Match Anxiety: Dreams or nightmares

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowkhat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've had a couple of weird dreams about the match. In my first dream I got my #2 spot, which I was pretty stoked about.

In my most recent dream/nightmare, I matched to Hartford,CT and my fiance matched to Kentucky. We didn't apply to programs in either area. My brain is an *******.

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't had any directly related to the match but I've certainly had an increase in stress related dreams since we've gotten closer to the big day. For instance, last night I was inexplicably hosting Saturday Night Live and needless to say it did not go well. :)

Nightmares every single night about all sorts of bizarre crap. They wake me up at 3am like clockwork.. This needs to end!

My racing thoughts and insomnia have kicked into full gear. If I had known this was going to happen I would have stockpiled on ambien or lunesta :smuggrin: I can't wait till this is over.

I've had dreams about matching into #1, #10, and not matching at all. Can't wait till this is over.

My one and only match nightmare so far has been that I did not certify my rank list. eek! however I have several more weeks to go. Why do we have to wait so long?

You have 11 days to go. You can log on to NRMP and see that you certified it. If you try doing that during your dream, you will prob be awake within a few seconds.

I've had 2 dreams so far about getting my #2 pick. 11 days and counting!

My friend had a dream she matched at Macy's. :laugh: When she told me about it, it must have triggered something in my brain...because then I had a dream I matched at Wal-mart. Things are getting out of hand, people...

I've had nightmares every night for the last two weeks. Argh. 11 days!

My friend had a dream she matched at Macy's. :laugh: When she told me about it, it must have triggered something in my brain...because then I had a dream I matched at Wal-mart. Things are getting out of hand, people...

Do you think they have loan repayment at Walmart?

Oh please please please let it be target!!!!

my favorite match day dream:

One of the FM attendings from my home university appeared to me in a dream as if she were the angel Gabriel, bestowing the good news that I had match into my home university. When I asked her which program (I applied to two, the community based and the main university) she disappointingly said I'd have to wait for match day!

Of course, I ranked the community program #1, and the university program #7 so perhaps if this was indeed a heavenly vision, based on how I ranked...

Nightmares every single night about all sorts of bizarre crap. They wake me up at 3am like clockwork.. This needs to end!

March opened with three nightmares, three days in a row. All of which woke me at precisely 3:24 am.

First one I was involved in some odd scramble ritual that involved me flying to a program I ranked #8 but did not match to. In the meeting with the figure there, I saw a congratulations you matched card made out to me and other students, but of course mine had my name crossed off.

Second was my wife was dying and I could do nothing.

Third was I failed the rural family med rotation I just completed.

Been safe for a few days, I hope it continues.

March opened with three nightmares, three days in a row. All of which woke me at precisely 3:24 am.

First one I was involved in some odd scramble ritual that involved me flying to a program I ranked #8 but did not match to. In the meeting with the figure there, I saw a congratulations you matched card made out to me and other students, but of course mine had my name crossed off.

Second was my wife was dying and I could do nothing.

Third was I failed the rural family med rotation I just completed.

Been safe for a few days, I hope it continues.

3:24 am is the time when I usually waking up! I also have nightmares....

I've been having these dreams on and off since January. Sometimes they're even daydreams. There's a huge possibility that me and my SO may not be together so that makes the dreams worse. On god days, we both match at our No1s. On okay days, we both match somewhere. On bad days either I match at my No1 and he doesn't match or he matches at his and I don't. Every day there are at least 15good minutes where I freak out and he has to calm me down. I'm trying to talk to as few people who know about the match as possible between now and next week, because I don't want to start thinking about it. I have told only close family where my Number 1 is because if I told others they would get too excited and thus get me excited. I have a tendency to put all my faith in things (or people) so if I get too excited about this place and I don't match there I'll be devastated, even though I still absolutely love my 2-7 choices. I moved all my post-interview contact with PDs into a separate folder in my email so I don't have to see them every time I check my email.

So has anyone else had the dream where you open the Match Day envelope at 12 Noon and there's nothing inside?

I woke up in a cold sweat.

I had a terrible dream last week that I was in on the ranking meeting at one program and they all laughed at me when my "applicant ppt slide" came up and said...."so funny that she thought she would match here!! What an idiot."

Ugh...woke up sweating and pissed. :laugh:

Another note...my crushing chest pressure is now radiating down my left arm. I may ask for an EKG tomorrow. Or a xanax.

Meh.

That's hilarious! Hahaha, I want to match at Dilliards! Anyway, I've been having bad dreams and waking up middle of the night too. Gosh, I can't wait.

I had my first match-related dream last night. In it, I didn't get an email on Monday, so I went to the NRMP website, except it was blank where my matched/no match status should have been. And all the phone lines to the NRMP offices were busy. Definitely woke up in a bit of a panic. Can it just be Monday/Thursday yet??

Just day dreams. Don't know how things will work out.. just know that time goes by slow.

I had a nightmare where I matched at my worst spot and punched the dean/president in the face who was hosting our ceremony. The funny thing is that I remembered to put in my $5 we give to charity after punching the guy. Otherwise, I have been well.

