Match List for USUHS 2006?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

romansfive

"not by bread alone"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does a match list for USUHS 2006 exist? Or is it top secret :p

Members don't see this ad.

romansfive said:
Does a match list for USUHS 2006 exist? Or is it top secret :p

Well, there was an unofficial one compiled by a classmate, but my copy got deleted off the USUHS mail server - the computer geeks decided (without bothering to let anyone know) that they would start automatically deleting messages over 60 days old.

Why do you want to know?

I'm curious the breakdown by specialty, particularly orthopaedic surgery. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
RichL025 said:
Well, there was an unofficial one compiled by a classmate, but my copy got deleted off the USUHS mail server - the computer geeks decided (without bothering to let anyone know) that they would start automatically deleting messages over 60 days old.

Why do you want to know?

I've been accepted to the incoming class of 2010 (ARMY!!) and have recently been declared unconditionally accepted. So as I have been seriously weighing schools, I 've been doing some research about Army residencies and would really like to do emergency or general surgery at BAMC. I'm wondering how well USUHS does in placing students in those two programs vs HPSP, etc.

romansfive said:
I've been accepted to the incoming class of 2010 (ARMY!!) and have recently been declared unconditionally accepted. So as I have been seriously weighing schools, I 've been doing some research about Army residencies and would really like to do emergency or general surgery at BAMC. I'm wondering how well USUHS does in placing students in those two programs vs HPSP, etc.

Three of my classmates matched to EM at BAMC this year. I matched to EM at MAMC. I'm not sure about surgery but I know of one classmate who matched at BAMC and another at MAMC.

Oh yeah, congratulations on your acceptance also.

Congradulations on your acceptance!

BAMC is very competetive for both EM and surgery, but USUHS students do very well there. To the best of my recollection, none of my classmates ranked BAMC #1 for GS this year, and no one from USUHS is going there. 4 people in my class (that I know of) ranked BAMC EM as their first choice, and all 4 of them got it.

Going to USUHS you get unique opportunities to participate in military-specific medical research that can open up many doors at the military programs. This is the benefit to going to USUHS, the drawback, of course, is that HPSP people get to apply to civilian programs if they do not match military - whereas USUHS must match military-only.

st0rmin said:
Oh yeah, congratulations on your acceptance also.

Who's this? Nick? ;)

Thanks! It'll be awesome if I could continue doing some surgical research at USUHS. I am currently working at a cardiothoracic surgery lab operating on animals from mice to pigs. While I love working with the heart, I have a long interest in trauma and emergency medicine in general.

When I read that BAMC was not only Level I but also sees civilians, I was totally sold - except for the worry that it may be too competitive. I wish there were more Army hospitals like BAMC.

Thanks for the encouraging replies about USUHS students placing well at BAMC. The scales have definitely tipped again towards USUHS!

romansfive said:
When I read that BAMC was not only Level I but also sees civilians, I was totally sold - except for the worry that it may be too competitive. I wish there were more Army hospitals like BAMC.

BAMC is the only level 1 trauma center in the army system, but MAMC is a level 2, and the primary trauma hospital for southern & western Pierce county. Both see civilians only in the setting of trauma, and then follow-up care is handled elsewhere. At MAMC (and I beleive BAMC also) residents (in both EM and GS) have many off-hospital rotations (ie, peds, transplant) where the patients are civilian.

RichL025 said:
Who's this? Nick? ;)
Yeah. MAMC EM also does many off-hospital rotations. Our trauma rotation is currently at Legacy-Emmanuel in Portland. We also have a couple of rotations at University of Washington/Harborview Medical Center where all patients are civilians.

RichL025 said:
BAMC is the only level 1 trauma center in the army system, but MAMC is a level 2, and the primary trauma hospital for southern & western Pierce county. Both see civilians only in the setting of trauma, and then follow-up care is handled elsewhere. At MAMC (and I beleive BAMC also) residents (in both EM and GS) have many off-hospital rotations (ie, peds, transplant) where the patients are civilian.

We do trauma all day every day (on call) here at BAMC. It is nice because you get more than just a few months, you are imersed in it for 5 years! By the end you want to never see trauma again! (Just kidding) We do 2 months away up at Ft Hood during PGY2, 1 month at Ft Hood PGY3, outside CT surg, colorectal and general surgery PGY 3, same as 3 but add pedisurg and transplant outside during PGY4. Lots of good away rotations for GS here at BAMC.

By 2010 when you are starting residency Walter Reed will be in serious transition, and BAMC will be one of the top 8 largerst trauma centers in the US. In additions the ISR (institute of surgical research) is absorbing a good chunk of WRAIR and will be huge as well. The future is looking bright here in San Antonio. Now all we need is a major league baseball team.

Members don't see this ad :)
idq1i said:
Match list? Don't we all know the match list? A list of military healthcare facilities?
???

idq1i said:
USUHS folks match at military facilities only, no?

The easy answer is yes, only at MTFs, but one person matched to a civilian surgery program this year. Apparently it was an interesting situation and DO NOT COUNT ON IT HAPPENING AGAIN.

Below is an incomplete match list for 2006 USUHS Army grads. Hope this helps someone.

Army
Walter Reed, Ft. Belvoir, NCC
Pediatrics - 4
FM - 1
Neuro - 1
Derm - 1
Psych - 1
GS - 1
Path - 2

Tripler
Transitional - 2 (pre-anesth)
OB/GYN - 2
Medicine - 1
Radiology - 2
Ortho - 1
Urology - 1
Peds - 1

Madigan
EM - 1
Rads - 2
Path - 1
Peds - 1
Trans - 1 (pre-anesth)
Trans - 1
GS - 1
ENT - 1
FM - 2

EAMC
GS - 1
FM - 2
Trans - 1
Trans - 1 (pre-aerospace)

WAMC
FM - 2

MACH
FM - 1

BAMC
GS - 1
Derm - 2
EM - 3
Anesth - 1

WBAMC
GS - 1
IM - 1

Did all the spots fill up?

gibber09 said:
Did all the spots fill up?

The way the military match works is that all their spots fill because if you don't get the internship you want they will place you where they have space. (ie if you want surgery, but you don't get surgery, you may end up with a medicine internship because that's where they have space for you). USUHS students are usually guranteed military interships, but that doesn't always mean they'll get their first choice. I know for the Navy HPSP students the Navy will try to fill all of its own internships before giving out civilian deferments. I imagine the same holds true for the other services.

dstMD said:
The way the military match works is that all their spots fill because if you don't get the internship you want they will place you where they have space. (ie if you want surgery, but you don't get surgery, you may end up with a medicine internship because that's where they have space for you). USUHS students are usually guranteed military interships, but that doesn't always mean they'll get their first choice. I know for the Navy HPSP students the Navy will try to fill all of its own internships before giving out civilian deferments. I imagine the same holds true for the other services.

So if I were to apply in '07 for only surgical military spots as a carribean medical school grad, I may wind up with pediatrics or IM?

No, at worst you would get a transitional internship, followed by GMO tour, then re-apply. To the best of my knowledge, no one has been "forced" into a med or peds slot.

gibber09 said:
So if I were to apply in '07 for only surgical military spots as a carribean medical school grad, I may wind up with pediatrics or IM?

If you apply as a non hpsp grad you will stand virtually no chance at matching at a Military treatment facility. If you want to be in the military, You need to look into FAP or loan repayment and pursue civilian residency.

No...you wouldn't get pediatrics considering its one of the more competitive internships (well at least in the Navy).

rotatores said:
No...you wouldn't get pediatrics considering its one of the more competitive internships (well at least in the Navy).

That's because the Navy's getting rid of peds and are currently drastically downsizing.

And can you apply to military residencies as a FMG? I didn't think you could, but that doesn't mean much.

usnavdoc said:
If you apply as a non hpsp grad you will stand virtually no chance at matching at a Military treatment facility. If you want to be in the military, You need to look into FAP or loan repayment and pursue civilian residency.

Ooh, good point, I didn't notice OP was a non-HPSP.

Save it until after residency, enter via the FAP program.

RichL025 said:
Ooh, good point, I didn't notice OP was a non-HPSP.

Save it until after residency, enter via the FAP program.

Just a thought for the OP...

Can you sign up for FAP during internship, drop the residency, do a GMO tour, then apply to military surg programs? I know most would probably advise against this for numerous reasons...

That's because the Navy's getting rid of peds and are currently drastically downsizing.

LOL...oh so wrong my friend. The Navy actually added spots for residency this past selection. How do I know?...because I'm doing peds next year. The Navy initially decided to decrease the amount of peds spots but quickly realized the need for them in the Navy.

rotatores
USUHS 2006

Good to hear Nick, I think I may have been one of the people spreading bad information, because I didn't hear about the '180' on peds.

And congrats, BTW.

rotatores said:
LOL...oh so wrong my friend. The Navy actually added spots for residency this past selection. How do I know?...because I'm doing peds next year. The Navy initially decided to decrease the amount of peds spots but quickly realized the need for them in the Navy.

rotatores
USUHS 2006

I guess I stand corrected. All I know is that the NCC peds program that I'm in is down to just 3 Navy interns per year, and we're losing 2 of them next year to GMO tours and taking 2 back from the fleet. I'm still not convinced the Navy realizes the need for peds. Good luck, and congrats on matching; it was a really tough year, not just from the number of slots vs applicants, but every Navy applicant this year seemed extremely strong.