Married students- NHSC, HPSP, other?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgeyer15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my wife and I are entering school in the fall and are trying to determine how we want to pay for our schooling. As most of us already know, there are a few options. First off, we could take out loans... that is a LOT of debt for two married medical students, especially since we are going to an osteopathic school which is typically more expensive than allopathic schools. Yes, we could eventually pay off our debts with two physician incomes, but we are mainly becoming physicians to travel on overseas medical mission trips and would love to not have the debt hanging over our shoulders if possible. Secondly, there is the National Health Service Corps, which is a great program for people wanting to work in rural medicine. We definitely do, but the Health Professions Shortage Area has to now have a score of 17 or higher, which reduces the number of qualified areas and we're concerned that it would be difficult for both of us to receive the same location (or vicinity). Also, we would like to become oncologists (or at least have the option to), and it seems like we wouldn't be able to do that if we did NHSC (please correct me if I'm wrong). Finally, there is the military... Air Force, Navy, Army. It sounds great. Debt-free, monthly-stipends, potential to travel and see the world while being paid by the military. Awesome deal. However, like the NHSC, we're concerned that we would not be able to be stationed together (although I hear it is easier to do so with similar career-fields), and I don't like the possibility of being deployed at separate times. Could a HPSP receipent or someone that knows of the program fairly well tell me whether you can request to be deployed if you have already been so? You know, if my wife is deployed after I come back from deployment, could I just be shipped off with her? We'd rather live anywhere in the world together, than living apart. I understand this is a long post, but I have been studying these topics for awhile and I seem to be coming to a brick wall. Any advice, opinions, information would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.