Abstract vs Manuscript Submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SciClin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all. I was wondering what the difference between submitting an abstract and submitting a manuscript is.

Yes, I know what the two are; however, I am still a bit unsure of the entire process. Being around "basic science" people nearly all of the time, I've only been recently exposed to clinical research. From my understanding of publishing in places like JBiolChem, submitting something = submitting a manuscript.

I ended up doing clinical research with a physician I knew, and my name will be listed as one of the authors in the abstract she is submitting. Would this count as a publication?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually you submit an abstract to be considered as a presenter at a specific conference or research meeting, whereas you submit a complete journal manuscript for publication in a peer-reviewed research journal. In clinical research it is common (though not necessary) to present recently completed work or work still in progress prior to submitting a journal manuscript.

Reactions: 1 user
Usually you submit an abstract to be considered as a presenter at a specific conference or research meeting, whereas you submit a complete journal manuscript for publication in a peer-reviewed research journal. In clinical research it is common (though not necessary) to present recently completed work or work still in progress prior to submitting a journal manuscript.

Thanks for getting back to me. Would you say it's necessary to attend these conferences if I am considered an author? I just realized the conference will conflict with my finals schedule (NLA conference).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for getting back to me. Would you say it's necessary to attend these conferences if I am considered an author? I just realized the conference will conflict with my finals schedule (NLA conference).

No, it's not necessary. Typically only one of the authors presents the work. If you were to present on behalf of your co-authors it could be a nice experience, but it's not worth skipping finals for sure! Hopefully there will be other opportunities for you in the future. If the abstract is accepted, you can still put it on your CV. :)

No, it's not necessary. Typically only one of the authors presents the work. If you were to present on behalf of your co-authors it could be a nice experience, but it's not worth skipping finals for sure! Hopefully there will be other opportunities for you in the future. If the abstract is accepted, you can still put it on your CV. :)

Great! Thanks for the insight :)