The 7th Kalvary and The Watchmen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started watching the new HBO series "The Watchmen" and I was disappointed the show was so blatantly political. In this version of the USA racist White Americans have banded together using the name the 7th Kalvary. They seek to kill or separate black Americans from the white race. While I openly acknowledge racism exists today circa 2019 I take issue with the degree and the numbers of these hateful white supremacists as shown in the HBO drama.

I did learn about the destruction of Black Tulsa in 1921 which my history classes swept over. But, this isn't 1921 and those of us to the right of center really think the portrayal of the liberal media that all conservatives hate Black Americans is simply false.

I was very disappointed in the HBO drama.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
not read the comics, I suspect?

this is a show where robert redford is the president and superheroes abound. it's called fiction.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I started watching the new HBO series "The Watchmen" and I was disappointed the show was so blatantly political. In this version of the USA racist White Americans have banded together using the name the 7th Kalvary. They seek to kill or separate black Americans from the white race. While I openly acknowledge racism exists today circa 2019 I take issue with the degree and the numbers of these hateful white supremacists as shown in the HBO drama.

I did learn about the destruction of Black Tulsa in 1921 which my history classes swept over. But, this isn't 1921 and those of us to the right of center really think the portrayal of the liberal media that all conservatives hate Black Americans is simply false.

That's because you're white and fragile. /sarcasm

It's the same network that wants to (still) create a show called "Confederate", an alt-history series based on what if the confederacy won the Civil War. Not everyone likes all art.

It's fiction. Last I checked, Japan and Germany didn't win WWII, either, but there's a show about that, also.

Reactions: 1 user
It's fiction. Last I checked, Japan and Germany didn't win WWII, either, but there's a show about that, also.
And there’s only one more season.

For all who have missed “Man in the High Castle,” it’s a mixture of Lost, Inception and that feeling of disgust when you’re bare footed and step into a pile of dog crap.

Reactions: 2 users
There is no room for this BS today.
My bro-in-law had a film he was all excited about (and so was I) until the Trump administration had it pulled.

We are divided enough in this country. But for some reason the press and the “arts” get a pass on towing the line of social correctness.

There is no room for this BS today.
My bro-in-law had a film he was all excited about (and so was I) until the Trump administration had it pulled.

We are divided enough in this country. But for some reason the press and the “arts” get a pass on towing the line of social correctness.

Dude, how can anyone get worked up about that hunt movie when Surviving the Game came out in 1994. One of the finest in Ice-T's filmography if I do say so myself

I would be curious how many of those who defend a show about racist whites would defend one about racist blacks.

I think brainwashing people into thinking in stereotypes is never commendable.

not read the comics, I suspect?

this is a show where robert redford is the president and superheroes abound. it's called fiction.

I watched the second episode on HBO last night. In order to understand the series I watched You Tube Videos to explain most of the "alt-history" and catch me up on the story line

And there’s only one more season.

For all who have missed “Man in the High Castle,” it’s a mixture of Lost, Inception and that feeling of disgust when you’re bare footed and step into a pile of dog crap.
I really enjoyed Man In The High Castle though I sort of lost interest as it became less and less alt history and more and more mystical. I might have to pick up where I left off, now that I find myself with some extra free time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really enjoyed Man In The High Castle though I sort of lost interest as it became less and less alt history and more and more mystical. I might have to pick up where I left off, now that I find myself with some extra free time.
The book was the same. It got real weird at the end

MindHunter. Watch it.

Reactions: 5 users
The book was the same. It got real weird at the end
I haven't seen the series, but I read the book after hearing such rave reviews for the series. I thought the alternative history idea was unique and I was prepared to enjoy the book. I finished thinking, is that it? Such a unique idea and that is all he could do with it? I was severely disappointed.

"I'm disappointed in a work of fiction that challenges my convictions about liberal media bias and racism not being that bad"

"I'm disappointed in a work of fiction that challenges my convictions about liberal media bias and racism not being that bad"
I have no idea who you are quoting above but that wasn’t my statement.

FYI, racism is not that bad. We do not live in a racist society. I do not accept the liberal narrative that a significant percentage of Americans are racist. They may have biases as we all do but that doesn’t mean they intend harm or discriminate against others.

Racism exists and I do not deny there is a small segment of our society which is on the extreme right.

The writers of the Watchmen chose to emphasize a storyline which is simply not reflective of our America circa 2019.

The White America which exists today is vastly different than the one in Tulsa in 1921.
Of course, there should be more progress over time and that needs to continue as we evolve as a society. The writers chose to look back at America using the lens of 1921 and bringing it to current times.

FYI, racism is not that bad. We do not live in a racist society. I do not accept the liberal narrative that a significant percentage of Americans are racist. They may have biases as we all do but that doesn’t mean they intend harm or discriminate against others.

Racism exists and I do not deny there is a small segment of our society which is on the extreme right.

The writers of the Watchmen chose to emphasize a storyline which is simply not reflective of our America circa 2019.

The White America which exists today is vastly different than the one in Tulsa in 1921.
Of course, there should be more progress over time and that needs to continue as we evolve as a society. The writers chose to look back at America using the lens of 1921 and bringing it to current times.
First of all......that’s bold.

Second, it’s FICTION. You think there’s someone in Nigeria who watched Black Panther saying “That’s not what Africa is like!”

I’m sorry, but you do sound very fragile.

Reactions: 3 users
The Watchmen graphic novel is a little better with how it approaches its "alt-history", but it also takes place during the cold war era so it's a little easier to work with these things from a distance now. I am not a huge fan of the show, not because of the political nature of the content, but more because it is done a little ham handed where I think subtlety would've treated the material better.

Sorry, but this just sounds whiney to me. The fact that you are uncomfortable means the art is doing its job. Art is supposed to be biased and not objective. Keep watching. You, yourself, said the show opened your eyes to a little piece of our history that you were not aware of. That’s good. Is your discomfort any different than the recent media discomfort over The Joker for glorifying violence and anti-social behavior?

I haven't seen the series, but I read the book after hearing such rave reviews for the series. I thought the alternative history idea was unique and I was prepared to enjoy the book. I finished thinking, is that it? Such a unique idea and that is all he could do with it? I was severely disappointed.

I didn't read the book, only watched (most of) the series, but I had similar disappointment. Really amazing production quality.

I couldn't stand the lead actress, and her constant gutwrenching anxious voice, but I put up with her because the other characters were so compelling and well acted. It was a really interesting window into how the USA and all its basically decent normal people could've become part of the Reich.

But then ... it just kind of drifted off into silly magic stuff ... and I'm not sure I can even remember when I quit looking forward to the next episode.

I didn't read the book, only watched (most of) the series, but I had similar disappointment. Really amazing production quality.

I couldn't stand the lead actress, and her constant gutwrenching anxious voice, but I put up with her because the other characters were so compelling and well acted. It was a really interesting window into how the USA and all its basically decent normal people could've become part of the Reich.

But then ... it just kind of drifted off into silly magic stuff ... and I'm not sure I can even remember when I quit looking forward to the next episode.

We're not alone in our takes that this book/story got strange.....

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 11.58.11 AM.png

Sorry, but this just sounds whiney to me. The fact that you are uncomfortable means the art is doing its job. Art is supposed to be biased and not objective. Keep watching. You, yourself, said the show opened your eyes to a little piece of our history that you were not aware of. That’s good. Is your discomfort any different than the recent media discomfort over The Joker for glorifying violence and anti-social behavior?

I guess the fact that Joker has broken sales records in theaters is testament to the current state of affairs in our society. Whatever sells no matter the message is the mantra these days.

I admit the media's portrayal over who were the "good guys" just 2 decades ago was skewed in some aspects. But, these days the media has warped our concept of what we find acceptable behavior (or making excuses for bad behavior) to a level I find alarming.

I, for one, long for the good old days when we had wholesome, family oriented cinema like a clockwork orange, death wish, the godfather, dirty harry, taxi driver, and deliverance.

Reactions: 8 users
I guess the fact that Joker has broken sales records in theaters is testament to the current state of affairs in our society. Whatever sells no matter the message is the mantra these days.

I admit the media's portrayal over who were the "good guys" just 2 decades ago was skewed in some aspects. But, these days the media has warped our concept of what we find acceptable behavior (or making excuses for bad behavior) to a level I find alarming.

