Making rank faster with prior service.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mazz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would I make O4 Faster if I have prior service in the military? Im very familiar with making rank on the enlisted side but im totally clueless when it comes to officer advancement.

Members don't see this ad.

You may not make rank faster but you will make more money. The pay formula takes time in service into account as well as rank.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would I make O4 Faster if I have prior service in the military? Im very familiar with making rank on the enlisted side but im totally clueless when it comes to officer advancement.

Only time you would make rank faster is if you were a prior service officer. Then you will receive constructive credit towards rank.

Only time you would make rank faster is if you were a prior service officer. Then you will receive constructive credit towards rank.

Do you know how much prior service as an officer makes a difference?

How many years until your below zone look without prior service? Does constructive credit mean adding the number of years as an O3 previously to your time in rank starting the day of commissioning following dental school?

Thanks.

Do you know how much prior service as an officer makes a difference?

How many years until your below zone look without prior service? Does constructive credit mean adding the number of years as an O3 previously to your time in rank starting the day of commissioning following dental school?

Thanks.

Army does not do below the zone considerations until you are going for your O-5 or O-6 boards. At that time you can get looked at after 4 yrs time in grade. O-4 is a fully qualified board - not competitive so nobody gets looked at BZ.

Constructive credit for officers is usually 1:2. For every 2 yrs in a differenent AOC they will give you 1 yr towards rank. I am not sure if this works the same for reserve/guard - but that is how it is for Active. So as an example: I had a friend that graduated the same time I did from a different dental school. She had been an MSC Officer for 6 yrs. She kept all her time in service towards pay (6 yrs), and her 6 yrs as an officer was converted to a dental CPT w/ 3 yrs towards rank. She was promoted a couple of years before I was even though we entered the same time.

Army does not do below the zone considerations until you are going for your O-5 or O-6 boards. At that time you can get looked at after 4 yrs time in grade. O-4 is a fully qualified board - not competitive so nobody gets looked at BZ.

Constructive credit for officers is usually 1:2. For every 2 yrs in a differenent AOC they will give you 1 yr towards rank. I am not sure if this works the same for reserve/guard - but that is how it is for Active. So as an example: I had a friend that graduated the same time I did from a different dental school. She had been an MSC Officer for 6 yrs. She kept all her time in service towards pay (6 yrs), and her 6 yrs as an officer was converted to a dental CPT w/ 3 yrs towards rank. She was promoted a couple of years before I was even though we entered the same time.
Same for AF

What is the normal time frame of promotion for <2 years of service (i.e. most HPSP students)? I heard it was 6 years?