Selecting a major

Kammy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know... med schools don't care about your major.

I've been swaying towards doing a Finance or Accounting Major as a backup plan if med school doesn't work out. If I were to major in Biology like a lot of Pre-Meds do, that degree becomes essentially useless because you can't do much with a degree in Biology. But if I were to do a Finance or Accounting major, then my backup plan would be becoming a CPA/MBA.

However, these 2 paths conflict as both require grad school and getting admitted to a grad business school, much like med school, requires work experience as well. Is it possible to balance these 2 options? Accounting Major on a Pre-Med track for example?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you take the required pre-med coursework (bio/chem/physics/orgo/others) and the MCAT you're free to major in whatever you want to. I was a Theater major sort of in a similar position as you. Like Accounting, literally nothing will overlap with the sciences courses you need for medical school, but it is very doable (doubling up on lab sciences in one semester, taking courses over the summer, etc.). I ended up deciding to add a chemistry major (having done chem and orgo) with the intent to go to grad school if medicine didn't work out.

I know... med schools don't care about your major.

I've been swaying towards doing a Finance or Accounting Major as a backup plan if med school doesn't work out. If I were to major in Biology like a lot of Pre-Meds do, that degree becomes essentially useless because you can't do much with a degree in Biology. But if I were to do a Finance or Accounting major, then my backup plan would be becoming a CPA/MBA.

However, these 2 paths conflict as both require grad school and getting admitted to a grad business school, much like med school, requires work experience as well. Is it possible to balance these 2 options? Accounting Major on a Pre-Med track for example?

Well again, med schools do not care about your major. But I really don't see the advantage of splitting the difference with a Accounting Major +pre-med courses. That seems painful and not useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well again, med schools do not care about your major. But I really don't see the advantage of splitting the difference with a Accounting Major +pre-med courses. That seems painful and not useful.

As useless as a Biology degree?

Well what can you do with an undergrad accounting degree? It seems to me that either way you are planning on grad school so why accounting?

Consider the fact that your plan A and B are two very difficult things to get into and succeed at what with all the experiences, time, energy for both.