Masters in Germany before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostnconfused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I was considering getting a masters in Germany before applying to medical school in America. I need to improve my application and raise my GPA before applying to medical school in America. Post-bach and master programs in America are too expensive. I am considering Germany because 1) free tuition 2) they offer much more interesting and medically related masters and 3) I have always wanted to study abroad.

However, I have a few questions:

1. How difficult is it to get into a masters program (i.e. in medical science/molecular medicine/medical research, etc.) in Germany?
2. I am also worried about how the academic semester lines up with America's medical schools. Most med schools in America start mid-August. However, summer terms in Germany ends in September. If I do a 2 masters program, will this mean I need to take another gap year before medical school?
3. Could I take out loans to pay for living expenses? If so, would they be American loans..?

Members don't see this ad.

Why not spend the abroad time doing some awesome medical volunteering?

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider getting an über-master's. Much more powerful, although somewhat nihilistic.

Why not spend the abroad time doing some awesome medical volunteering?
Because those usually cost money and would not contribute to boosting my GPA. Also have never understood the concept of paying to be a medical volunteer..

Pretty much.
Could you please refer me to your source for this information? Or direct me to where to find information about how AAMC/medical schools look at foreign graduate programs?

Could you please refer me to your source for this information? Or direct me to where to find information about how AAMC/medical schools look at foreign graduate programs?
Foreign transcripts (except for Canadian schools that are AAMC members) are not processed through AMCAS. Thus, we will never see them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much.
"If courses have been accepted as transfer credit by a U.S. or Canadian institution, select
Pass/Fail as the Special Course Type and enter the transcript grade as recorded on the
official transcript of the U.S. or Canadian institution accepting the courses as transfer
credit and credit hours.
Letter grades (e.g., A, B, C, etc.) will only be verified and included in AMCAS GPA
calculations if such grades appear on the transcript of the U.S. or Canadian institution
awarding the transfer credit."

I got the above from the AAMC manual, but I would assume they are talking about undergraduate courses..?

Foreign transcripts (except for Canada that is included in the AAMC) are not processed through AMCAS. Thus, we will never see them.
If you include this coursework on your application:
 Include the foreign institution in Schools Attended.
 Request a transcript exception for the foreign institution.
 Do not send foreign transcripts or certificates to AMCAS.
 Provide all required course data except credit hours attempted and grades.
The coursework will not be verified by AMCAS and will not be included in your AMCAS
GPAs.

Dang..

Reactions: 1 user
If you include this coursework on your application:
 Include the foreign institution in Schools Attended.
 Request a transcript exception for the foreign institution.
 Do not send foreign transcripts or certificates to AMCAS.
 Provide all required course data except credit hours attempted and grades.
The coursework will not be verified by AMCAS and will not be included in your AMCAS
GPAs.

Dang..
At least you know before you invested.

At least you know before you invested.
Yeah, thank you very much.

I'm just shocked.. The programs seem completely credible, I just can't believe medical schools wouldn't see any value in them. I would expect to learn way more practical things from a masters in medical science than a regular masters in biology in the U.S... Darn. I got super excited when I learned about the programs in Germany. Guess it's too good to be real after all.

Yeah, thank you very much.

I'm just shocked.. The programs seem completely credible, I just can't believe medical schools wouldn't see any value in them. I would expect to learn way more practical things from a masters in medical science than a regular masters in biology in the U.S... Darn. I got super excited when I learned about the programs in Germany. Guess it's too good to be real after all.
They may be valuable. They are uninterpretable data, though (for us).
Master's degrees in the US suffer from the same problem. It's hard to use them for comparison when most applicants do not have them and their rigor is wildly variable.

They may be valuable. They are uninterpretable data, though (for us).
Master's degrees in the US suffer from the same problem. It's hard to use them for comparison when most applicants do not have them and their rigor is wildly variable.
So... Does getting a masters degree in the US not differ much from getting a masters in Germany? Could I.. perhaps send the transcript to individual medical schools instead?

My main purpose of enrolling in a masters is to boost my science GPA. SMPs and post-bacchs are way too expensive. With master degrees, at least there are fellowships and grants. However, I would much rather take clinically relevant courses as seen offered through the German masters if given the choice. And as far as a second bachelor's is concerned, private universities are too expensive and many public state universities have stopped offering them. Plus, I thought it would make more sense to take my education to the next level.

I'm very lost... No one option seems to be the ultimate choice..

Although AMCAS doesn't verify foreign transcripts, if you still list your classes on your application and send them your transcript evaluated by an agency such as WES, your courses will appear on your AMCAS application. Your GPA will not be calculated for foreign coursework but the classes will be there.

EDIT: verify *foreign* transcripts

So... Does getting a masters degree in the US not differ much from getting a masters in Germany? Could I.. perhaps send the transcript to individual medical schools instead?

My main purpose of enrolling in a masters is to boost my science GPA. SMPs and post-bacchs are way too expensive. With master degrees, at least there are fellowships and grants. However, I would much rather take clinically relevant courses as seen offered through the German masters if given the choice. And as far as a second bachelor's is concerned, private universities are too expensive and many public state universities have stopped offering them. Plus, I thought it would make more sense to take my education to the next level.

I'm very lost... No one option seems to be the ultimate choice..
Master's degrees do not remediate a weak undergrad performance for MD schools.
DO grade replacement is the swiftest way to improve this metric.
An SMP or post bac is what is left for MD aspirants.

Reactions: 1 users
Master's degrees do not remediate a weak undergrad performance for MD schools.
DO grade replacement is the swiftest way to improve this metric.
An SMP or post bac is what is left for MD aspirants.
What about career enhancers? I know SF State has one where you just take upper division science classes, but it does not lead to a degree of any sort. My science GPA isn't awful and is from a pretty competitive university.. But I obviously don't feel comfortable applying with it...

What about career enhancers? I know SF State has one where you just take upper division science classes, but it does not lead to a degree of any sort. My science GPA isn't awful and is from a pretty competitive university.. But I obviously don't feel comfortable applying with it...

You didn't post your stats. All I can say is maybe...

Consider that while you are abroad, you won't be able to get American healthcare experience and volunteer in your local community.

Studying abroad is a nice way to get many experiences for life, but that won't help remediate bad academic performance in US undergrad in the slightest.

Also, education in Germany is only free in German.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Consider that while you are abroad, you won't be able to get American healthcare experience and volunteer in your local community.

Studying abroad is a nice way to get many experiences for life, but that won't help remediate bad academic performance in US undergrad in the slightest.

Also, education in Germany is only free in German.
What if I gain healthcare experience before I go? There are many graduate programs in Germany that are tuition free even for non-EU foreigners, with all instructions offered in English.

See for example: https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stu...ngDistribution=0&sortBy=1&page=1&display=list