Post-Bacc (Masters in Biomedical Sciences)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamiv866

Reaction score
What should I do now? Any advice? I got my bachelors degree this semester and I want to be a pharmacists, but I haven't apply to any pharmacy school yet because my GPA is low so should I consider doing the post bacc (Masters in biomedical Sciences)?
I got my undergrad degree in Biochemistry, but my GPA is low and I don’t think with that GPA any college will accept me because my overall cGPA is 2.92 and that’s with the forgiveness grade policy otherwise it would be somewhere 2.7 or something and my science GPS is not so great. I did maintain 3.23 my junior year and 3.69 my senior year and did good on the upper science classes as well, but my sophomore year GPA is really really low and thats the lower level science classes so I wasn’t really sure what to do next!?

Members don't see this ad.

What should I do now? Any advice? I got my bachelors degree this semester and I want to be a pharmacists, but I haven't apply to any pharmacy school yet because my GPA is low so should I consider doing the post bacc (Masters in biomedical Sciences)?
I got my undergrad degree in Biochemistry, but my GPA is low and I don’t think with that GPA any college will accept me because my overall cGPA is 2.92 and that’s with the forgiveness grade policy otherwise it would be somewhere 2.7 or something and my science GPS is not so great. I did maintain 3.23 my junior year and 3.69 my senior year and did good on the upper science classes as well, but my sophomore year GPA is really really low and thats the lower level science classes so I wasn’t really sure what to do next!?

How does PharmCAS calculate your cGPA and sGPA? Also, what is your pre-requisite GPA?

What classes exactly did you receive forgiveness? You implied the lower level science courses but which ones exactly?

As a biochem major, were you mandated to do a research project and report to an advisor? Did you work while in school?

My worry is not so much if and when you get accepted to pharmacy school, its the question of would you pass pharmacy school... Truth be told my first year of pharmacy school was a nightmare even after earning my bachelors in biochemistry (3 year expedited program - 90% score or fail). If you pursue a masters, you need to consider if the type of classes correlate well with your science prerequisites. For example, if you got a C in molecular biology but an A in advanced molecular biology that shows true understanding of the material. I cant really give a specific answer to your question without knowing the class details and a true GPA scale. Nonetheless, if you have the resources and means to apply to a masters program and do well it can only increase your chances (keep in mind, pharmacy programs do not require a bachelors to apply).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I suggest you start working as a pharm tech this summer. It will probably be a lot harder than usual due to the pandemic but you absolutely have to do this before you decide you want to go into pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t do a post bacc for pharmacy school. That’s overkill. They will take you. The minimum GPA is just 2.5. And they accept people as low as 1.7. Your GPA is even high enough for established programs.

Post bacc is for people who want to boost their GPA, which only adds to undergrad GPA to get accepted to medical school or for people switching from non science careers to medicine. Post bacc are geared to towards prepping people for getting acceptance into medical school.

Pharmacy is a dead profession and they will accept you with open arms without a post bacc. But there will be zero jobs by the time you graduate. If you choose a residency, you will survive for a year or two on 50k/yr and then unemployed

Last edited by a moderator: