Making a underdog school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhereMyLiberalsAt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm making an MD school list that might be friendly to underdogs... I have made a DO list already because I'm more knowledgeable about their admissions. I spent the other day going through the new MSAR and selecting every school that has no minimum GPA, and/or low posted minimum GPA. I took the MCAT 4/22 and I know I might be setting myself up for disappointment I'm just going off my FL 1/2 practice scores (510 & 511 respectively.) I'm going to list my grades out because I don't believe my GPA reflects my actual effort/knowledge/character. Went through some rough stuff my first year trying to do pre-reqs while working full-time. Took a year off and went at it again. I'm 28 and a non-URM.

Some of the semesters without heavy credits have general credits in there with A's in them.

Fall 2012
Gen Chem 1: F
Gen Chem lab 1: F
Bio 1: F
Bio 1 lab: F

Spring 2013

Fall 2014
Gen Chem 1: A
Gen Chem lab 1: A
Bio 1: A
Bio 1 lab: A

Spring 2015
Gen Chem 2: A
Gen Chem 2 lab: A
Bio 2: A
Bio 2 lab: A

Fall 2015
Orgo 1: A
Orgo 1 lab: A
Genetics: A
Genetics lab: A
Physics 1: B
Physics 1 lab: B
Rural Health Scholars: A

Spring 2016
Orgo 2: A
Orgo 2 lab: B
Microbiology: A-
Mirco lab: A
Physics 2: B+
Physics 2 lab: B+
Analysis/Reading in healthcare: A

Fall 2016
Communicable Disease: B+
Ecology: A

Spring 2017
Bio Chem: A
Bio Chem lab: A

4/22 MCAT: Hoping for at least my practice aamc practice exams (510-511)

This puts my sGPA 2.9 and cGPA 2.9

Research: Crap load of hours maybe 1 pub but I doubt in-time for apps.

EC: 800+ hours in non-healthcare, ~30 hours healthcare (I know this is low, but I have a hard time volunteering for organizations that have a wait-list.... I'm in a town with 2 universities so there are SOOOO MANY premeds doing typical or even unique healthcare volunteering.... I would rather help a organization that badly needs help than one that has arguably too much.)

Shadowing: 100+ DO, ~20 MD

Also I have mostly worked full-time during everything (I own my own etsy shop with my wife that takes up a lot of time but it pays for everything :) )

Some cool hobbies such as traveling and art that I'm proud of finding the time for them.

I'm not against doing a SMP, but honestly I do believe I have proven I can handle the classes. I'd rather just shoot for the stars the first time and try and save +30K on a reputable SMP. I also am aiming hard for DOs but I'm a hopeful man and throwing my hat in for MD won't hurt anything!

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong, but I think even for DO you want c/s GPAs >3.0.

The dramatic grade turnaround makes a convincing reinvention narrative. I don't think you need a SMP and if you're good with going DO, I think you should save the $30-60k. But, I do not think you should apply until those GPAs are above 3.0. Seems like that might only take another year of good coursework. Being a reapplicant is a huge disadvantage, and you should not apply until you have the strongest app possible (GPA>3.0, another year of ECs).

With a GPA slightly >3.0, DO is still your best bet, but adding a few MD schools might make some sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
From straight F's to straight A's... that's one hell of a turnaround. Did you just not show up those first 2 semesters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not go through a post-bacc and make your application even more competitive then apply?

From straight F's to straight A's... that's one hell of a turnaround. Did you just not show up those first 2 semesters?

Different wife, different life.... It was a hellish year.

Reactions: 3 users
I could be wrong, but I think even for DO you want c/s GPAs >3.0.

The dramatic grade turnaround makes a convincing reinvention narrative. I don't think you need a SMP and if you're good with going DO, I think you should save the $30-60k. But, I do not think you should apply until those GPAs are above 3.0. Seems like that might only take another year of good coursework. Being a reapplicant is a huge disadvantage, and you should not apply until you have the strongest app possible (GPA>3.0, another year of ECs).

With a GPA slightly >3.0, DO is still your best bet, but adding a few MD schools might make some sense.

