Major for anesthesiology?

SouthDakota

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to study anesthesiology after undergrad and I am having trouble deciding on a major. I have narrowed it down to chemistry and neuroscience. Which one do you think would be more helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

Choose what you like and think you would excel in rather than focusing on a specific major directly related to your prospective career. You will likely choose a different career path once you enter medical school when you really get to understand each specialty.

Overall, I would say neuroscience is more relevant to anesthesiology, but chemistry is definitely crucial as well :) and will certainly help you more on the MCAT.

I would suggest you look at biochemistry (major). Also take some advanced analytical chem classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to study anesthesiology after undergrad and I am having trouble deciding on a major. I have narrowed it down to chemistry and neuroscience. Which one do you think would be more helpful?

Are you wanting to be like a PhD or someone literally studying/researching anesthesiology, or are you wanting to go to medical school to become an anesthesiologist? If it's the first, I would go with either neuroscience or possibly biochem. But if you want to go to medical school, it doesn't matter at all. I'm starting MS3 soon and planning on anesthesiology, and I did Biology as a major. Once you get into med school, the sheer amount of knowledge you receive there renders the knowledge-base difference between various majors to be essentially non-existent.

The pathway to anesthesiology is college --> medical school --> anesthesiology residency. The best thing you can do in college to prepare for anesthesiology is get into medical school, and for that you should major in something that you 1) can do well in and 2) enjoy while still completing the necessary pre-reqs. Other than that, it won't matter what you study.

Reactions: 4 users
The pathway to anesthesiology is college --> medical school --> anesthesiology residency. The best thing you can do in college to prepare for anesthesiology is get into medical school, and for that you should major in something that you 1) can do well in and 2) enjoy while still completing the necessary pre-reqs. Other than that, it won't matter what you study.
Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

It won't matter unless you want to be a CRNA or Anesthesiologist Assistant. Then it will

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Go into the major you enjoy. You'll learn everything you need to learn in medical school and residency. Undergrad should be about doing well and enjoying yourself.

95% of med students change their specialty when their in med school.