Lifestyle overall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trumppatel3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear GI is better overall than cards, nephr, pulm/crit. seems +/- with hospitalists, since hospitalists have more days off and less average hours but honestly they might have it worse than GI in the long run. Half the pay, plus have to work half the weekends of the year, and the weeks your on are no fun at all.

I hear the GI fellowship (esp first year) is bruising but that its reasonable to have a fairly chill practice, depending on what your $$$ goals are.

I don't care about money, could I have a GI practice gig where I have minimal call and a 40-50 hour week? It's cool if I make 300K instead of 500-600K (while living a reasonable city) . I am truly passionate about the pathophys and the field and culture of it, I just value free time more than anything.

To current attendings/fellows looking at job market: how much money will you make, what region do you live in, whats your lifestyle like? Would you do it again- was it pure passion for GI or factoring in income/lifestyle that were a big draw?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to make 300K you can work outpatient clinic for 4 days a week 8 hours each day.

or if you want to work 50 do procedures you can make the 500-600K 7:00-12:30 procedures, 1 to 5 patients, 1 hour a day Admin work if EHR-equipped and transcribed.
Call 1:5 or 1:3 depending on the place.

Everywhere I seen 4 weeks PTO, 5 days CME and 10 Holidays and the other good stuff.

Lifestyle for me is not that important.

Also interested in hearing more about the lifestyle from others

Also interested in hearing more about the lifestyle from others

Lifestyle and salary are highly dependent on practice environment and location. You can join a major academic center with 50-75 gastroenterologists and be on call 4-5 times a year, or a small private group with 2-4 and be on call every other day.