I haven't seen Joker. But I'm sort of finding myself agreeing with you. Does that mean I'm getting old? :)

I, for one, long for the good old days when we had wholesome, family oriented cinema like a clockwork orange, death wish, the godfather, dirty harry, taxi driver, and deliverance.

I do think it's a little different today. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic. But the violence in those films had a narrative purpose. There was a moral, or at least some meaning to those stories. I'm not saying all movies need to be art with layers of meaning. Lowbrow entertainment is OK.

I watched the 2nd John Wick movie a couple days ago.

I got kind of bored with the endless (nicely filmed, well choreographed, implausible, subtly impregnated with product placement ads, but most of all endless) fight scenes where a couple dozen guys get murdered by a protagonist the audience supports and cheers on.

I finished that movie thinking, wait, was there someone in that film I was supposed to like or respect, aside from Keanu's dog? I'm not exactly squeamish, certainly not anti-gun, totally OK with the role of violence in art and entertainment, but ... WTF? Keanu Reeves is an irredeemable evil POS in this film, and the film unapologetically, non-ironically, genuinely presents him as the protagonist. I'm not sure when exactly that kind of film making became cool, but it was after the ones you listed.

Some racists live in a world of denial to a point that even a work of fiction makes them uncomfortable.
Seriously? Are you calling Blade racist? Or am I misunderstanding you, friend? :confused:

IMO, some of us are just getting old.

I'm not sure how much of it has anything to do with liberal vs conservative in so much that I think today people are very fascinated by the "flawed/tragic hero" in which I would say the bolded statement is absolutely correct. Think of the great dramas of recent days who had main characters as 'the tragic hero'. The Sopranos. The Shield. Breaking Bad. House of Cards. The Wire. Power. I would say you're correct but I would also again say that "it's just fiction" and if it's not your cup of tea then there's plenty of other content out there. The networks are going to continue to do "what works" and what "earns statues" and given the critical acclaim of the dramas I named I don't see network execs making any drastic changes.

Going back to "Joker", I personally would've much rather seen a Dark Knight movie with an interesting portrayal of The Riddler or Penguin rather than a 4th version of the Joker, but that's just me.

A few months back some right wingers got a movie about rural conservatives who kick the ass of wealthy globalists ("The Hunt") killed such that it may never be released, and now I guess some of the same dislike an alternative history where Robert Redford has been President for decades and liberal policies have been passed without opposition leading to racial strife?! I'm being a bit sarcastic here, BTW. I happen to have really loved the first two episodes of "Watchmen", and I do feel that the existential threat of the cold war (nuclear annihilation) in the comic is being effectively echoed in the show with the existential threats of our time (racism, white nationalism, and authoritarianism). Plus Regina King kicks ass in everything she does.

Racism and White Nationalism. I tried to find out how many people are members of these "hate" groups or share their beliefs. While I know these people exist and there are thousands of them I couldn't find a number. Is it 10,000? 20,000? 50,000? The reason it is so hard to actual;ly find a number is because OPEN racism isn't tolerated in our society. These people must go underground. Their "philosophy" is not well-received when they parade around with KKK robes or swastikas. They had to change their rhetoric to appear to be more palatable and gain membership. The real "hard-core" Alt-right murderers and anti-social members likely number just a few thousand. But, I suspect the "underground" membership which consists of "sympathizers" is much larger.
This is the group that won't openly appear racist but share some of the ideology of the far right.

The threat from these groups while real is considerably diminished vs 1910-1960 when white men could openly parade around in white KKK robes.

"...the Alt-Right remains in a weakened state. The movement hoped it would be able to transition from the Internet into the real world, becoming a normal part of American politics. That has not happened. These data further indicate that the potential constituency for the kind of politics the Alt-Right advocates is relatively small. Majorities of white Americans reject the basic premises of white identity politics, and only a small minority agree with all of them. This does not mean the radical right is not a problem that can be safely ignored. More work needs to be done, but knowing the individual characteristics associated with far-right views is a useful initial step."

George Hawley is an assistant professor of political science at the University of Alabama. His books include Demography, Culture, and the Decline of America's Christian Denominations and Making Sense of the Alt-Right.

By this logic Blade I should be angry at Snowfall or The Wire because here are more shows with black guys and gangsters and drug dealers. Does it bother me? Maybe, especially if the show isn't good (looking at you Power) but I also have the choice to just not watch it. I just think it's a stretch to say that HBO is pushing an agenda. I could be wrong.

By this logic Blade I should be angry at Snowfall or The Wire because here are more shows with black guys and gangsters and drug dealers. Does it bother me? Maybe, especially if the show isn't good (looking at you Power) but I also have the choice to just not watch it. I just think it's a stretch to say that HBO is pushing an agenda. I could be wrong.

Not sure if it is HBO or the writers focusing so heavily on the White Nationalists as the theme of the story line. The "Watchmen" I though were going to be on HBO would resemble the movie version. That's not what I got so it irked me a bit.

The Wire needed more Omar. That dude was awesome.

I haven't seen Joker. But I'm sort of finding myself agreeing with you. Does that mean I'm getting old? :)

I do think it's a little different today. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic. But the violence in those films had a narrative purpose. There was a moral, or at least some meaning to those stories. I'm not saying all movies need to be art with layers of meaning. Lowbrow entertainment is OK.

I watched the 2nd John Wick movie a couple days ago.

I got kind of bored with the endless (nicely filmed, well choreographed, implausible, subtly impregnated with product placement ads, but most of all endless) fight scenes where a couple dozen guys get murdered by a protagonist the audience supports and cheers on.

I finished that movie thinking, wait, was there someone in that film I was supposed to like or respect, aside from Keanu's dog? I'm not exactly squeamish, certainly not anti-gun, totally OK with the role of violence in art and entertainment, but ... WTF? Keanu Reeves is an irredeemable evil POS in this film, and the film unapologetically, non-ironically, genuinely presents him as the protagonist. I'm not sure when exactly that kind of film making became cool, but it was after the ones you listed.

I think "narrative purpose" is a weeee bit generous when talking about some of the violence featured in A Clockwork Orange or Deliverance. But regardless, John Wick is, despite its RT rating, a pretty lowbrow, comic book, full-on suspension of disbelief franchise, and I don't consider it to be in the category of the films I would use to judge an era of whether its action films were "art" or were full of narrative purpose.

There are plenty of films made this century (Mad Max: Fury Road, Kill Bill, Bourne Series, Collateral, Logan, the Nolan films, Casino Royale, District 9 etc) which I think do fit that bill quite nicely.

I think "narrative purpose" is a weeee bit generous when talking about some of the violence featured in A Clockwork Orange or Deliverance. But regardless, John Wick is, despite its RT rating, a pretty lowbrow, comic book, full-on suspension of disbelief franchise, and I don't consider it to be in the category of the films I would use to judge an era of whether its action films were "art" or were full of narrative purpose.

There are plenty of films made this century (Mad Max: Fury Road, Kill Bill, Bourne Series, Collateral, Logan, the Nolan films, Casino Royale, District 9 etc) which I think do fit that bill quite nicely.

The funny thing about A Clockwork Orange is the violence as it pertains to free will and human nature is one of the central themes of the story. You can’t have A Clockwork Orange without the violence.

I actually think we’ve gone in the opposite direction when it comes to portrayals of violence in films and such. John Wick, as an example, is very obviously cartoonish and exists in a fantasy world. When I saw The Joker I thought to myself that there is no way this movie gets made today if it is not somehow incorporated into the superhero genre. The Joker is really just a modern day Taxi Driver (I don’t think DeNiro being cast in the movie was an accident), but in order for it to get made today we have to put it in Gotham City instead of New York City. The violent movies from the 70s-90s had a gritty realism that lacks from similar depictions of violence in movies today.

Racism and White Nationalism. I tried to find out how many people are members of these "hate" groups or share their beliefs. While I know these people exist and there are thousands of them I couldn't find a number. Is it 10,000? 20,000? 50,000? The reason it is so hard to actual;ly find a number is because OPEN racism isn't tolerated in our society. These people must go underground. Their "philosophy" is not well-received when they parade around with KKK robes or swastikas. They had to change their rhetoric to appear to be more palatable and gain membership. The real "hard-core" Alt-right murderers and anti-social members likely number just a few thousand. But, I suspect the "underground" membership which consists of "sympathizers" is much larger.
This is the group that won't openly appear racist but share some of the ideology of the far right.

The threat from these groups while real is considerably diminished vs 1910-1960 when white men could openly parade around in white KKK robes.