I had a dream that when I logged in to NRMP I saw : "Congratulations you'll have twins!"...I have no idea where is that came from since I am not pregnant and don't want to have kids in nearest future...:)

So has anyone else had the dream where you open the Match Day envelope at 12 Noon and there's nothing inside?

I woke up in a cold sweat.

Totally had this dream! I also dreamt that I opened my envelope and had someone else's letter from a different school, and so they collected all our letters and said we'd all find out next week.

My 1st (and only) dream was like 8 weeks back, found out I matched @ my #2 and I was thrilled

Had my first nightmare last night, found out I didn't match, tried to contact one of the DO internships, one of the programs made me do a song and dance over the phone, then they told me to wait, and in that time 2 of my other internships I had planned to contact if that top choice didn't work out all filled.. then they get back on the line and tell me "sorry, we just filled our last spot, it was a pleasure speaking with you though, keep up that enthusiasm."

At this point, I sure as HELL don't want to scramble. I'll take my last spot categorical/advanced over experiencing that type of hell. :mad::eek:

I had a dream last night that when I tried to check my match status online I was unable to because I kept typing the wrong address. :/

I had a similar dream last night! I was on campus, everyone around me was shouting in excitement, "I matched! I matched!"...and I just kept getting browser errors...I was on some old desktop and the mouse's cords kept getting tangled such that I couldn't even pull the mouse out far enough to be on its pad...When I finally got it on the pad, the clicker on the mouse was being inconsistent.

The night before last night, I had a dream that I matched into an osteopathic traditional rotating year at a place I had never heard of or applied to. Since I didn't apply osteopathic, I had clearly tried to scramble.

Anyway, its been a rough two nights :laugh:

Had a dream last night that I matched at my #2, but everyone kept consoling me for not matching at my #3. This week is going to be brutal.

Sweet dreams tonight (or later this week)! :D

Uggghhhhh. WTF @ my insomnia.

I don't get it. I'm not even nervous. I think I slept like 2 hours; even had a dream I was doing a 2nd look visit THE DAY BEFORE the Match. :laugh: I'm curious to see if the program I dreamed about is where I end up matching.

At any rate, I feel like passing out right now. Should make for an interesting morning on rounds, and an even more interesting trip to the bar later today.

A friend of mine dreamed that I matched someplace that is not anywhere near the top of my list :(
I look forward to finally getting some relaxing deep sleep!

Last night I dreamt that when I opened up my envelope and it said in bold that I have matched to CHINA. I yelled, WTH does this mean? Then I proceed to ask the Dean what does this mean? He goes, "It means you are screwed." I woke up and was unable to fall back to sleep. :(

Last edited:
Uggghhhhh. WTF @ my insomnia.

I don't get it. I'm not even nervous. I think I slept like 2 hours; even had a dream I was doing a 2nd look visit THE DAY BEFORE the Match. :laugh: I'm curious to see if the program I dreamed about is where I end up matching.

At any rate, I feel like passing out right now. Should make for an interesting morning on rounds, and an even more interesting trip to the bar later today.

I just wanted to put into writing that my dream was about a 2nd look at my #2 program. Now I am really curious as to whether or not it was a sign. I will let y'all know if my dream was indeed spot-on.

Well you guys are totally making me laugh, and you are also making me feel less lame for also having dreamed about the Match! I had really thought I was more chill than this but apparently not.

Anyway my dream was that when I opened my envelope it wasn't a match to a residency at all but rather an acceptance to medical school at Ponce University in Puerto Rico, which I did apply to 4 years ago and to this day have never heard from. I thought in my dream "well at least they finally responded." And then I wondered whether this meant I would have to do medical school all over again.

Bless my heart.

No dreams since before I made my rank list when I think I had two nightmares. I was getting a lot of pressure from my sig. o. to rank places near where he matched in the military match which happens to be a city I really don't like. I interviewed at 3 programs there despite not liking the city but HATED one of them. My bf still really wanted me to like it/ rank it and probably wanted those programs to be 1/2/3 . I met with our dean of students to discuss this problem and said I didn't want to rank it and he stated that I should rethink that. He said I should only not rank a program if I'd rather go to south dakota than that program. I said I was pretty sure I'd rather go to South Dakota.

So the dream:

I didn't rank the program I hated but I matched there anyway. I then ran around saying how the other program in the city was the one I ranked and not the program I hated. The NRMP said that it was their mistake and they confused the two programs since they were in the same city but there was nothing they could do about it. I probably went into how being there would ruin my opportunities for fellowship etc etc. I think I woke up in a sweat.

I decided not to rank it after that as I figured the dream meant that I really didn't want to end up there. I've had no dreams since my decision to not rank this program.

Last edited:
I definitely understand the insomnia thing. (lol, as you can see, its 4am and I'm awake) I havent really felt nervous but I've been waking up 4-5x/night for the last week. Its terrible!!

Tonight I'm going to get some serious zzzzzzz.

I definitely understand the insomnia thing. (lol, as you can see, its 4am and I'm awake) I havent really felt nervous but I've been waking up 4-5x/night for the last week. Its terrible!!

Tonight I'm going to get some serious zzzzzzz.

Seriously. Woke up at 4 am and can't go back to sleep. So decided to watch TV. Now thinking of making breakfast. Debating when to start drinking for St.Patrick's day. :luck: