Malpractice and lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemamr

PGY2
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) hi guys, i´m interested in IM residency and gastroenterology (after). however, i have some doubts about it, cause i didn´t have any clinical rotation in gastroenterology.
1) how is the lifestyle of an attending gastroenterologist?, how many hours/week do they work?, do they take care of any urgency (are there)?

2) how much does it cost a malpractice insurance for a gastroenterologist?

3) is it an "invasive" area?, what kind of invasive or "surgical" procedures do they usually do?

thank you guys, i really like this area but unfortunately i didn´t have a rotation so i missed somethings. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I may not be the "go-to" guy on this subject (UIC Class of 2010) but I do have several hundred hours of GI exposure, as a research coordinator. My PI is the Chief of Gastro/Hepat at UCSF and he is busy.

He does roughly 8-10 procedures/day, but some days are slower than others (with like 1-2 procedures). It just seems like he never has a break. Mind you, he is the only GI doc at the moment at this UMC (I don't think his 50-60 hr/week load is normal).

He does some fairly noninvasive procedures EGD's, Colo's, Liver Bx's from 8:30 to about 1:00 and has the rest of the day to deal with our clinical trials and research papers (5 trials and 4 more in the pipeline).

It seems like an awesome specialty with great potential. I am getting co-authorship on 3 papers and hope to build on that over the next 4 yrs.

Is there any way to secure a combined IM + GI fellowship right out of med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for answering me,

so in average how many hours/week does he work???,

doesn´t he have a private practice?

do you know if they have many or a few urgencies?

chemamr said:
thanks for answering me,

so in average how many hours/week does he work???,

doesn´t he have a private practice?

do you know if they have many or a few urgencies?

1. I'd say he works about 50hrs/week. (maybe a little more related to clinical trial research being conducted, but its rare for a GI doc to have 5 national clinical trials that are enrolling patients concurrently- it can get hectic.)

2. He is not in a private practice.

3. There are several times this past year in which he's had to run to the ICU or ER and do an emergency procedure. I am not sure what procedure and how often it is, but he has done them.

Hope this helps!

:) sure it helps my dear colleague. Thanks so much. :thumbup:
good luck in your plans!