I would say racist transgressions live on a spectrum from aloof, unintentional, ignorant all the way to egregiously intentional. It's probably not unreasonable to assume the vast majority of instances of racism are not egregiously intentional. The egregious and intentional acts of racism would probably be considered "open racism." I think one thing that may be overlooked is that racism on the mild end of the spectrum, entirely aloof or subtle racism can have just as severe consequences on the vulnerable party as the most severe, intentionally deleterious acts.

Some people were/are. ;)

To be fair, I havent watched the new watchmen or snowfall, but I dont think many would disagree that the wire contained an extremely complex depiction of life in Baltimore. It was full of nuanced storylines and very well-developed characters, and the show never really felt like it was telling you what to think. It just put all the joy, happiness, tragedy, and misery on the table and said, "well, here you go, do what you will."

Having grown up in Tulsa in the 50s through the 1970s, I found the city to have advanced somewhat during that era to the point it was reluctantly accepting of the black population that existed in a relatively small area on the edge of town. As long as they remained in their enclave. There was overt racism, not the least of which was my grandfather, who was very outspoken against blacks. We had no lynchings in Tulsa in my time, and the 1921 event was not even covered in school. It existed only in the hushed conversations that were truncated when anyone came within earshot, and the little that was known by the white public was constrained to the ill-defined term "race riot". My high school that contained 10th-12th grades had only a handful of blacks, and I had few classes with any during the entire 3 years. My grandfather's generation was peppered with many individuals in Tulsa that would have joined the Klan had it been available but by the time I passed my time in the there, the blacks were not hated, but neither were they embraced in inclusion by the nearly all white society. They were more of a curiosity, that had their own area of town and employment and entertainment that only rarely allowed any significant interaction with whites. The town was segregated by both white and black choice and it wasn't until forced busing and redrawn school district lines came about was there any intermingling. When these both failed over and over again, the school district adopted a brilliant plan that took the best teachers and those teaching very desired subjects from all the schools, and placed them all at Booker T. Washington High School in black Tulsa. White students were limited by application to the school and the response was overwhelming with the first major breakthrough in segregation. I moved away many decades ago, so have no idea what the city is like now, but growing up there I could only barely appreciate the cost of racism to society since the blacks and whites had reached a sort of détente.

Reactions: 3 users
Seriously? Are you calling Blade racist? Or am I misunderstanding you, friend? :confused:

IMO, some of us are just getting old.
What I said was a general statement about all those who are racists but live in denial.
But since you brought up Blade then why not? If someone makes racist and xenophobic statements all the time, why would it be such a surprise to you that he might simply be a racist and xenophobe?
As for getting old... yes, it's a fact of life my friend!

After reading this thread, I watched the first episode and I find it quite fascinating that this was the conclusion you drew from the first episode alone.

The chief protagonist in the first episode is a white male. There are numerous white characters interacting without racism throughout. I don't even see how you came up with the idea of "they seek to kill or separate black Americans from the white race."

Is it really that difficult to imagine a storyline where a white supremacist organization sows terror? Or is that word simply reserved for non-white violence?

What I said was a general statement about all those who are racists but live in denial.
But since you brought up Blade then why not? If someone makes racist and xenophobic statements all the time, why would it be such a surprise to you that he might simply be a racist and xenophobe?
As for getting old... yes, it's a fact of life my friend!
I don't know. Blade has never struck me as racist or xenophobic, but you've read him longer. That's why I was asking, kind of "what am I missing here?". Thank you for your answer. I was also curious what his reaction would be to my question. I must be on his ignore list. :)

I think people can come across the wrong way to strangers, especially on the Internet. It's very easy to misunderstand somebody and to attribute the wrong intentions to them. That's why I like to clear up the exact meaning and intention, especially with somebody I have a lot of respect for professionally.

I also think it's absolutely normal and instinctual to be tribal within certain limits. I don't blame people for that.

Calling someone racist is just another personal attack by Plankton on me. He has engaged in these attacks against me for almost a decade. This is a new low for him but it is what I have come to expect from those that choose to degrade those with whom they either disagree with or simply dislike.

My posts about an HBO series was intended to spark some discussion without name calling or accusations. But, with the climate on SDN these days I should know better.

I’ll continue to watch the show but I’m not enamored with the plot or the alt history so I’ll likely lose interest at some point.