Manuscripts "In Press" vs "Accepted"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

When preparing a CV and listing one's publications, is there a difference between the terms "In Press" vs "Accepted"?

Judging from the vernacular, "In Press" seems to suggest that the manuscript is further along the publication process than something "Accepted", but is there any widely accepted distinction between the two phrases or are they the same?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi folks

When preparing a CV and listing one's publications, is there a difference between the terms "In Press" vs "Accepted"?

Judging from the vernacular, "In Press" seems to suggest that the manuscript is further along the publication process than something "Accepted", but is there any widely accepted distinction between the two phrases or are they the same?

Thanks.

At the time you have a letter from the journal editor indicating that your paper has been accepted for publication, you may list it as "In press" on your CV. This is the standard CV term. Note that nowadays you should keep an eye out on pubmed. Many medical journals will place some or all accepted manuscripts on line very rapidly after acceptance, even while they are still editing them. Once it appears on pubmed, you can put the pubmed listing on your CV so whoever is interested can find the actual article.

Reactions: 1 user
At the time you have a letter from the journal editor indicating that your paper has been accepted for publication, you may list it as "In press" on your CV. This is the standard CV term. Note that nowadays you should keep an eye out on pubmed. Many medical journals will place some or all accepted manuscripts on line very rapidly after acceptance, even while they are still editing them. Once it appears on pubmed, you can put the pubmed listing on your CV so whoever is interested can find the actual article.

:eek:

Is that to mean "even while they are still peer-reviewing them"?

How would that work? Someone could cite "errors" in the article that are yet to be corrected.

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek:

Is that to mean "even while they are still peer-reviewing them"?

How would that work? Someone could cite "errors" in the article that are yet to be corrected.

No, the way it works (I am a journal editor in my spare time...) is that the journal FIRST accepts your manuscript after completion of peer-review and rebuttal, etc. There may still be some "warts" in it, but no manuscript is perfect, even when accepted. Then, the journal may choose to put your unedited draft online. It will be done with a statement that it is not the final version. Later, they will generally replace it on line with the edited version, often no long in "word" format but in actual journal format.. Usually, once accepted there are only minor changes in the manuscript that make it fit the journal's formatting. Things like changing mg/kg/d to use -1 instead of slashes to indicate "per".

Once the paper appears in the published hard-copy journal, then the pdf of that version becomes the official version and all earlier versions disappear or are no longer official versions.

Oooh...

Now that you mention it, yes I think I've come across something like that before. A manuscript that I downloaded which was not type-set yet (it was still in PDF-Word format).

True true.