyone heard from providence providence park MSUCHM? I saw on their website that they send out Interviews from Oct 1st to Oct 14th and anything after is waitlisted... and it's already October 10th...:/

It's locking to view only because of the amount of users trying to view the document.

Dear program coordinators out there I have a question for you: about how many students are placed on the waitlist for a given program? I'm wondering how realistic a chance there is that I will be taken off... especially if there are about 300 people on there with me hoping the same thing! Thanks in advance.

it depends on the number of spots that are offered on each interview day. It would be first come, first serve. You could be contacted as close to a few days before to interview. Some applicants wait until the last minute to cancel which is wrong. If you are from the West Coast and know you are not going to an East Coast program, then cancel right away.

Also, coordinators have been getting bombarded with "interest" emails and it is getting to be too much. I had a colleague forward an email to me and I received the same exact one. The other thing which I heard that is happening is that applicants are switching dates among themselves. That is a definite NO NO. It is rude and disrespectful to the coordinator and to the program. If you need to switch then contact the coordinator.

Reactions: 2 users

We have a waitlist of 150 people. We typically never know how the year will go because some years we have alot of cancellations, and some years not so much. There is no set number that programs need to keep. I just like to have 2 candidates for every potential spot. In response to the other coordinator that posted, it is very important for students to notify programs of a cancellation quickly so it allows other students to be offered a spot off the waitlist. If you choose to wait until the day before (which does happen), you're really only jeopardizing another student. Our interview days are going to happen with or without being filled, but we do want to fill every spot.

Hi program coordinators! We have a common question that is being asked on our tried-and-true spreadsheet:

What does it mean if a program has sent out rejections, interviews, and waitlist offers but you haven't heard anything? Does that mean there is hope to receive an interview invitation?

Additionally, is it common for programs to send out multiple waves of interviews? Many programs' dates are being crossed out on the spreadsheet and are sending some of us applicants into a tizzy.

Hi program coordinators! We have a common question that is being asked on our tried-and-true spreadsheet:

What does it mean if a program has sent out rejections, interviews, and waitlist offers but you haven't heard anything? Does that mean there is hope to receive an interview invitation?

Additionally, is it common for programs to send out multiple waves of interviews? Many programs' dates are being crossed out on the spreadsheet and are sending some of us applicants into a tizzy.

For us, we've sent out rejections to people who did not match our minimum requirements. We also have sent out one round of invitations (limited to the # of interview spots we have, so about 80 people in that round). Our second round of invites was to the waitlist. I will not be sending out any other "rounds" of invites, because 95% of my spots are filled, and I have a waitlist. If you have not heard from me, you're in this middle group: you are above our minimum requirements, and we have looked at your application, but you were also not in our top ~150 of applications. Sometimes this is a mistake- maybe we didn't have your step 2 yet, or some other thing was missing when we initially reviewed you. You haven't gotten an explicit rejection from me because we expect to get some emails from you/PD/other advocates/Couples Match partners/etc, and we want to be able to keep you in mind when we get those recommendations. However, in most cases, if you are not already on our wait list, it's unlikely we'll send an invite, and if we do, it will likely only be to the waitlist. Any invitations I send at this point will be to 1 person at a time.

Our program does not open additional dates, and we try to fill all our slots with the first round of invitations, so I can't speak for programs who open dates as the season goes on/do "rounds" of interview invites (and I'm not sure how common that is).

I can say that our program is in red right now on the spreadsheet, but that's just because our scheduling program says our dates are full. I learned last year not to make all of our slots auto-scheduler slots, so that it's easier to move people around as needed. So while our program is almost full, it's not completely full, and that's by design.

Any advice for figuring out which programs accept a 4th letter of recommendation? I just got one uploaded from an away attending and it's a strong letter. Most program's pages say to submit 3 letters and don't seem to imply whether this is a minimum or exact #.

You can submit a fourth letter especially if it is a strong one