Master's GPA concedered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

havadk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I was informed that there are certain Pharmacy Schools if you UG GPA is very poor then they will consider your Master GPA instead. Is this true? and if so does anyone know what schools will take the Master's GPA over the UG GPA.

Help is very appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hoping chemguy79 or kcwang will see this thread. :D

Based on what I know about PharmCAS, your overall GPA will be calculated based on every class you've taken, undergrad or masters. It breaks it down based on subject & year, as well, so the school can see that information.

You will still have to report your undergrad information - I don't think it's an "instead" situation. However, schools may consider your masters GPA more important or may consider an upwards trend. I think the best advice would be to contact your prospective schools, let them know you'd like to do what you need to be a competitive applicant, and see what they say.

You may have an uphill battle - unless you have some sort of "in" independent of your undergrad performance, getting into a masters program might be tough in the first place. Best of luck in your endeavors, though! :thumbup:

It depends on the program or at least that's what I found in Texas.

I had a crappy GPA as an undergrad (2.79 overall & maybe a 2.4 science), but I'm doing great in my master's program at Texas State (3.59 see I'm not stupid). However the only program that was willing to look at my master's work was UT. All the other programs told me I would have to retake some class but I know that some schools also average (UT does). So what's the point in taking the class over again if the school is going to average the grades? You would have to take the class 3 times to get an A average. I also teach organic chemistry labs so why am I going to retake a class that I currently teach?

Anyway, UT did tell me that my application would have to be looked at personally because the initial ranking that they would give me would be based on my undergrad GPA. Obviously they did look at my application personally because I just interviewed with them last week.

My biggest suggestion is to find the program that you want to go to and ask admissions what you have to do in order to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know where i can go to find out more information like that besides calling every single school?

Last edited:
Do you know where i can go to find out more information like that besides calling every single school?

There isn't a standardized place for you to go to find this information; You should contact the school to get the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Sorry, there's no easy way around this. But on the bright side the school does become familiar with you and your file which would be in your favor if you apply. Just something to think about.