Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted… anyone know how much WL movement there is?

Members don't see this ad.

The first installment of the MU-COM DOCTOR Series is in the portal now for accepted and deposited students. The DO Series is a follow-up to the popular Advantage Series.

The topic of Volume 1 is the Accepted Student Open House on March 6—7th. The following information is included:
  • Program Agenda (attached)
  • Campus Map
  • Travel Information
  • Directions
  • Hotel Accommodations
The RSVP form will go live next week. The RSVP deadline is March 1.

Admissions

Attachments

• MUCOM_OpenHouseAgenda_Feb15-final.pdf
    480.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently, there are 7 interview days remaining for the entering fall 2015 class.

MU-COM

I saw MU-COM has 7 interview days remaining for the entering fall 2015 class. When is your last interview day scheduled? I haven't heard back about an interview and getting anxious. This is my first pick.

I just got wait-listed. Damn. Anyone come off the wait -list?

Accepted! First acceptance! Interviewed 2/7/15. OOS. MCAT 10-9-9 (retake). cGPA 3.65. sGPA 3.5. Got the call at 4pm EST. So excited for this school!!!! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Was called this afternoon, Accepted as well! Was in the interview on 2/7/15. OOS. MCAT 30 (11/9/10), cGPA 3.48, sGPA 3.42. Hopefully going to the open house in march to learn more about the school. Really impressed by the interview day, and their promptness.

I saw MU-COM has 7 interview days remaining for the entering fall 2015 class. When is your last interview day scheduled? I haven't heard back about an interview and getting anxious. This is my first pick.

April 11th.

Those of you that are admitted the apartments on campus application is online

Accepted yesterday. So happy! So impressed by everything about this school - curriculum, faculty, administration, facilities... Everything. My numbers are X.X/XX. Good luck to all still waiting. I certainly understand how stressful this process is.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I went through MU COM's catalog to try to get a better handle on the class schedule for years 1-2; since it has the modified organ system approach and non-integer credits for some of the courses, is that an indication that the courses are block-style?

Accepted yesterday. So happy! So impressed by everything about this school - curriculum, faculty, administration, facilities... Everything. My numbers are 3.8/28. Good luck to all still waiting. I certainly understand how stressful this process is.
Congrats! Did you get a good picture of the curriculum/schedule for the first 2 years? I'm trying to assess programs based on my learning style, but the information is not all that available.

I went through MU COM's catalog to try to get a better handle on the class schedule for years 1-2; since it has the modified organ system approach and non-integer credits for some of the courses, is that an indication that the courses are block-style?

Our curriculum is a block schedule. The curriculum is previewed in our viewbook and online. A more detailed view is given on Interview Day then admits get access to sample week-by-week schedules.

The curriculum uses a variety of learning styles including lectures, cases, group work, and labs--as well as early clinical experiences and interprofessional education.

Admissions

Reactions: 1 users
Dear MU-COM,

I am interested in writing a letter of intent after my interview. I would like to know who I should address in my letter and how I should send it.

Thank you.

Hey :hello: I'm a current second year at MU-COM.

I'm not sure what information is available to you, but yes the courses are block style. You will always be taking OMM and ICM (our clinical medicine course) throughout a semester with 1 (or sometimes 2) science-based systems courses simultaneously. I overall really like it. I personally think quarters or semesters are really long and drawn out, and this way it gives a good 3-6 weeks (the length obviously depends on the depth of the course) to focus on one topic.

Hey :hello: I'm a current second year at MU-COM.

I'm not sure what information is available to you, but yes the courses are block style. You will always be taking OMM and ICM (our clinical medicine course) throughout a semester with 1 (or sometimes 2) science-based systems courses simultaneously. I overall really like it. I personally think quarters or semesters are really long and drawn out, and this way it gives a good 3-6 weeks (the length obviously depends on the depth of the course) to focus on one topic.

Hello,

have you had experience with the mentoring program they started with local physicians (1/2 day once a month if I'm not mistaken). ?

Thanks

Just got my acceptance - didn't even have to wait a full week. Really excited about coming here. Time to cancel my spot at another school!

When I applied to MU-COM, I must have overlooked the Biochem pre-req or thought I could substitute Organic chemistry. Anyways, I have an interview scheduled soon. My question is this: If I have not taken Biochem (lecture) and do not plan to, should I cancel my interview?

When I applied to MU-COM, I must have overlooked the Biochem pre-req or thought I could substitute Organic chemistry. Anyways, I have an interview scheduled soon. My question is this: If I have not taken Biochem (lecture) and do not plan to, should I cancel my interview?

Canceling is not necessary. If admitted, you would need to complete a 3 credit biochemistry class before the start of orientation in August.

Admissions

You could probably take it online, if necessary. University of New England (http://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/) or UC Berkeley Extension (http://extension.berkeley.edu/static/online/) both have biochemistry. Good luck!

Canceling is not necessary. If admitted, you would need to complete a 3 credit biochemistry class before the start of orientation in August.

Admissions
If admitted, are the online courses through UNE or Berkeley accepted or does the class need to be taken in person?

