Maimonides - what's it like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

croire

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has either gone through or rotated through maimonides in brooklyn? If so, can you tell me what its like in terms of workload, patient population, scheduling, and of course atmosphere? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone with any new information about this program? I cannot find anything here or on scutwork about the program!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has either gone through or rotated through maimonides in brooklyn? If so, can you tell me what its like in terms of workload, patient population, scheduling, and of course atmosphere? Thanks a lot!

I can't comment on workload since you didn't specify which specialty but here's the most important thing you need to know...

Speaking only English will get you nowhere in that place. Last time I was there (2y ago) the signs in the hospital were printed in 6 languages (English, Russian, Cantonese, Spanish, Creole and Hebrew). If you speak 3 or more of these languages you have a decent chance of being able to interact meaningfully w/ 50% of your patients. Not a criticism, just a statement of fact. I'm one of those pathetic Americans who speaks English and about 10 words in 6 other languages (I can get a beer or find a place to take a leak pretty much anywhere in the world) and I can count on 2 hands (w/o thumbs) the number of patients I had in 8 weeks at Maimo as a student that I could have a real conversation with.

Sorry - I was looking for information on their transitional year. Your comments are good to know though!

I have to disagree completely with the previous post, as a pediatrics senior resident at maimo. It's true that there are some non-english speaking patients, but it's about 25%. And, most are spanish, some chinese and rarely bengali. The russian-americans that are having babies speak english. Maimo is a great place to do peds, it's a great education.

I believe people really enjoy the transitional year, there is a lot of variety and not too much call.

Yeah, I got an interview there for a transitional and I am confused because the website said something like the program was for people who weren't sure what area of surgery they are going into, but I am going into anesthesia and I wanted to make sure I applied to the right program and that I won't be interviewing for nothing.

I only speak a bit of Spanish, hmmmm......

More comments about this program would be helpful.

the transitional program isn't just for pre-surgery residents. It's a real pre-lim year. They also have an osteopathic rotating internship program. Any program in NYC is going to have non-english speaking patients. That's just the way it is here. Having the signs in 6 languages just shows the hospital is culturally aware of life in NYC and willing at adapt to that. If you want to you can learn quite a bit of Spanish, I have and it's definately attractive to future employers. Or you could just use others to translate for you when needed.

I can't comment on workload since you didn't specify which specialty but here's the most important thing you need to know...

Speaking only English will get you nowhere in that place. Last time I was there (2y ago) the signs in the hospital were printed in 6 languages (English, Russian, Cantonese, Spanish, Creole and Hebrew). If you speak 3 or more of these languages you have a decent chance of being able to interact meaningfully w/ 50% of your patients. Not a criticism, just a statement of fact. I'm one of those pathetic Americans who speaks English and about 10 words in 6 other languages (I can get a beer or find a place to take a leak pretty much anywhere in the world) and I can count on 2 hands (w/o thumbs) the number of patients I had in 8 weeks at Maimo as a student that I could have a real conversation with.

having patients who dont speak english is a GOOD thing not a bad thing. who the f wants a patient who speaks english that asks question after question and you have to coddle. Gimme a full chinese population mixed in with mexican ob patients anyday of the week. Ill do that for my whole career.

I did my transitional internship there and had an amazing time. My internship class was very cohesive, as it is small...about 20(MD/DO). We all really loved it..and only having 2 months of IM..was awesome...compared to other people who got nailed with 6 months.
Houising was cheap ~$600/month and located withing 3 blocks of the hospital. I learned alot, the proximity to NYC ~20 min by train...

My old program director left, so I am not sure quite what the deal is now, as I was there '05-'06, but I would say it is worth looking into...

Best of luck!

I am also interested in finding out how certain 4th year electives are at Maimonides (and at Brooklyn Hospital too). Specifically, I would like to do peds GI and/or peds ER there. Has anyone completed a 4th year pediatric elective at Maimonides and/or Brooklyn Hospital? If so, which elective(s) and at which hospital? How was the elective in terms of hours, teaching, workload, and experience?

Nope...since then he's been @ Brookdale, then SUNY-Downstate for the past 3 years and now that he's done PO'ing the upper echelons there, he's headed off somewhere else.

Has that become a problem for him? lol

That's EVERY New York hospital, by the way. If you don't want multiculturalism and diversity, don't come to the most global city in the world, where >50% of residents are foreign-born.

The translation services are excellent, but you'll be surprised how much of a foreign language (particularly Spanish) you'll learn in the trenches.

It really is fun and makes taking a social history more than just a mundane exercise.