• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

Masters in Medical Science???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misanne

misanne
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all
My name is anne and I know that this may seem really trivial to some but this is an issue that I have been dealing with for a while and I am ready to go ahead and go for it I don't have the time to go into deep detail anbout the background information but here is the question that I want to ask. I am striving to go to medical school as are many of you but it is so very hard I PROBALLY HAVE NOT TRIED AS HARD as I needed to but I think that I do try pretty hard. Friday I got some information from Indiana university about a Masters programfor a Masters in Mesical Science. Now I am wondering what will I be able to do with this?? Will it be a waste of time instead of putting all of my efforts in to medical school?? And if I was going to Grad School I was thinking about going to get a masters in Public Health, because I think that would be a little more benificial to my prospective medical carrer, and it is something thatI am really interested in. I have taken the August MCAT and the deadline for Indiana is dec 15, but I don't think that I will have enough time to even get letters of recomendation or anything. I am just feeling really down about the entire situation and wanted some information about the situation. I have been out of college for almost three years and have really done nothing towards medical school I feel like, and I really want to get into school but I don't know what the hold up is. And I am so scared of my preformance on the test that I have not even looked at them yet. I know that that was realy stupid and I just as well have not even taken the test. The initial reason that I did not open the scores is that I did not have the personal statement together so I felt like what is the use since my application is not complete. Right now I wanna give it one more shot and honestly give it my all but I also want to have a back up plan and a supplemental plan and I just need some advice. At this point I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

misanne said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all
My name is anne and I know that this may seem really trivial to some but this is an issue that I have been dealing with for a while and I am ready to go ahead and go for it I don't have the time to go into deep detail anbout the background information but here is the question that I want to ask. I am striving to go to medical school as are many of you but it is so very hard I PROBALLY HAVE NOT TRIED AS HARD as I needed to but I think that I do try pretty hard. Friday I got some information from Indiana university about a Masters programfor a Masters in Mesical Science. Now I am wondering what will I be able to do with this?? Will it be a waste of time instead of putting all of my efforts in to medical school?? And if I was going to Grad School I was thinking about going to get a masters in Public Health, because I think that would be a little more benificial to my prospective medical carrer, and it is something thatI am really interested in. I have taken the August MCAT and the deadline for Indiana is dec 15, but I don't think that I will have enough time to even get letters of recomendation or anything. I am just feeling really down about the entire situation and wanted some information about the situation. I have been out of college for almost three years and have really done nothing towards medical school I feel like, and I really want to get into school but I don't know what the hold up is. And I am so scared of my preformance on the test that I have not even looked at them yet. I know that that was realy stupid and I just as well have not even taken the test. The initial reason that I did not open the scores is that I did not have the personal statement together so I felt like what is the use since my application is not complete. Right now I wanna give it one more shot and honestly give it my all but I also want to have a back up plan and a supplemental plan and I just need some advice. At this point I don't know what to do.

These post-bacc MS programs work great if you get nto medical school, but are not generally accepted by the healthcare industry as a whole. If you are set on medicl school, they are a good way to go, if you think that a career in healthcare is a "backup plan", look at a different degree.

- H

I got my masters in medical science at Boston University Medical School, and I was just accepted to an osteopathic school (that was my goal.) My undergraduate science gpa was terrible, but medical schools focused on the masters degree because it mirrored first year courses (biochem, physiology, endocrinology, etc.) We had to do a thesis, and I did a small patient study at the affiliated hospital. After I graduated I got a nice job as a research assistant in a hospital, and took the august MCAT (getting the masters really helped with the bio section of the MCAT) and applied to schools.

If you know that you want to go to med school, and since you've been out of school for a few years, a masters of medical science is a good way to go (the BU program is pretty good, too.) If you're still not sure, I'd apply to a few other different kinds of programs as well, such as MPH. And being out of school for a few years isn't a very long time, honestly. Ages in my program ranged from 22 to 40 something, and that'll be the case in some med schools, too. By the time you do a masters program and apply, they won't be looking at your undergraduate work. Just recent coursework, mcat, and volunteering and employment.

don't worry. =) good luck.