I am on the fence about this school and would love an input from a current student.

1. The school website emphasies a lot about research, how many of you have actually participated in research? And how approachable professors are about a chance to work under them?

2. With this school being quite recent, are the rotations, as far as you know, many and diverse? What I mean to say is that are you pigeonholed into GP like field or do you have enough resources for different specialties?

3. What made MUCOM, a school for you? What I mean to say is that I am sure most if not all of you got accepted to more than one osteopathic school, so why MUCOM?

4. I see this school has a religious background, having started from Sisters of St Francis, I guesss what I am getting around is, how much focus is religious based. Is the school like say Liberty in Virginia?

5. From what I researched, they have new housing, is housing included in the tuition?

The housing is called overlook at Riverdale you can look it up online

4. I see this school has a religious background, having started from Sisters of St Francis, I guesss what I am getting around is, how much focus is religious based. Is the school like say Liberty in Virginia?
The religious influence discussion has already been done in this thread. Please take the time to read it. I'll only add that on my interview day, two medical students both identified themselves as non-religious and said the only times they've found discussions of religion within a teaching context was as it applied to encountering various patients' beliefs.

It is a new school, but from what I can see, they're building it right. I gave up my interview slot next month, so I hope someone here gets it.

I am on the fence about this school and would love an input from a current student.

I asked this same question to both a student and faculty member when I interviewed at Marian. They both responded that aside from there being crosses in the rooms and a chapel in the building, religion is almost a non-issue. I actually discussed the comparison to Liberty with the faculty member and came away from the conversation feeling very confident that the religious background of the school will not affect the quality of education there. I'd be curious to hear the perspectives from more students though.

I was very impressed with Marian overall.

Good luck with your decision!

1. The school website emphasies a lot about research, how many of you have actually participated in research? And how approachable professors are about a chance to work under them?

2. With this school being quite recent, are the rotations, as far as you know, many and diverse? What I mean to say is that are you pigeonholed into GP like field or do you have enough resources for different specialties?

3. What made MUCOM, a school for you? What I mean to say is that I am sure most if not all of you got accepted to more than one osteopathic school, so why MUCOM?

5. From what I researched, they have new housing, is housing included in the tuition?

Research is important to our faculty, but teaching comes first.

150 of our 162 students (93%) will spend their entire 3rd year and most of year 4 in downtown Indy at any one of 30 hospitals. Our other 30 hospital affiliations are across the state in urban, rural, and suburban environments. Please review the clerkship section of our website for more info about years 3 and 4.

The cost of the apartments is not included in the tuition.

Admissions

We meet every two weeks to review applications on hold for an initial interview decision. It generally takes 30 days unless we are waiting on more info (grades or MCAT).

Admissions

Any word on when the committee will be meeting next to review applications on hold? I was placed on hold on Nov. 7th until I could supply Fall semester grades. Then, I submitted my transcript to AACOMAS on Dec. 26th which was verified/resent to MU-COM on Jan 14th. I have yet to hear anything after that...should I be worried that it got lost or overlooked?

Any word on when the committee will be meeting next to review applications on hold? I was placed on hold on Nov. 7th until I could supply Fall semester grades. Then, I submitted my transcript to AACOMAS on Dec. 26th which was verified/resent to MU-COM on Jan 14th. I have yet to hear anything after that...should I be worried that it got lost or overlooked?

The committee generally meets every other Tuesday to review pre-interview holds. January 14th is a long time not to hear back from us. Contact Bryan at [email protected] to confirm your updated grades were received. Finally, a copy of every email Marian has sent you is stored in your portal under the check status tab.

Admissions

The committee generally meets every other Tuesday to review pre-interview holds. January 14th is a long time not to hear back from us. Contact Bryan at [email protected] to confirm your updated grades were received. Finally, a copy of every email Marian has sent you is stored in your portal under the check status tab.

Admissions
Thanks! I'll contact Bryan

I would like to known the same. When is the time you usually see movement on the wait-list?

While some movement has started, most will take place after May 1st.

In April, look for an email to "confirm" your desire to remain on the alternate list through the summer.

Admissions

So one of the big points of choosing MU-COM in Indiana over acceptances at schools in NY and California, was that there is less competition for good clinical rotations and other educational opportunities.

I just noticed this :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_University_School_of_Medicine_-_Evansville

A class of 80 probably isn't that big of a deal, and won't affect me - since they won't even be open until 2017 at the earliest, but it did get me thinking about how the clinical education distribution is at the hospitals MU-COM is currently working with for 3/4th year clinicals?

@MU COM
Are the majority of the 3rd year core sites, in cooperation with IU, as in the preceptors and clinical faculty have taught students before or are some of the sites first time with having medical students in the hospital etc?

This is more-so a curiosity post and not meant to be negative at all :)

Re: the Evansville location, there is already an IU campus there with with 16 students. Now they will just offer more 3rd and 4th year rotations in southern Indiana.

Do you happen to know (roughly) when the next committee meeting for the alternate list is?