Wow I didn't know a reapplicant was a "huge" disadvantage.... Ya you're right though after next year (virology, endocrinology, physiology, cell bio, and evo bio) I will be above a 3.0 if I hold my current trend. I asked my adviser (she really does try her best) and she said it wouldn't be that big of deal to reapply. I'm quite torn on this. Maybe I will just apply DO (I believe I can obtain a great education at DO and I do want to practice PC in rural america :) ).

I don't think that you need an SMP. There are MD schools and ALL DO that believe in redemption. Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can advice.

BTW, pay VERY careful attention to the acceptance info charts for each school. State schools favor the home team vs those from out of state.

I'm making an MD school list that might be friendly to underdogs... I have made a DO list already because I'm more knowledgeable about their admissions. I spent the other day going through the new MSAR and selecting every school that has no minimum GPA, and/or low posted minimum GPA. I took the MCAT 4/22 and I know I might be setting myself up for disappointment I'm just going off my FL 1/2 practice scores (510 & 511 respectively.) I'm going to list my grades out because I don't believe my GPA reflects my actual effort/knowledge/character. Went through some rough stuff my first year trying to do pre-reqs while working full-time. Took a year off and went at it again. I'm 28 and a non-URM.

Some of the semesters without heavy credits have general credits in there with A's in them.

Fall 2012

Spring 2013

Fall 2014

Spring 2015

Fall 2015

Spring 2016

Fall 2016

Spring 2017

4/22 MCAT: Hoping for at least my practice aamc practice exams (510-511)

This puts my sGPA 2.9 and cGPA 2.9

Research: Crap load of hours maybe 1 pub but I doubt in-time for apps.

EC: 800+ hours in non-healthcare, ~30 hours healthcare (I know this is low, but I have a hard time volunteering for organizations that have a wait-list.... I'm in a town with 2 universities so there are SOOOO MANY premeds doing typical or even unique healthcare volunteering.... I would rather help a organization that badly needs help than one that has arguably too much.)

Shadowing: 100+ DO, ~20 MD

Also I have mostly worked full-time during everything (I own my own etsy shop with my wife that takes up a lot of time but it pays for everything :) )

Some cool hobbies such as traveling and art that I'm proud of finding the time for them.

I'm not against doing a SMP, but honestly I do believe I have proven I can handle the classes. I'd rather just shoot for the stars the first time and try and save +30K on a reputable SMP. I also am aiming hard for DOs but I'm a hopeful man and throwing my hat in for MD won't hurt anything!

I don't think that you need an SMP. There are MD schools and ALL DO that believe in redemption. Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can advice.

BTW, pay VERY careful attention to the acceptance info charts for each school. State schools favor the home team vs those from out of state.

I acknowledge the fact that states favor their in-state students. To be honest I don't expect any secondaries with my stats from MD schools, but even my dream school has a 2.8 minimum posted. I would just be an idiot if I didn't attempt to apply just to save $40.... What are your thoughts @Goro on even applying this cycle to DO schools. DO schools may believe in redemption, but I still don't make the cutoff minimum for half (maybe with PCOM and AZCOM with their grade replacement, but these are great schools to begin with and they are not in shortage of qualified applicants.) I do believe I can dig deep and delay my gratification of applying, but at this point I really want to give it a go.

I'm going to let the people that have experience with this advise you, but I just wanted to say congratulations on the outstanding turnaround. Not everyone can do that!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow I didn't know a reapplicant was a "huge" disadvantage.... Ya you're right though after next year (virology, endocrinology, physiology, cell bio, and evo bio) I will be above a 3.0 if I hold my current trend. I asked my adviser (she really does try her best) and she said it wouldn't be that big of deal to reapply. I'm quite torn on this. Maybe I will just apply DO (I believe I can obtain a great education at DO and I do want to practice PC in rural america :) ).

I'm not super familiar with DO admissions, so I'm not sure if 3.0 is a hard floor for DO. A 2.9 with years of As will be viewed differently than most other 2.9s, but you still need to make it through an initial screen and schools get 10,000+ apps. Being a reapplicant will always be a disadvantage and applying costs a ton of $$.

I understand the instinct to just want to apply this year and that may be the best option if you are okay going to any DO school that accepts you (and do actually get accepted). But, applying this year will mean:
  1. greater chance at needing to be a reapplicant (and wasted app $$)
  2. fewer interviews/acceptances (if you are successful) so you'll have less say in this process (choosing where you want to go to school, following scholarship/finan aid money, etc.)
  3. MD is off the table (which it might not be next year)
I'd recommend finding out more about the feasibility of DO with a 2.9 (MD is no go so save you $$), and then deciding whether the risks of applying this year are worth it for you personally. Best of luck!

Contact some Admissions deans and see what they have to say.

I acknowledge the fact that states favor their in-state students. To be honest I don't expect any secondaries with my stats from MD schools, but even my dream school has a 2.8 minimum posted. I would just be an idiot if I didn't attempt to apply just to save $40.... What are your thoughts @Goro on even applying this cycle to DO schools. DO schools may believe in redemption, but I still don't make the cutoff minimum for half (maybe with PCOM and AZCOM with their grade replacement, but these are great schools to begin with and they are not in shortage of qualified applicants.) I do believe I can dig deep and delay my gratification of applying, but at this point I really want to give it a go.

Any thread updates? Was the MCAT in the expected range? Are you going to take another year of post-bacc classes? Apply to DO schools and some very targeted MD schools?

Any thread updates? Was the MCAT in the expected range? Are you going to take another year of post-bacc classes? Apply to DO schools and some very targeted MD schools?

Sadly the MCAT did not go as planned. First attempt I got a 500, and just got my score back on the second attempt (502). I'm pretty bummed about this to be honest. The first time I thought maybe it was my content so I hit content/practice test a lot... After my second attempt I realized it was test anxiety really doing me in. With the misdiagnoses of my performance I have put myself into a position where that may be the score I apply with next cycle (this semester along with next semester leaves no room for test prep.) I also know if I get accepted to med school this test anxiety will need to be addressed. Since my last post I have added some A's to the transcript and I've had some awesome experiences with patients. I'm doing a very heavy semester to dismiss any concerns admins might have on rigor of schedule (this is the first semester I have done solely academics compared to previous years where I ran my own business.) I was also blessed to get an undergraduate research grant to work on a pretty cool project I came up with.

Fall 2012

Spring 2013

Summer 2014
English 2020: A
Art: A

Fall 2014
Comm: A

Spring 2015

Fall 2015

Spring 2016

Fall 2016
Trig: A-
Rural Soc: A

Spring 2017

Summer 2017
Perspectives on Race (400 lvl): A
Art Catalyst for Change (400 lvl): A

Fall 2017 (Current semester and current grade)
Endocrinology (500 lvl): A
Cell Bio (500 lvl): A
Virology (500 lvl): A-
Evolutionary Biology (500 lvl): C through a B+ (really underestimated topic of class)
Western Art (400 lvl): A (I know I don't need these type of credits but I really love art and this was what my wife got her bachelors in so I'd like to be literate in her passion)
Under grad research: A

In total this is 18 credits. Evolutionary Biology will somewhat blemish the aesthetic of the semester, but I'm very happy with the overall performance of the semester so far. With my MCAT score I know I will have to focus on newer DO schools, but to be honest beggars can't be choosers! In the last 95 credits I have a 3.77 GPA and when I graduate that will be around 110 credits of ~3.8 GPA. I will be at or slightly below 3.0 sGPA (cGPA ~3.2) which is slightly heartbreaking, but I have not come this far not to apply (next cycle). I will update this thread from time to time.

Last edited:
Western Art (400 lvl): A (I know I don't need these type of credits but I really love art and this was what my wife got her bachelors in so I'd like to be literate in her passion)

To the quoted...mama ain't raised no dummy ;-) I'm glad marriage is different for you this time around.

Your plan of action, given where you are, sounds prudent. Getting the test anxiety under control now seems like a great idea...it seems like medical students are tested constantly.

I wish you the best of luck and will continue to follow this thread for your updates.

Reactions: 1 users