This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mesptschool19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently applying to schools in the New York area and was looking into Marist's new program. From my understanding, they are currently not accredited. Their website states:

Marist College has been granted Candidate for Accreditation status by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education. Candidate for Accreditation is a pre-accreditation status of affiliation with the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education that indicates that the program is progressing toward accreditation and may matriculate students in technical/professional courses. Candidate for Accreditation is not an accreditation status nor does it assure eventual accreditation. Graduation from a PT education program accredited by CAPTE is necessary for eligibility to sit for the licensure examination, which is required in all states. Pending receipt of accreditation status, students will be eligible to take the licensure examination in January 2021.

What does this mean? They are in the process of being accredited but not yet accredited? Also, what does it mean to attend a unaccredited program?

Does anyone know anything (good or bad) about the program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm currently applying to schools in the New York area and was looking into Marist's new program. From my understanding, they are currently not accredited. Their website states:

Marist College has been granted Candidate for Accreditation status by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education. Candidate for Accreditation is a pre-accreditation status of affiliation with the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education that indicates that the program is progressing toward accreditation and may matriculate students in technical/professional courses. Candidate for Accreditation is not an accreditation status nor does it assure eventual accreditation. Graduation from a PT education program accredited by CAPTE is necessary for eligibility to sit for the licensure examination, which is required in all states. Pending receipt of accreditation status, students will be eligible to take the licensure examination in January 2021.

What does this mean? They are in the process of being accredited but not yet accredited? Also, what does it mean to attend a unaccredited program?

Does anyone know anything (good or bad) about the program?

Thanks!
Hi, I go to Marist. I posted about this in a different thread I think you are on, so this may be repetitive.
We are a brand-new program - I'm in their first & only cohort. I'm fuzzy on exact background details, but I do know we are on track to be accredited when we graduate in Dec 2020. So it's not like we were accredited and screwed up and lost it (which happens to some programs....) - it's just the growing pains and necessary steps of being a brand-new program. Our director used to direct a different DPT program for a number of years, so she is very experienced with successfully running a DPT program. So sure, it is a little nerve-wracking, but we all are confident that we will be fine. Marist is an excellent school who also just recently got their brand-new PA program accredited. I grew up around here and was already familiar with Marist's wonderful reputation, watched them build the building we are housed in, and knew of the years of work going into creating the program, so I felt/feel comfortable that we will be accredited.
I don't think it "means" anything - other than if God forbid we weren't accredited, we would not be eligible to sit for the Boards, and it also means you can't transfer to another DPT program (which is almost impossible to do anyway).
Look at it this way - all DPT programs had to start somewhere! Trust me, I completely understand the concern - it sounds and feels like a risk. But if it helps, that's my take on it, and having just finished two tri's, I still feel confident that we will be accredited. So far, the program has been great (I mean.....as far as stressful graduate school goes!), no real complaints beyond normal stressed-out student complaints!