This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milton47

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prior to applying to medical schools, I am pursuing a Masters program. I've gotten into Masters programs at Harvard, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, and Stanford. I am currently at Stanford so I am really familiar with the community- but does anyone have any insight or opinions on location/atmosphere/community for Harvard, Columbia, or Johns Hopkins?
My main concern is that I will be applying to medical schools this coming summer, so I don't know if I want to spend the time moving cross country, settling into a new city, etc while being in the middle of secondary grind/stressed out about applications.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do not apply until you have the best possible app, and you are able to devote all your resources to the app process.
My application is probably as strong as it can be at this point. I have a fairly good GPA from a competitive undergrad institution, good MCAT, over 300 hours of volunteering/shadowing, leadership, publications in Cell and Science, and (hopefully) strong letters of rec. I am not too concerned with the application itself.
I am mostly trying to decide if I want to relocate to the East Coast (have lived in the West Coast my whole life) for a masters program and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on these schools or locations.