match day- how is it done at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medfred

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious about other schools- how do you get your envelope?

We sit in an auditorium and are called down one at a time to get our envelopes in a random order. They announce it on a loud speaker and add that television laugh track stuff occasionally. just kidding on that last part. :D

I'd almost prefer to be in the privacy of my own home, though.

Members don't see this ad.

My school's is usually held outside in a plaza with a pretty statue. Everyone crowds around and they call out the names randomly. Everyone goes up and gets their envelope and puts a dollar into a pot. The last person called gets the pot. Then everyone opens the envelopes at once and starts screaming.

At my school, all the students put in 1 dollar into a match pot, then we get to draw a random number, which will be our order of when we get to go up in front of the auditorium and get our match envelope. When its our turn we go up, in front of the class and our invited guests and the dean, etc and open our envelope. Its then flashed up on a big screen where we're going and into what specialty. The last person to go up gets the match pot. After everyones done we have a luncheon at a local restaurant.

I think I may pass out when I go up to open it.

Members don't see this ad :)
At our school, they put you in a black robe and a black mask which completely blocks your vision. They walk you down 3 flights of stairs and then down a long cold dark hallway. All you can hear is whispers. In the distance a baby is crying. When you get to the end of the hallway they strip you naked. You have a bright light pointing at your face so you cannot make out the details of the large man in front of you. In a deep voice he asks you to confirm your name. Not doing so in a timely manner angers the man. Once your name is confirmed you are strapped down into a chair. The large man then tatoos your chest with the name of the place you matched. If this institution is not one of your top three choices you are thrown into a pool of hungry sharks and are torn from limb to limb by the sharks.

I'm not sure where to begin after reading Scholes' post, but I'll try....

We're pretty basic, everyone comes down one-by-one to open an envelope on a stage in one of the auditoriums on campus and read out where they're going to go for residency. We also do the "dollar in the pot" thing, I wish it was alphabetical order at my school because I'd be assured of getting the pot, but alas, people are called at random. After the match day ceremony, we'll gather at a local bar to celebrate. Everyone is invited to our match day, so the auditorium gets pretty crowded, but I'm happy because my mother and girlfriend are coming in from out of town to be a part of it.

One thing I forgot to mention: a friend of mine in Richmond told me that for this year's match day, his class is renting out an Irish pub for that night to celebrate. It's pretty fitting considering match day is also St. Patrick's Day. :)

The deans come into the auditorium with our envelopes mixed up and draw them randomly and call us to the front....

but before that they taunt us with stats of how many are staying here to do residency, etc. Plus they alway throw out a few tidbits like "and one going to New Mexico and one to Maine".

I really hope they start giving out the goodies on time this year and that the administration will keep their comments to a minimum.

We have an off site reception just afterward, which means our faculty members can't come due to work. Kind of weird compared to some of my friends' match days.

PairODocs said:
but before that they taunt us with stats of how many are staying here to do residency, etc. Plus they alway throw out a few tidbits like "and one going to New Mexico and one to Maine".

So does that mean that the administration "knows" before we do?

GeneGoddess said:
So does that mean that the administration "knows" before we do?

From what I have been told, they know like a few days ahead of time. They get the matchlist and then contact those that are not in it and instruct them on scrambling procedures.

scholes said:
From what I have been told, they know like a few days ahead of time. They get the matchlist and then contact those that are not in it and instruct them on scrambling procedures.

They find out where everyones going on Monday, March 14.

The programs know a full day in advance b/c my husband (resident) has always know who they are getting and where they are from the day before.

Knowledge is power.
The programs and administrator are always given the knowledge first.

But NRMP/ AAMC etc all claim this is a student-centered process.
B@LL$HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

at our school, i think we have a champagne toast. then we get our envelopes. then we walk up individually and read off where we matched. i heard it's actually kind of anti-climactic.

I applied in IM, not Peds, but the thread caught my attention.. Fortunately, our school doesn't have the whole thing of making people go up in front of the whole class to read where they matched... Is it just me, or is anyone else really uncomfortable with this format?? I think it would be absolutely awful to be somewhat disappointed in where you matched and try to hide it in front of everyone when you opened the envelope.. I'm probably not going to match day as is, as I just don't feel the need to be "congratulated" by my classmates..especially considering that a # of them have made disparaging remarks about my top choices, all which I am really happy with...

irlandesa said:
I applied in IM, not Peds, but the thread caught my attention.. Fortunately, our school doesn't have the whole thing of making people go up in front of the whole class to read where they matched... Is it just me, or is anyone else really uncomfortable with this format?? I think it would be absolutely awful to be somewhat disappointed in where you matched and try to hide it in front of everyone when you opened the envelope.. I'm probably not going to match day as is, as I just don't feel the need to be "congratulated" by my classmates..especially considering that a # of them have made disparaging remarks about my top choices, all which I am really happy with...

I agree - I'm glad our school doesn't do this either. We simply open them at the same time. Of course, opening them one by one would take a while since our class has over 200 people in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
only half the people at my school show up to match day. the other half prefer to find out in the privacy of their homes where they will end up. unfortunately, all my friends have decided to stay home for match day. so i guess i'll be without friends, family, or significant other on match day. :(

shellfish said:
only half the people at my school show up to match day. the other half prefer to find out in the privacy of their homes where they will end up. unfortunately, all my friends have decided to stay home for match day. so i guess i'll be without friends, family, or significant other on match day. :(

not surprising, I wouldn't doubt that those who are not going have had to put up with bad manners from Deans and fellow students.. I say if you and your bf and friends want to celebrate in front of the computer, go for it. I know that after hearing yesterday from a genius AOA'er and a future orthopod about "how dumb the categorical IM residents at Baystate are, haha" that I have no desire to go anywhere near match day. Granted, I didn't rank Baystate that high, but apparently some of my classmates seem to have forgotten that we graduated from third grade already.. :rolleyes:

We all dress up in costumes to match the chosen theme at our school (ie Vegas, the 70's, Superheros)...I am not sure why :confused:

The day starts early with breakfast and mimosas. Then we head over to the auditorium with friends and family (everyone goes including alum and the M1-M3's) One envelope is drawn by the dean, that person comes up draws the next envelope and so on and so on....Once all have their envelopes, everyone opens at the same time and celebration (hopefully) ensues!

Then a restaurant/bar is reserved in the afternoon for partying!!!

irlandesa said:
I know that after hearing yesterday from a genius AOA'er and a future orthopod about "how dumb the categorical IM residents at Baystate are, haha" that I have no desire to go anywhere near match day. :

i'd kick that ****er in the balls if he tried to pull that **** on me on match day.

shellfish said:
i'd kick that ****er in the balls if he tried to pull that **** on me on match day.
wow, spending time in the Path forum has given you a real pottymouth.

anyways, i dunno if i myself will be going to match day. i only know about 10% of my classmates.

AndyMilonakis said:
anyways, i dunno if i myself will be going to match day. i only know about 10% of my classmates.

I don't even know that many. I think I know two on sight. Being an MD/PhD and never having done rotations with them will do that to you...

But I'm going anyway.

GeneGoddess said:
I don't even know that many. I think I know two on sight. Being an MD/PhD and never having done rotations with them will do that to you...

But I'm going anyway.
yeah, i'm really sitting on the fence.

Option A - Just find out via computer while sitting in the lab with my friends. Crack open a bottle of champagne when the result is announced.

Option B - Take part in a champagne toast with people I don't know. Then open a stupid envelope.

Hmm...waitaminute, I'm gonna be a pathologist. I'm supposed to be anti-social. Option A it is. :laugh:

I also think its horrible that some schools have students get up and announce where they are matched in front of everyone. How humiliating if you aren't proud of your match.

scootad. said:
I also think its horrible that some schools have students get up and announce where they are matched in front of everyone. How humiliating if you aren't proud of your match.
Several years ago, I heard of a girl who cried on stage because she got her #6 (her rank list was only 7 programs long). I think our school does it where you announce your result in front of everyone. Another reason why I am entertaining the possibility of not attending the match day cermony.

We have the option of announcing the result, but knowing the pompous blowhards in my class, everyone will wind up announcing it.

We get to go up and get our envelopes but we don't have to open them onstage...I'm letting my husband open mine

I am going to gently close all the shades in my room to dim the lights, burn some candles, and put on a Marvin Gay record, look my monitor right in its eyes and....

No, j/k match day is at a bar with green beer. We won't be doing any of that announcing stuff because, let's face it, I only really care about where ~10% of the people in my class match enough to listen to all that rubbish.

"Let the games begin!"

-Jim Carey, Cableguy

all i know is that 6 hours after i find out where i match, i'm gonna be on a plane to vegas. i'm gonna sit in first class with a buddy of mine who is on the same flight, who is also sitting in first class. i'm am gonna drink non-stop in the first class cabin. then when i get off the plane, i'm drinking some more at the airport bar. then i go to the hotel to drop my **** off. then, i'm gonna gamble...and get free booze. perhaps watch some of the 1st round NCAA tourney games at a bar which is where I will be...guess what...that's right, drinkin' some more. then later that night, the whole party is going to the titty bar. and guess what? more booze there too.

I figure that no matter what happens I will be intoxicated by no later than 1pm on match day. If I get my #1, I drink out of joy. If I don't, I drink to drown away my sorrows. Either way, I know that no matter where I match, I will surely have a hang over on Friday. It's nice to have a little certainty about something at this point.

We have no such ceremony at our school. At all. But I'm at a DO school and probably at least a fourth of the class has already matched in teh military match, the DO match and has been able to sign outside the match in MD programs, so I guess it would be kind of nonclimactic for some. I just get to go online and look.

yeah, what is up with the Pathology infiltration here in Peds; have you not corrupted us future internists enough with your vulgarities?;) But seriously, as my name implies, I feel some degree of EtOH intoxication prior to finding out the result is mandatory on my part, as it is St. Paddy's Day..

We are supposed to get there at 11:15 and there will be some food and drinks. Then the Deans and stuff will come down a little before 12, say a few words, line us up and give us our envelopes..THen we all open them at the same time..It's pretty low key compared to some of you!

our class rents out a venue every year--this year it was the chicago public library wintergarden, which is huge--and has unlimited food and open bar for 4-5 hours...then off to a local bar for a post-party. the administration calls out our names to get our envelopes and we have the option of opening them on our own and then returning to the stage whenever we like to announce our matches....or not announcing at all as the newly-matched resident sees fit.

it was lots of fun--very debaucherous, but then again I guess these things are.