Married to a French women, does that qualify me for EU status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ephesus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm married to a French woman, does that qualify me for EU status so I can enter medical school and residency without problems in the UK? (I want to live there forever, however, I am currently not in the UK).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...

First, as your wife is French, can you gain French nationality after a certain period? Where do you live now and how long have you been married?

If you can get French nationality, then things will be easier.

Medical Schools vary so, if you have French (and therefore EU status), then you are generally entitled to EU fees provided you have lived in the EU for 3 years or more and NOT in full time education.

When you graduate, you are not required to have a work permit to work (as a French national), and thus in theory can apply for postgraduate medical training in the UK.(assuming rules have remained the same for the next 6-7 years by the time you graduate).

If you can't get French nationality, then you must pay overseas fee status in the UK which currently is anything > £12000+ per year (not including books, living expenses, etc etc).

Good luck! :luck:

I am not sure when I'll get nationality. We recently got married, but we will live in Vienna for 3 years before I go to the UK to study (hopefully medicine). I think you have to live *in* France to get French nationality. If I can't get it, will I still be able to train medicine and get a job in the NHS system in the UK? Or do I need to start looking at research jobs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you ring up your local french embassy/consulate? They will definately be able to answer any questions regarding you obtaining french residency. In fact, getting french nationality is probably the best method of sorting out your immigration and university fee status. Living in Vienna (being in an EU country) for 3 years will CURRENTLY (together with EU status) to pay "HOME/EU" fees at the university which is drastically cheaper than overseas fees.

Worst case is you don't get french nationality, you can apply for a residence card via your wife called an EEA family member residence permit. Good news is that it is free! :)

Bear in mind that you must be competitive enough to get into UK medical schools. It is a long road but good luck!

I plan to do a foundation year in the hard sciences so they know I can do their work. Worst case, I find a neuroscience program and apply.

I will call the consulate today - hopefully they will be helpful.

Chris